Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Vaccines and therapeutics

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

The vaccination went smoothly today. I was in-and-out in 30 minutes (which included 15 minutes of observation). Everything was neat and orderly; the army was there helping my law enforcement branch distribute the vaccines.

Right now my arm is pretty sore at the vaccination site; far worse than any other vaccine or shot I've ever had (and I had 3 RhoGam shots every pregnancy!). No swelling or redness, but it hurts to lift or move the arm. I also feel kind of tired, but that could be because I was up until 12:30 AM last night / this morning and then got up at 4:45 AM for jiu-jitsu.

My husband is taking the baby and I am turning in early. Night y'all.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

Oh, last thing: they asked me if I was pregnant or breastfeeding and I said "breastfeeding." They then pronounced that I was a "moderate risk." Moderate risk of what?

I'm not sure but my friends think it just means they don't have enough data on pregnant and breastfeeding women and how the vaccine impacts us differently, if at all. I've actually signed up for an observational study that's going to ask breastfeeding women who get the vaccine about how we handle it, so hopefully I can contribute a bit to the research on this.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:39 am
Keeping my fingers crossed that neither of you exceed level ‘3’ on the chart below ...

:lol: now that's a pain chart that would be helpful. I think I will print that out.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

MsJack wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:40 am
The vaccination went smoothly today. I was in-and-out in 30 minutes (which included 15 minutes of observation). Everything was neat and orderly; the army was there helping my law enforcement branch distribute the vaccines.

Right now my arm is pretty sore at the vaccination site; far worse than any other vaccine or shot I've ever had (and I had 3 RhoGam shots every pregnancy!). No swelling or redness, but it hurts to lift or move the arm. I also feel kind of tired, but that could be because I was up until 12:30 AM last night / this morning and then got up at 4:45 AM for jiu-jitsu.

My husband is taking the baby and I am turning in early. Night y'all.
Okay, wow. That sounds like my reaction to the first Shingles shot. Not being able to raise the arm and feeling energy zapped. I'd like to say that on the second Shingles booster, I had little to no reaction at all---just sleepy and tired.

I hope you have a good night's rest and will feel your normal self by tomorrow! Happy to hear that Dad will take over tonight! Thanks for reporting back!

If you look back in here, would you let me know if you took any Tylenol? The reason I ask is because I can't take any other type of pain reliever except that. Ibuprofen would be my first choice, but that went out the window about 3 years ago for me.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

MsJack wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:49 am
Oh, last thing: they asked me if I was pregnant or breastfeeding and I said "breastfeeding." They then pronounced that I was a "moderate risk." Moderate risk of what?

I'm not sure but my friends think it just means they don't have enough data on pregnant and breastfeeding women and how the vaccine impacts us differently, if at all. I've actually signed up for an observational study that's going to ask breastfeeding women who get the vaccine about how we handle it, so hopefully I can contribute a bit to the research on this.
Why do they make such vague statements? No one knows...but good on ya for sharing your experience in the obs study!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:38 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:56 pm
Jack and Bret,

Please report back on reactions to the first dose of vaccine ...
Happy to oblige. Not a lot to report so far, but for what it may be worth ...

About 22 hours ago the missus and I went to a local hospital where she received her first dose of the Moderna juice, the same type Jack is scheduled to receive tomorrow. She reported no initial reaction to the shot; didn't feel a thing, in fact. My wife works in healthcare (she's a Physical Therapist) and is employed by the same company as the hospital's staff, and during the 15-minute post-injection monitoring period she talked shop with the nurse and was told that there had been no cases of post-injection drama (anaphylaxis) at the facility.

Later in the afternoon the injection site (upper arm) became increasingly tender, and by bed time she described the soreness as being similar to the sensation she experiences after a tetanus shot, except that with tetanus the soreness begins shortly after injection. Her arm is still sore this morning, and she mentioned it caused her some discomfort during the night. Today she's feeling some body aches; not new aches, mind you, but her 'normal' aches are "2 points higher" (on a 10-point scale). There have been no signs of fever so far (fingers crossed).

And that's it so far; we'll take things easy today and see how she feels as the day progresses.

One thing that came as a pleasant surprise: she was very impressed with the system the hospital has in place to process injection recipients. It was very orderly and efficient; she brought reading material and a crossword puzzle but these were unnecessary precautions. Heck, due to limitations on patient visits even parking at the hospital was a breeze.

The nurse she chatted with mentioned that the hospital is administering an average of 20 COVID vaccinations every 15 minutes. I don't know if that's good or bad, but one restricting factor is simply that of available hospital space: the post-injection observation area was full and a meeting room normally used by the Board of Directors was opened to handle the overflow.
This was an excellent review! I would like to know if she felt a need to take Tylenol or other pain reliever and if so, what type? Tylenol is all I'm allowed to take.

I have heard from people who had almost instant headache and only one that felt their heart speed up right after injection--of course that could be anxiety. Also one who experienced a bit of dizziness.

I think that given all I have read so far, I am going to make sure I stick around about an hour after injection and hopefully it will be in one of the hospitals here in case I need to get my heart shocked. :shock:

Please let us hear about the second dose. I am reading that the second dose is more likely to produce side effects than the first. Likewise if I hear from a second doser, I will report the experience second hand here. We've got one friend who should be next up for a second dose.

Slava Ukraini!
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Lem wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:51 am
:lol: now that's a pain chart that would be helpful. I think I will print that out.
Credit goes to the blog, Hyperbole and a Half, from about a decade ago. This chart has never failed to make me laugh even after all of these years (disclaimer: my sense of humor probably isn’t very ‘normal’, lol).

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2 ... y.html?m=1

I do wish that the author still actively blogged but she hasn’t added anything for a few years now. : ( in my opinion, her posts were entertaining and I find her unique illustrating style to be hilarious. You’ve probably seen one drawing of hers in your web travels that was subsequently turned into a meme - ‘Clean All the Things!’ -

... from this entry -

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2 ... t.html?m=1

Check her blog out if you’re in the mood for a smile!
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:25 am
I would like to know if she felt a need to take Tylenol or other pain reliever and if so, what type? Tylenol is all I'm allowed to take.
She's taken no pain relievers. She took it easy yesterday and today, and this evening she says she's feeling a bit better.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:39 am
Bret Ripley wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:38 pm
Today she's feeling some body aches; not new aches, mind you, but her 'normal' aches are "2 points higher" (on a 10-point scale).
Keeping my fingers crossed that neither of you exceed level ‘3’ on the chart below ...
Thanks canpakes! Apparently your crossed digits did the trick. (Loved the pain chart, by the way.)