Fake Texts on Hunter's Laptop? Say it isn't so!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Fake Texts on Hunter's Laptop? Say it isn't so!

Post by Res Ipsa »

A retired Secret Service agent has sued the New York Post over its reporting based on fabricated texts from Hunter Biden's laptop. https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... -complaint The fabricated texts were the source of false claims in the Congressional Republicans' sham impeachment inquiry. https://www.nbcnews.com/investigations/ ... ce=Twitter

But that's not the interesting part. In 2022, the agent was visited by the FBI and IRS and asked about the texts. In fact, the IRS agent was one of the two whistleblowers who testified to Congress that Prosecutors interfered with their investigation. But the texts have nothing to do with tax issues, so what exactly was the IRS agent investigating?

I'm sure the republicans have already assigned a committee to investigate who tampered with evidence.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Vēritās
God

Re: Fake Texts on Hunter's Laptop? Say it isn't so!

Post by Vēritās »

And this is why legit journalism is so important. Only the New York Post, a propaganda mill for Right Wing conspiracy theorists, was provided access to the so called "Laptop hard drive contents" given to them by Rudy Giuliani, the Trump attorney who was recently exposed as a fraud who went on a mission to Ukraine to conjure up some kind of fake news story about the Bidens. The NYP's original article about the story lacked so much credibility that the authors of the piece didn't want their names attached to it. The NYP expected the entire world to just take their word for it and when other media outlets asked to review the source so they could report on it as well, the NYP and Giuliani denied than any access.

So naturally the rest of the legit media didn't give it much attention. When that happened, Right Wing fake news blamed legit media for "ignoring" the so-called bombshell story, when in reality they tried but were denied access to do their due diligence to verify the source. All they knew at the time for a fact was that an alleged laptop belonging to Hunter Biden was left at a store and it somehow managed to appear before Rudy Giuliani who wouldn't let anyone verify its contents. That in and of itself is enough of a red flag to ignore it, but they still reported on it anyway.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

In October 2016, the FBI publicly stating they were reopening the case to investigate potential new incriminating information related to Clinton's server likely led to Trump being elected. It wasn't the only factor but it played a role.

It's understandable why they thought the Hunter laptop story just needed to be put out in the news cycle to get the same negative campaign benefits against Biden. And why they were outraged when it didn't work out the same way.

On the positive side, it became a reasonable marker for where folks got their news. What people said about the laptop traced onto various news outlets in very discreet ways.
yellowstone123
Bishop

Post by yellowstone123 »

People being paid to withhold information; people paid to place false information. People glued to their phones or to the screens of computers for news. I think it might be best to make up your mind 90 days prior to the election. Of course make sure your candidate is still alive a week prior.
“One of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.