Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Vaccines and therapeutics

Post by Jersey Girl »

I decided to post the entire announcement from the above link. You can go there if you want to lay eyes on it for yourselves.
FACT SHEET: President Biden Announces Increased Vaccine Supply, Initial Launch of the Federal Retail Pharmacy Program, and Expansion of FEMA Reimbursement to States

FEBRUARY 02, 2021 • STATEMENTS AND RELEASES

States, Tribes, and territories will receive a 5 percent supply increase this week, and Americans will soon have easier access to vaccinations through local pharmacies

As the U.S. surpasses 26 million COVID-19 infections, President Biden took additional steps today to implement his comprehensive National Strategy to combat the COVID-19 pandemic. These steps include increasing the vaccine supply to states, Tribes, and territories and increasing funding to jurisdictions to help turn vaccines into vaccinations. And, the President announced that starting next week, the first phase of the federal pharmacy program will launch and select pharmacies nationwide will start offering vaccinations for their communities.

These new steps will help meet the President’s goal of administering 100 million shots in 100 days and expand access to vaccines to more Americans in the coming weeks.

The President is taking the following actions today:

Expanding Vaccine Supply: Building on last week’s announcement, the Biden-Harris Administration will increase overall, weekly vaccine supply to states, Tribes, and territories to 10.5 million doses nationwide beginning this week. This is a 22% increase since taking office on January 20. The Administration is committing to maintaining this as the minimum supply level for the next three weeks, and we will continue to work with manufacturers in their efforts to ramp up supply.

Launching First Phase of the Federal Retail Pharmacy Program for COVID-19 Vaccination: As part of the Biden-Harris Administration’s efforts to increase access to COVID-19 vaccines, starting on February 11, those eligible for the vaccine will have the opportunity to be vaccinated at select pharmacies across the country through the Federal Retail Pharmacy Program for COVID-19 Vaccination. This program is a public-private partnership with 21 national pharmacy partners and networks of independent pharmacies representing over 40,000 pharmacy locations nationwide (listed below). It is a key component of the Administration’s National Strategy to expand equitable access to vaccines for the American public.

As the first phase of this program launches, select retail pharmacies nationwide will receive limited vaccine supply to vaccinate priority groups at no cost. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) worked with states to select initial pharmacy partners based on a number of factors including their ability to reach some of the populations most at risk for severe illness from COVID-19. Americans should check their pharmacy’s website to find out if vaccine is available as supply will be limited in the initial phase. More information is available at cdc.gov/covid19.

Increasing Reimbursements to States: Central to the Biden-Harris Administration’s COVID-19 National Strategy is ensuring states, Tribes, territories, and jurisdictions have the resources they need to defeat the virus. That’s why, in his second day in office, President Biden directed the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to fully reimburse states for the cost of National Guard Personnel and emergency costs. Today, President Biden is announcing that the administration will go even further, retroactively reimbursing states fully for FEMA-eligible services – including masks, gloves, emergency feeding actions, sheltering at risk populations, and mobilization of the National Guard – back dated to the beginning of the pandemic in January 2020. This reimbursement is estimated to total $3-5 billion and is only a small share of the resources that states need to fight this pandemic — including for testing, genomic sequencing, and mass vaccination centers. To fully support states, Tribes, and territories’ needs to contain the pandemic and vaccinate their populations, President Biden is requesting $350 billion from Congress in American Rescue Plan.

Participating Federal Pharmacy Partners (not all will be active in every state in initial phase)

Chain Pharmacies
• Walgreens (including Duane Reade)
• CVS Pharmacy, Inc. (including Long’s)
• Walmart, Inc. (including Sam’s Club)
• Rite Aid Corp.
• The Kroger Co. (including Kroger, Harris Teeter, Fred Meyer, Fry’s, Ralphs, King Soopers, Smiths, City Market, Dillons, Mariano’s, Pick-n-Save, Copps, Metro Market)
• Publix Super Markets, Inc.
• Costco Wholesale Corp.
• Albertsons Companies, Inc. (including Osco, Jewel-Osco, Albertsons, Albertsons Market, Safeway, Tom Thumb, Star Market, Shaw’s, Haggen, Acme, Randalls, Carrs, Market Street, United, Vons, Pavilions, Amigos, Lucky’s, Pak n Save, Sav-On)
• Hy-Vee, Inc.
• Meijer Inc.
• H-E-B, LP
• Retail Business Services, LLC (including Food Lion, Giant Food, The Giant Company, Hannaford Bros Co, Stop & Shop)
• Winn-Dixie Stores Inc. (including Winn-Dixie, Harveys, Fresco Y Mas)

Network Administrators
• Topco Associates, LLC (including Acme Fresh Markets, Associated Food Stores, Big-Y Pharmacy and Wellness Center, Brookshire’s Pharmacy, Super One Pharmacy, FRESH by Brookshire’s Pharmacy, Coborn’s Pharmacy, Cash Wise Pharmacy, MarketPlace Pharmacy, Giant Eagle, Hartig Drug Company, King Kullen, Food City Pharmacy, Ingles Pharmacy, Raley’s, Bel Air, Nob Hill Pharmacies, Save Mart Pharmacies, Lucky Pharmacies, SpartanNash, Price Chopper, Market 32, Tops Friendly Markets, ShopRite, Wegmans, Weis Markets, Inc.)
• CPESN USA, LLC
• GeriMed (long-term care and retail pharmacies)
• Good Neighbor Pharmacy and AmerisourceBergen Drug Corporation’s pharmacy services administrative organization (PSAO), Elevate Provider
• Health Mart Systems, Inc.
• Innovatix (long-term care pharmacies)
• LeaderNET and Medicine Shoppe, Cardinal Health’s PSAOs
• Managed Health Care Associates (retail and long-term care pharmacies)

