Happy Treason Weasel Day!!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: Happy Treason Weasel Day!!

Post by honorentheos »

I don't know if anyone ever saw the movie, In the Mouth of Madness, by John Carpenter that came out in the mid-90s. It's not particularly great, and I'd guess it hasn't aged well in the way many mediocre movies go rotten over time while the standouts from the same time period manage to hold up.

Quality of movie aside - and spoilers I guess - the central premise of the movie came to mind this last week after a particularly discordant series of Facebook posts from the diehard Trump followers among my friends and family. The movie is about a Stephen King-styled immensely popular author who writes modern Lovecraftian horror who disappeared before his latest promised book was due to be published. Sam Neill plays the hardboiled skeptical insurance investigator who is sent to find him, all the while believing it is a publicity stunt by the publisher. Instead, the author has become a Lovecraftian godlike conduit between the horrors he has written about and the material world. How? Because, as he puts it to Sam Neill, more people believed in his stories than believe the Bible. This belief becomes for him a supernatural power that the horrors that had been speaking to him use to manifest as he writes them into existence. Sam Neill goes mad as the reality he knew existed is taken over by the world being written into reality by this author. It ends with him laughing maniacally while in an empty movie theater showing the movie the viewer just watched. Like I said, the movie isn't great. But the concept is now on full display as the reality we inhabit collectively is one where the claims of a stolen election have been grafted onto decades of claims liberals are outright evil (baby murders, sloth sponsors, freedom haters, power mad villains) such that the reality we live in is not created out of facts but beliefs so far fetched and in conflict with the evidence it feels Lovecraftian. It's always been this way in that we have always lived in world created from beliefs about facts, but it's taken a serious turn for the potentially disastrous as those beliefs from a critical mass of individuals have strayed into horror.

The challenge here is that the disastrous beliefs are what need replaced to reverse their manifesting reality, but we can only argue facts which are not as effective as we like to think they are in changing belief patterns. So what is? I argue it requires challenging one emotionally. Jan. 6 had some effect because it sparked fear in some, shock in others, and disgust in even more still. To see an attack on our Capitol had a visceral effect on people who otherwise were fine believing the lies being sold that the election was stolen, the courts were dismissing cases for procedural reasons rather based on the lack of actual evidence, and overall would have been ok if Trump had succeeded in overturning the general election. Now, with emotional distance, the facts haven't changed but the beliefs that made Jan 6th possible are regrouping, stronger than ever. The partisan machine is spitting out piece after piece reasserting the same narratives that feed - and feed on - the hate that gave rise to Jan. 6th.

I suggest checking out the odds on Trump being the Republican nominee and winner in 2024 right now if anyone thinks otherwise:
https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us ... 024/winner

The fact he's getting 6:1 to 10:1, right behind Biden at 5:1 and Harris at 4:1 after what happened less than a month ago? :(

Ivanka is getting odds favoring her election over almost every other potential Republican challenger as well. While not reality it does tell us about the emotional state and beliefs of the Republican party at the moment.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:34 am
MeDotOrg wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:26 pm
As much as I love Treason Weasel Day, I'm wondering how January, 2021 will be remembered in history. Pearl Harbor works well because the location was so exotic no other event was associated with it prior to the attack.
So you are suggesting the name Treason Weasel Day puts too much emphasis on Trump and his supporters, rather than the insurrection and sedition they were perpetrating?
It's just that Treason Weasel Day doesn't quite capture the nonsense of the act itself. Yes, there were weasels committing treason, but to what end? What did they thing would happen? The conversation never seemed to move beyond "throw the bums out". So 'Chat Room Coup' connotes the casual, almost serendipitous nature of what happened. It looked more like looting a department store than storming the Capitol.

It will be interesting to see the battle over the narrative of what happened on January 6th.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:25 am
It will be interesting to see the battle over the narrative of what happened on January 6th.
Pretty sure treason weasel Senators Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley intend to be riding the fascist wave of the future.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:25 am

We are already seeing that diminished and pushed aside as the focus shifts to the actions of the current Congress and Administration. My impression is we will find this to be another point of division as those on the Left argue for accountability for what happened while those on the Right accuse them of using the past to distract the public from what they are doing now that the Right views as evil.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

You guys.

