American Greatness is American Goodness

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: American Greatness is American Goodness

Post by Chap »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:09 pm
But as you have already admitted, you would rather live under abject tyranny that imposes your view on the world, than respect the majority will of your fellow Americans.
Working people just want freedom to keep their earnings. As it stands our childrens childrens children will be paying China in debt servitude to fund this $500 milllion political impeachment charade. And while that is democracy, it's not freedom. Our freedom is gone and we see it every two weeks with each paycheck.
At the start of 2020, the US had a population of 331 million. Supposing that only one in three actually had any income, that makes about 100 million possible contributors, and they would each have to pay about 5 dollars (assuming your figure for impeachment costs is correct). Over a year, that's about 10 cents a week. When they ask for your 10 cents, will you have to take a loan from China to fund it? If so, optometry earnings have really gone down the tubes. and you have my fullest sympathy for your plight.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Themis
Elder

Post by Themis »

ajax18 wrote:
But as you have already admitted, you would rather live under abject tyranny that imposes your view on the world, than respect the majority will of your fellow Americans.
Working people just want freedom to keep their earnings. As it stands our childrens childrens children will be paying China in debt servitude to fund this $500 milllion political impeachment charade. And while that is democracy, it's not freedom. Our freedom is gone and we see it every two weeks with each paycheck.
Then why vote for Trump when he reversed a deficit that had been dropping for years to increasing it by a lot? How are your children suppose to be able to keep more of their earnings if you keep putting in people that increase the amount the government is borrowing. Your actions show you care more about yourself then your children who will have to pay that debt.
Themis
Elder

Post by Themis »

Gunnar wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:28 am

Apparently, based on his posting history, ajax really doesn't understand much of anything, with the likely exception of his profession, optometry.
Ajax has little understanding of scientific methodology or critical thinking skills. He has extreme bias that he doesn't want to see. His fantasy world is far more important then the truth.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Themis wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:55 pm
Ajax has little understanding of scientific methodology or critical thinking skills. He has extreme bias that he doesn't want to see. His fantasy world is far more important then the truth.
Undoubtedly true, but I don't think that his presumed knowledge and expertise in optometry, that he needs for his profession, is viewed by him as threatening to the fantasy world in which he seems determined to believe.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Themis
Elder

Post by Themis »

Gunnar wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:51 pm

Undoubtedly true, but I don't think that his presumed knowledge and expertise in optometry, that he needs for his profession, is viewed by him as threatening to the fantasy world in which he seems determined to believe.
It wouldn't since what they learn doesn't go into those areas. I believe where he is you may only need a 2 or 3 year program, so he doesn't have a good foundation in science. It's much like becoming an electrician. You do learn some math and physics, but nothing compared to someone who becomes an electrical engineer. Even most engineers never really get into sciences that would deal with climate of age of the earth. Which is why so many maintain YEC kind of beliefs. Not that there are not some who get degrees in areas they will give answers on tests that they never agree with.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Themis wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:51 am
It wouldn't since what they learn doesn't go into those areas. I believe where he is you may only need a 2 or 3 year program, so he doesn't have a good foundation in science. It's much like becoming an electrician. You do learn some math and physics, but nothing compared to someone who becomes an electrical engineer. Even most engineers never really get into sciences that would deal with climate of age of the earth. Which is why so many maintain YEC kind of beliefs. Not that there are not some who get degrees in areas they will give answers on tests that they never agree with.
I don't disagree with any of the above, and it is evident that ajax may not have a comprehensive understanding or appreciation of all science in general, but in his chosen profession, he at least has to have learned enough about optics and the structure and biology of the human eye become a competent optometrist, if he successfully makes a living from it. That was all I was trying to say.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Since I have A18 on Ignore I didn’t see this until Themis quoted him:
ajax18 wrote:

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Themis wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:52 pm
Then why vote for Trump when he reversed a deficit that had been dropping for years to increasing it by a lot? How are your children suppose to be able to keep more of their earnings if you keep putting in people that increase the amount the government is borrowing. Your actions show you care more about yourself then your children who will have to pay that debt.
To put a number to it:

On this day, in 2016, the US national debt was $59,752 per citizen ($167,716 per taxpayer).

As of this post, it is $84,234 per citizen ($222,192 per taxpayer).
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

To put a number to it:

On this day, in 2016, the US national debt was $59,752 per citizen ($167,716 per taxpayer).

Yeah, thanks to the left sabotaging our economy with Covid shutdowns. I guess they had no other hope of winning the election.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:52 pm
To put a number to it:

Thanks to the left trashing our economy with Covid shutdowns. I guess they had no other hope of winning the election.
US national debt on this day in 2016: $19.3 trillion dollars.

US national debt in February 2020 (before CA became the first state to issue a stay-at-home order): $23.4 trillion dollars.