Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Vaccines and therapeutics

Post by Jersey Girl »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:31 pm
Perhaps she thought (because of my age) I would have already had this experience, but I hadn't, and I was not prepared for those few days of recovery. I plan to let them know.
That statement really hits home. I have no idea how old you are but I am surely older than you. Anyway, I can't tell you how much I get the impression that folks think whatever is going on is normal to me. Sometimes I have to remind them "I don't know the answer to your question. This is all new to me. I've never been this old before and I only get to do it one time." That's not true of all my medical folks. It's mostly the MA's.

Otherwise I, too, have such an excellent health care team who are totally into patient education!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:03 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:31 pm
Perhaps she thought (because of my age) I would have already had this experience, but I hadn't, and I was not prepared for those few days of recovery. I plan to let them know.
That statement really hits home. I have no idea how old you are but I am surely older than you. Anyway, I can't tell you how much I get the impression that folks think whatever is going on is normal to me. Sometimes I have to remind them "I don't know the answer to your question. This is all new to me. I've never been this old before and I only get to do it one time." That's not true of all my medical folks. It's mostly the MA's.

Otherwise I, too, have such an excellent health care team who are totally into patient education!
I thought I'd had the shingles vax, but it might have been pneumonia. I don't recall much of a reaction and, after reading the list of shingles vax side effects, I'm thinking I didn't get that one Sounds memorable. I've known a couple of folks with shingles, and I don't want it. My grandma had it in her eye -- miserable.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:16 pm
I thought I'd had the shingles vax, but it might have been pneumonia. I don't recall much of a reaction and, after reading the list of shingles vax side effects, I'm thinking I didn't get that one Sounds memorable. I've known a couple of folks with shingles, and I don't want it. My grandma had it in her eye -- miserable.
Just check your shot records if you can. If you need the shingles shot--get it. It's a new one now anyway administered in two doses. I never heard my mother so mentally messed up in my entire life as when she had shingles and we were clear out at McChord with a toddler. She was talking about cutting off her arms, okay. Fortunately the lady friend down the street kept an eye on her and I told her to let me know if I should come out because I knew my mother wouldn't tell me herself.

Speaking of children, if a peanut like me can go through L&D twice without medications, I figure I can get through just about anything. And that right there is the mindset that I wish the general public would have. "I can do that" instead of worrying about flu-like symptoms from a COVID shot or wearing a mask. :roll:

by the way, we're going to need proof of COVID vaccine to travel internationally. I don't care if the side effects have me laid up for a week, when international travel opens up next year, this chick's on a plane.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Res Ipsa wrote:
I've known a couple of folks with shingles, and I don't want it.
You are right about that. I had it on my shoulders and the back of my neck when I was about 20 (some time ago). It was horribly painful, and hung around for ever. About eight weeks ago I gratefully accepted my doctor's invitation to get a shingles vaccination (under communism, where I live, it was free of course, although I pay for that by living in chains and not having a gun to shoot viruses with... heh, heh!). No problem at all.

Just do it.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Chap wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:05 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
I've known a couple of folks with shingles, and I don't want it.
You are right about that. I had it on my shoulders and the back of my neck when I was about 20 (some time ago). It was horribly painful, and hung around for ever. About eight weeks ago I gratefully accepted my doctor's invitation to get a shingles vaccination (under communism, where I live, it was free of course, although I pay for that by living in chains and not having a gun to shoot viruses with... heh, heh!). No problem at all.

Just do it.

Chap can you get recurrences of shingles?

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:55 pm
With regard to shingles, Schmo, let me tell you something. Years ago my mother got the shingles. We lived across country and we called back and forth every Saturday or Sunday. When she had shingles, Schmo, that was the first time in my life that I really feared my mother would harm herself. She always soldiered her way through anything and my prime example of how to push, pull, drag oneself through challenge/crisis. But when she got shingles she wasn't herself. She was in such all-encompassing misery. She cried and told me it felt like razor blades on her skin. I was scared to death for her because she lived alone.

So when the shingles vaccine came out, I ran for it like I was running for my life and that was years ago and long before I ever left my job. I managed to talk the base into inoculating me early age-wise for both shingles and pneumonia on account of my work and the population I worked with.

Yeah, don't mess with shingles. Everyone here who is due to get the shingles shot--get off your duff and go get it.
I've had others give me a similar talk, and yet I feel good reading it here again, given what I went through with that shot.

'Preciate it, Jersey Girl. I will absolutely get the second shot.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:49 pm
Still, I've heard shingles is even worse. I'll take the second shot.
Wise decision! One of my fellow tenors in the chorale group I sing with had a particularly bad case of shingles years ago, and the last time I spoke to him, he still had not fully recovered from its lingering effects.

My wife inquired about getting shingles vaccination years ago, and was told that since she was not yet 65, she was too young to worry about it. One month later, she came down with the shingles. She suspected that was what it was, but since it was (fortunately) a relatively mild case, her doctor initially thought she was wrong and dismissed her concerns, until a second examination and test confirmed that she indeed had the shingles. Subsequently they told her that since she had now already had shingles, nothing would be gained by getting a shingles shot, so she didn't.

Because of my wife's experience, I made it a point to get my own shingles vaccination. I was a bit luckier than you, though. I experienced almost no adverse effects from it.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Wired magazine writes up several reasons to be skeptical about the press release issued on the Oxford vaccine. https://www.wired.com/story/the-astraze ... R_REG_GATE

As with any vaccine or therapeutic, what counts is the data that should be reviewed before any approval, emergency basis or otherwise.
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

There's a video that will play if you wait a couple of seconds. The video is about Germany's plans for distribution and that of other countries. Example, Putin offering Sputnik to anyone who needs it in the world. Yeah, no. Sorry, Vlad, not today.
CDC committee discussing Covid-19 vaccine distribution calls emergency meeting for Tuesday

A committee that advises the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention about vaccines has scheduled an emergency meeting for Tuesday.

The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices posted the meeting announcement on its website with little explanation.

While it does not say explicitly that the meeting is to discuss coronavirus vaccine distribution, there’s no other likely reason for such a meeting to be called.

ACIP met on Monday to discuss whether to recommend any coronavirus vaccine that might get emergency use authorization (EUA) from the US Food and Drug Administration and to talk about who should be first in line to get one.

While the FDA approves or authorizes a vaccine, it’s the CDC, based on ACIP’s advice, that decides who should get vaccines and when.

ACIP usually meets regularly three times a year but the approval of a pandemic vaccine is an unusual circumstance.

The CDC did not immediately answer requests for explanation about the meeting.

So far, Pfizer is the only company to apply for an EUA from the FDA. The submission to the FDA was based on results from the Phase 3 clinical trial of Pfizer's vaccine, which began in the United States on July 27 and enrolled more than 43,000 volunteers.
https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/cor ... 53e400b978

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

More good news, as Moderna applies for EUA:
Of 196 #covid19 cases
185 were in placebo group
11 in vaccine group
- 94,1% efficacy

All 30 severe #covid19 cases were in placebo group
- so that’s, well, 100% for now

There was one #covid19 death in the placebo group
And maybe just a moment of silence for the volunteer who got two shots of placebo and died of COVID.

https://Twitter.com/angie_rasmussen/sta ... 09922?s=20
he/him