Bonus episode: Inside the craziest meeting of the Trump presidency
https://www.axios.com/trump-oval-office ... f8723.html

snippets:
Finally Herschmann had enough. "Why the “F” do you keep standing up and screaming at me?" he shot back at Flynn. "If you want to come over here, come over here. If not, sit your ass down." Flynn sat back down.
At one point, with Flynn shouting, Byrne raised his hand to talk. He stood up and turned around to face Herschmann. "You're a quitter," he said. "You've been interfering with everything. You've been cutting us off."

"Do you even know who the “F” I am, you idiot?" Herschmann snapped back.

"Yeah, you're Patrick Cipollone," Byrne said.

"Wrong! Wrong, you idiot!"
It was remarkable that the presidency had deteriorated to such an extent that this fight in the Oval Office between senior White House officials and radical conspiracists was even taking place.

"How exactly are you going to do this?" an exasperated Herschmann asked again, later in the conversation. Newman again cited the 2018 executive order, which prompted Herschmann to question out loud whether she was even a lawyer.

Then Byrne chimed in: "There are guys with big guns and badges who can get these things." Herschmann couldn't believe it. "What are you, three years old?" he asked.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:05 pm
You guys.

Trump, for his part, also seemed perplexed by Byrne. But he was not entirely convinced the ideas Powell was presenting were insane.

He asked: You guys are offering me nothing. These guys are at least offering me a chance. They’re saying they have the evidence. Why not try this? The president seemed truly to believe the election was stolen, and his overriding sentiment was, let's give this a shot.

I don't know what to make of Trump believing the BS claims. It's one thing, and a terrible thing at that, for him to be trying to use lies to steal the win. But for him to be another sucker in the scam? I'm letting the implications of this churn and nothing comes up that isn't boggling. Cui Bono? :shock:
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:22 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:05 pm
You guys.

Trump, for his part, also seemed perplexed by Byrne. But he was not entirely convinced the ideas Powell was presenting were insane.

He asked: You guys are offering me nothing. These guys are at least offering me a chance. They’re saying they have the evidence. Why not try this? The president seemed truly to believe the election was stolen, and his overriding sentiment was, let's give this a shot.

I don't know what to make of Trump believing the BS claims. It's one thing, and a terrible thing at that, for him to be trying to use lies to steal the win. But for him to be another sucker in the scam? I'm letting the implications of this churn and nothing comes up that isn't boggling. Cui Bono? :shock:
I assume you read the entire article. It's freaking awesome. This is what was going on after he lost the election and didn't lift a finger to do the job he was fighting for. Like. You know. Covid.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I read it. I don't know that I'd call it awesome but it was climatic. And a little bit nauseating.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:59 pm
I read it. I don't know that I'd call it awesome but it was climatic. And a little bit nauseating.
I described it as awesome because it opens the door and let's us see what was going on inside the White House.

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

A guy that goes by the handle of TomJChicago wrote this on Twitter:

"The GOP is a malfunctioning entity. Their core principal is now defending the right to air propaganda. It’s unsustainable bc it requires going down increasingly deeper rabbit holes for fantasies that never deliver. It’s like liquid heroin. people drawn to it are let down by reality."

Right now we have tens of millions who are literally mentally ill. They’re addicted to the possibility of this Great War, Good versus Evil, and are in desperate need of a kind of therapy they’ll never get. We have millions of Americans fantasizing about another civil war. We have a few hundred thousand across this nation simply waiting for a banner to rally under in order to kill, rape, and pillage the Other.

This upcoming trial will be a good indicator if we get back to having a country willing to operate within the rules we’ve agreed upon in order to avoid war, or if we choose to take another step toward anarchy. I suspect Republicans will push us another step toward secession and war.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.