COVID is getting worse

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Re: COVID is getting worse

Post by dantana »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:39 pm
Speaking of running through the Deep South:

https://apnews.com/article/health-monro ... ed5a7e3440

tl;dr - Covid conspiracy Congresscritter catches the ‘flu’ and dies. Am I sad for him and his family? Nah. I’m not. I’m sad for the families that either didn’t know better or did everything in their power to avoid it, but were infected anyway. But if ya gonna campaign maskless, attend the White House xmas party maskless, and talk about your 4th amendment right to go maskless in the middle of a pandemic ... see ya, bro.
Yeah. This one right here is borderline too callous for some other certain venues, but I'm borrowing it anyway.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:58 pm
Mary Ann! :(

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/30/entertai ... index.html

RIP

- Doc
I know. Mary Ann has left the island. :(
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Speaking of running through the Deep South:

https://apnews.com/article/health-monro ... ed5a7e3440

tl;dr - Covid conspiracy Congresscritter catches the ‘flu’ and dies. Am I sad for him and his family? Nah. I’m not. I’m sad for the families that either didn’t know better or did everything in their power to avoid it, but were infected anyway. But if ya gonna campaign maskless, attend the White House xmas party maskless, and talk about your 4th amendment right to go maskless in the middle of a pandemic ... see ya, bro.
I have to agree with you on this. There are folks who don't know better. There are folks who do everything they can to stay well. And there are folks who died while in the process of tending to the medical needs of others, whom I regard as warriors. They died on the front lines while waging war.

But the people who show callous disrespect for human life? I can't go there on their account. Someone else will have to take that on.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dawn Wells (Mary Ann) from Gilligan's Island has died of COVID-19.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Just heard that a family friend who is a lung cancer survivor has tested positive. Of everyone I've known to test positive, she and her husband are the two I'm most genuinely worried about. Most everyone else has been pretty young, and the odds seemed to be in their favor which proved true given they came out the other end ok. 2020 certainly knew how to put a bow on for it's going away party.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

My right-wing friend's in-laws, both older and the guy has heart disease, allow their son to live with them and he brought in a new GF to live there. She got sick and refused to get tested (I'll let you guess party affiliation). Well, the parents got sick and tested positive. The mother is getting worse and worried the next stop is hospital, but the father doing pretty good. Well, not really. I heard today that he'd been telling them he was doing great so they wouldn't worry about him.
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

133032738_10224046200923843_3995308703727870211_n.jpg
133032738_10224046200923843_3995308703727870211_n.jpg (109.57 KiB) Viewed 1404 times
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Covid conspiracy Congresscritter catches the ‘flu’ and dies. Am I sad for him and his family? Nah. I’m not. I’m sad for the families that either didn’t know better or did everything in their power to avoid it, but were infected anyway. But if ya gonna campaign maskless, attend the White House xmas party maskless, and talk about your 4th amendment right to go maskless in the middle of a pandemic ... see ya, bro.
You're looking at this all wrong. Republicans like this are heroes for sacrificing their lives for herd immunity.

Or is it herd mentality? That seems closer to the mark.

(But seriously, “F” people like that. They are only victims of their own belligerence and stupidity. I don't sympathize with people who fling themselves off a cliff while trying to drag society with them, either.)
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I actually think you’re spot on. They’ll just see their fellow deniers as heroes who died for their 4th amendment rights or whatever. Never mind all the other freedoms they happily give up for the good of society, this, this is the hill to die on. Literally.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:22 pm
I actually think you’re spot on. They’ll just see their fellow deniers as heroes who died for their 4th amendment rights or whatever.
Hmph. I was mostly joking, but that is a depressing probability.

It shouldn't be a mystery to me that the place I go in my mind to access satire (make things up) is the place right wingers seem to go for their actual world view... the difference is I know when I'm making things up.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.