The GOP used a Two Santa Clauses tactic to con America for nearly 40 years

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

The GOP used a Two Santa Clauses tactic to con America for nearly 40 years

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

https://www.salon.com/2018/02/12/thom-h ... s_partner/
First, when Republicans control the federal government, and particularly the White House, spend money like a drunken sailor and run up the US debt as far and as fast as possible. This produces three results – it stimulates the economy thus making people think that the GOP can produce a good economy, it raises the debt dramatically, and it makes people think that Republicans are the “tax-cut Santa Claus.”

Second, when a Democrat is in the White House, scream about the national debt as loudly and frantically as possible, freaking out about how “our children will have to pay for it!” and “we have to cut spending to solve the crisis!” This will force the Democrats in power to cut their own social safety net programs, thus shooting their welfare-of-the-American-people Santa Claus.
We’re seeing this play out right now, and, as the article points out, has been playing out since the 80’s. The article is a quick read and worth a few minutes.

I’d much rather fund universal healthcare than a worldwide military. Frankly, I’ve been saying for years we need to right-size our military and probably take our hegemony down to the Western Hemisphere vis a vis a global strategy.

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Chap
God

Re: The GOP used a Two Santa Clauses tactic to con America for nearly 40 years

Post by Chap »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:14 pm
I’d much rather fund universal healthcare than a worldwide military. Frankly, I’ve been saying for years we need to right-size our military and probably take our hegemony down to the Western Hemisphere vis a vis a global strategy.
I share your feelings on this matter. But you could have both universal healthcare and a pretty good worldwide military.

Because the US spends as much on defence as the next 10 countries combined:

Just switch some of that spending to healthcare and the US would still be pretty damn dominant, and the US would be a much better country to live in.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Americans are idiots because they just accept the current right wing talking points, which are as damned dumb as any narrative ever invented.

Seriously... Americans are damned idiots.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Whatever you think should or shouldn't be done, the GOP is not stopping you now, nor can they in future.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Now that Republicans have abandoned that pretend patriotism routine and have gone full fascist, they should definitely drop that GOP moniker and just call themselves the Trump Party, although retaining the acronym for the interim Party of Sedition would make sense as a long term thing.

Let Mitt hold onto the discarded name Republican.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:56 am
Now that Republicans have abandoned that pretend patriotism routine and have gone full fascist, they should definitely drop that GOP moniker and just call themselves the Trump Party, although retaining the acronym for the interim Party of Sedition would make sense as a long term thing.

Let Mitt hold onto the discarded name Republican.
And it’s possibly going to have this result:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/11/politics ... index.html
A group of more than 100 former Republican officials have discussed the possibility of forming a "center right" party due to their unhappiness with the direction of the GOP under former President Donald Trump and the likelihood he'll be acquitted at the end of his second impeachment trial, according to Republicans who participated in the conversation.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

I posted a meme back in November saying we should prepare ourselves because Republicans will suddenly start caring about the deficit again.

They're ranting non stop on FOX about this and also they've resurrected their favorite boogeyman, people crossing the border!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I think Fox might favor the name QAnon Sedition Party.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Chap wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:26 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
I share your feelings on this matter. But you could have both universal healthcare and a pretty good worldwide military.

Because the US spends as much on defence as the next 10 countries combined:

Just switch some of that spending to healthcare and the US would still be pretty damn dominant, and the US would be a much better country to live in.
I hope Biden reads this comment or has someone in his ear showing him how unnecessary our almost $1 Trillion per year defense budget is. Just take a look at the F-35 fiasco as an example, it is a plane that doesn't work https://www.defensenews.com/smr/hidden-troubles-f35/

$1.5 Trillion could go a long way to fix infrastructure and healthcare and ...... https://news.yahoo.com/f-35-program-cos ... 00491.html
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.