###
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Recent update on promising therapeutic for Covid-10 treatment, fluvoxamine, a common, inexpensive drug commonly used as an anti-depressant. The more we learn about it the better it looks. Apparently several double blind studies have shown that of covid-19 patients in these studies, only the patients getting the placebo get sick enough to require to require hospitalization before eventual recovery, let alone die from it. Hopefully these results continue to hold true, and that treatment soon gets approved and widely available.

If this treatment really continues to prove nearly 100% effective in preventing death or even the need for hospitalization because of covid-19, that greatly reduces the immediate urgency of getting everyone vaccinated, and would be a good backup to vaccination. I suspect that the effectiveness of this drug will not be as much affected by new mutations as vaccines are. It might even save more lives than the vaccines themselves.
Last edited by Gunnar on Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:33 am
Now, federal authorities say belief in debunked claims went beyond the vaccine. The pharmacist, who has agreed to plead guilty to charges of attempting trying to spoil the vaccine, also believes the Earth is flat and that the sky is not real, according to court documents.
subs would be impressed with that guy, for sure.
Are you saying that subs is a flat earther? Has he ever said or implied that? I would not be greatly surprised to find that he really is.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:58 pm
I have an appointment to take my first shot of the Moderna vaccine Feb 11.

Gunnar my friend did you get your vaccine? How are you doing?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:47 am
Gunnar wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:58 pm
I have an appointment to take my first shot of the Moderna vaccine Feb 11.

Gunnar?????

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:54 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:47 am

Gunnar?????
Don't be a nag--such impatience! It has only been 5 hours since I got my first vaccination! ;)

Yes, I got my first vaccination of the Moderna vaccine today. My only reaction to the shot so far was a tiny pin prick sensation that faded away almost instantly. 15 minutes later I went home. I have had no other symptoms since, and even forgot that I still had the patch on my arm until reading your post, just now, reminded me, and I took it off. I don't even have a fever (I just now checked, and my temperature is 97.9 degrees Fahrenheit). I am scheduled to get my second dose on March 11. I'll let everyone know how that went afterwards. :)
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:53 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:54 am

Gunnar?????
Don't be a nag--such impatience! It has only been 5 hours since I got my first vaccination! ;)
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o You think someone who cares enough about you to remember when you were going to get your first shot and who wanted to know how you were managing, didn't see you posting and thought you might have had complications....is a nag? A NAG?

A NAG?

Yes, I got my first vaccination of the Moderna vaccine today. My only reaction to the shot so far was a tiny pin prick sensation that faded away almost instantly. 15 minutes later I went home. I have had no other symptoms since, and even forgot that I still had the patch on my arm until reading your post, just now, reminded me, and I took it off. I don't even have a fever (I just now checked, and my temperature is 97.9 degrees Fahrenheit). I am scheduled to get my second dose on March 11. I'll let everyone know how that went afterwards. :)
Fine. Cool. Fabulous.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

For the rest of the reading community who do not refer to their caring friends as nags.

We have another report from a friend here on the ground. The man is about 71 years old. When he got his first dose of vaccine, he developed a headache that went away in a matter of hours. He got his second dose earlier this week and the report is that it "kicked his ass". Stayed in bed with extreme fatigue for 24 hours and then was totally fine.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm ready whenever I get the invitation. I'll make sure there is food ready that can just be reheated in the microwave and just roll with it. 24 hours of extreme fatigue? No problem!

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:11 am
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o You think someone who cares enough about you to remember when you were going to get your first shot and who wanted to know how you were managing, didn't see you posting and thought you might have had complications....is a nag? A NAG?

A NAG?
Come on now, Jersey Girl. You know me well enough to know when I'm teasing you. I was deeply touched and gratified by your concern for how I am doing! :) That means a lot to me! I'm happy to be one of the many people you care for and are concerned about, just as I and many others admire and care about you.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:24 am
For the rest of the reading community who do not refer to their caring friends as nags.

We have another report from a friend here on the ground. The man is about 71 years old. When he got his first dose of vaccine, he developed a headache that went away in a matter of hours. He got his second dose earlier this week and the report is that it "kicked his ass". Stayed in bed with extreme fatigue for 24 hours and then was totally fine.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm ready whenever I get the invitation. I'll make sure there is food ready that can just be reheated in the microwave and just roll with it. 24 hours of extreme fatigue? No problem!
Update: Now, 8 hours after the vaccination I am feeling a growing bit of soreness at the injection site, and a little bit of stiffness in both arms when I flex them. We'll see how I feel tomorrow. I can hardly wait to have the second injection over with, but judging from the report above and what others have said, I am feeling a teensy bit anxious about it.