Pandemic: Life on the ground

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: Pandemic: Life on the ground

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:57 am
Veritas, Gunnar, and MeDot.

When you suspected that you had Covid, what were your next steps? What I'm getting at is did you go to the doctor, call your doctor, and for Veritas and Gunnar, what were the steps you took to getting Paxlovid?

What's the process for that? Because I honestly don't know...
In my family's case, as soon as we had symptoms, we tested ourselves with the home test kits we had on hand. It was far from the first time we ever tested ourselves for Covid -- just the first time we tested positive. We immediately contacted our local county Covid center and got scheduled the very next day to get the more comprehensive tests, which reconfirmed our home tests. They then provided us all with Paxlovid they already had on hand, to be taken twice a day for the next 5 days. I also informed my regular doctor that I had Covid. I was prescribed the lower renal dosage consisting of 2 pills to be taken twice per day and the other 3 in my household got the full dose of 3 pills to be taken twice per day. We all seem to be over it now and all of us had fairly mild symptoms, with mine being the mildest. We all had rebound symptoms a few days after our initial recovery, with my rebound being slightly stronger than theirs, but still fairly mild, in fact milder than almost any common cold I remember having had in the past. I will test again later today to see if I still test positive. I think it likely that our symptoms were so mild because we all previously had 3 doses of the vaccine.

It's more than likely that the process set up for your county will differ somewhat from what we experienced here.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Here’s a thread that is pretty representative of what I’ve been reading about at home tests and being contagious. https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1548 ... 37824.html

Also, Mike Ryan of WHO was very clear — if you’re testing Positive on your at home test, you can transmit COVID.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

I took another home test for covid a few hours ago. The positive test indicator line was extremely thin and so faint I could just barely see it with the help of a bright light. That is at least somewhat encouraging, I guess. Certainly more comforting than the very clear positive indication I got 4 days ago.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

My most recent home covid test on Jul 19 was unambiguously negative.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Gunnar wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:35 pm
My most recent home covid test on Jul 19 was unambiguously negative.
Congrats!🎉🎈🎊🍾
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

The new Pfizer vax is available in our area. The Boy is getting his today. This is the one formulated against Omicron variants.

And we'll just see how this goes...
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:23 pm
The new Pfizer vax is available in our area. The Boy is getting his today. This is the one formulated against Omicron variants.

And we'll just see how this goes...
So...no reaction whatsoever. I'll get mine next week. Apparently this current Pfizer shot is partly made of the old vaccine and the other part is the Omicron variants defense vaccine.

He was told not to get the flu shot until October because it only lasts 6 months. Not sure why the pharm decided to tell him that, but that's what they said.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

COVID came to our house last week. It started with our daughter and her roommates calling to let us know two members of their household had tested positive with symptoms. My wife had just spent an afternoon with them the day before, and she tested positive the following day.

I took a test each morning as well, coming up negative and no symptoms. It's been over a week with everyone now testing negative.

It also happened I had gotten the latest booster plus the flu shot the week before due to being a presenter at a conference. So not really anything more than an anecdotal bit of evidence, but I'll take a shot over getting sick any day.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

honorentheos wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:49 pm
COVID came to our house last week. It started with our daughter and her roommates calling to let us know two members of their household had tested positive with symptoms. My wife had just spent an afternoon with them the day before, and she tested positive the following day.

I took a test each morning as well, coming up negative and no symptoms. It's been over a week with everyone now testing negative.

It also happened I had gotten the latest booster plus the flu shot the week before due to being a presenter at a conference. So not really anything more than an anecdotal bit of evidence, but I'll take a shot over getting sick any day.
Glad to hear you escaped, Honor, and that no one had a serious case.

I got fluvalently boosted today. Or maybe bivalently floosted. Or whatever the term is for having two sore arms tomorrow. :lol: :lol: :lol:
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:49 pm

Wow. There is something they're calling (I think) Super Dodgers. That is those of us who have never contracted Covid. Still and all, I'd like to think it was your booster that gave your super powers! I'm glad you dodge it and am very sorry to hear about your family members.

I still haven't gotten the new booster. I don't remember why, but I just haven't gotten to it yet. :shock: Too many irons in the fire.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Slava Ukraini!