Biden is inaugurated - congratulations, America!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: Biden is inaugurated - congratulations, America!

Post by Gadianton »

In Ajax's defense, there is some intersection between WSB and STS and he might have been primed to believe that hedge funds and the liberal deep state go hand in hand and that I, as a presumed liberal, would be against the plight of the little guy, who is oppressed both by hedge funds and a corrupt government that steals votes.

I'm a regular guy with a job just like Ajax, trying to make it in the world. The difference between Ajax and I, is that I'm not easily persuaded by obvious lies, and I don't wake up every morning feeling entitled and betrayed by a world that's not making me its number one priority.

Anyway, Ajax, I really don't have a problem in principle with a group of traders correcting a market inefficiency, and so good for them. Whether there was some kind of illegal collusion, well, maybe, but it probably wasn't anything worse than those nasty hedge funds have done, so I won't lose sleep over it. A note of caution, however, that the right-wing belief that they are entitled to be as bad as the worst person they can point to on the left is a horrible way to charter your life. Please, don't break SEC rules just because some guy on the left did so. I would also caution you, Ajax, that GME's price pattern is a classic "gale flag", where all that volatility gets compressed to a single point, and it's ready to shift up or down a lane, and my guess is shift down. Hey, if short was the wrong direction a couple weeks ago, it definitely isn't now.

I read that WSB adopted "stop the steal" for themselves? I've also read that the (original) STS people are rallying behind the WSB people. The connection via libertarian impulses make sense, but I'm curious to see how convoluted this association gets. I assumed that adopting STS by WSB was a joke, to be ironic, and to make fun, but they do call themselves the 4chan of the investment community, and so maybe the connection is stronger. Also, the STS support I presume began as little guy and his rights vs. bad hedge fund, but the hedge fund guys getting crushed are Jewish, and the QAnon STS folks are definitely anti-Semitic, with all kinds of anger against George Soros.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Ho ho ho! Not so fast Libtards:

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:45 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:41 pm
90% of carbon emissions come from outside the US.
Gosh, you make a good case that there should be some sort of international climate accord. Or something.
Once again ajax inadvertently shoots himself in the foot with an argument that actually favors our case more than his. :lol:
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

leeuniverse wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:58 am
No country on the planet allows Mail-in Voting entirely because of how easy it is to commit fraud, especially how the U.S. did it, just mailing out ballets to whoever's on the records.
Now, now. Don’t be a liary liar.

Before the coronavirus outbreak, about a quarter of countries had used postal ballots in their national elections. Out of 166 countries for which data is available, 40 used postal ballots in their most recent national election, according to country experts surveyed before the COVID-19 outbreak by the Electoral Integrity Project. Postal ballots were used most widely in Europe and North America and are also common in some countries in the Asia-Pacific region, such as India, Indonesia, South Korea and Sri Lanka. Postal ballots were not available in most African and Caribbean countries, and not available in any Middle Eastern or Latin American countries.”

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... elections/

All-postal voting is a form of postal voting in which all electors receive their ballot papers through the post, not just those who requested an absentee ballot. Depending on the country, electors may have to return their ballot papers by post or they may be allowed to deliver them by hand to specified drop-off locations. All-postal voting is used in several states in the United States and in Switzerland, and was used in 2016 in the Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey as well as in four regions of the United Kingdom in the 2004 European Parliament election.“

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_voting
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:03 am
I read that WSB adopted "stop the steal" for themselves? I've also read that the (original) STS people are rallying behind the WSB people. The connection via libertarian impulses make sense, but I'm curious to see how convoluted this association gets. I assumed that adopting STS by WSB was a joke, to be ironic, and to make fun, but they do call themselves the 4chan of the investment community, and so maybe the connection is stronger. Also, the STS support I presume began as little guy and his rights vs. bad hedge fund, but the hedge fund guys getting crushed are Jewish, and the QAnon STS folks are definitely anti-Semitic, with all kinds of anger against George Soros.
Gad, that connection seems a little sketchy. Prior to reading your comment, I thought that the ‘stop the steal’ use by the WSB crowd referred to the reality of large institutional interests holding a distinct edge over retail investors generally (either through legal and technical means favorable to the former, or as represented by shadier practices that allow for, as one example, short interest possibly exceeding a company’s float), and more specifically to what was witnessed over the past week where RH, TDA, and other brokers either clamped down entirely on trading certain stocks, made information regarding some unattainable through their platform (as RH did on Friday with a few companies like NOK), or restricted user activity within selected stocks to 1 or 2 shares buy, or to only closing out positions. These were seen by the WSB community as an unethical ‘steal’ of opportunity and potential profit.

As for QAnon types - maybe they misread the use of that slogan as some sort of support for their own ideology? I haven’t seen anything in the WSB community hinting at the same sort of QAnon preoccupation and blame on folks like Soros for the recent GameStop phenomenon ... they’ve reserved their ire for players directly involved in GME like Melvin Capital and a few others, instead.

If you can share a link, I’d be interested in reading it, as I’m sure that it’ll fill in some details that I haven’t been exposed to.

(Of course, Soros did make a bajillion bucks shorting the British pound years ago, didn’t he? I’m sure that we can work that into some sort of rage narrative that ajax can adopt.)
Last edited by canpakes on Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:17 am
Ho ho ho! Not so fast Libtards:

- Doc
Why can’t these QAnon types ever spell ‘martial law’ correctly?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Because they're dumb damned felt-brained morons? It's akin to watching Xanax and Lee "World of Tanks" Universe proudly proclaim, over and over again some sort of smoothbrained erroneous claim (like above), and yet it never occurs to them to feel SOME damned SHAME at being wrong and to fix themselves. Instead, they get angrier and double down with some other fantasy scenario they've cooked up in their muppet heads.

Rinse and repeat. Republicans get elected. And they all continue along being damned morons.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

canpakes wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:17 am
Why can’t these QAnon types ever spell ‘martial law’ correctly?
Why indeed? Maybe they think it's something to do with this guy?

Also, am I alone in suspecting that the person who wrote that stuff did not really know what the word 'coalesce' means?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

This is like if OJ Simpson had spent his murder trial telling the court about the evidence he had that his wife was cheating. If Trump does this, he wont be giving the Republicans in congress much of a choice but to convict him.* Whatever the case may be, I believe Trump has had five lawyers quit ahead of his trial now.

* edit: Who am I kidding? They’re as corrupt as he is.

- Doc
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I thought that the ‘stop the steal’ use by the WSB crowd referred to the reality of large institutional interests holding a distinct edge over retail investors generally (either through legal and technical means favorable to the former, or as represented by shadier practices that allow for,
Yes.
As for QAnon types - maybe they misread the use of that slogan as some sort of support for their own ideology? I
I found the article I'd glanced over and I did misread it, it was more of the same talking about the above. Bad news for Ajax.