Now for Something Different

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Now for Something Different

Post by Gunnar »

With the Superbowl coming up, many of us may be looking forward at least some semblance of Superbowl watching parties, despite the restrictions warranted by the current pandemic. One of the favorite snacks for such parties in recent years has been nachos. My daughter showed me an intriguing site documenting the history of nachos, which I found to be one of the most interesting food articles I have read. Some of you might also find it so. Particularly amusing to me was the improbable coincidence that the chemical formula for sodium citrate, the compound that makes the cheese melt more easily and stay melted without getting oily or clumpy, actually spells out "nacho." You'll see what I mean if you watch the video and/or read the text.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Some Schmo
God

Re: Now for Something Different

Post by Some Schmo »

That was a fun video. The dude's pretty funny.

And yes, very interesting history on nachos. Timely... It's what we planned for the Super Bowl this year.

Course, any time is a good time for nachos. We are big fans of BBQ nachos - the sauce goes amazingly well with tortilla chips. Grill and slice up some chicken breast cubes, BBQ sauce, lots of jalapenos and banana peppers and shredded cheese baked over the chips for 10-12 minutes or so... magic.

by the way, you can sub in roasted pork for the chicken. Whatever meat you like to BBQ.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Gunnar
God

Re: Now for Something Different

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:57 pm
by the way, you can sub in roasted pork for the chicken. Whatever meat you like to BBQ.
Yes, I know! I've tried it. I like it as well or better that way than with chicken. As a matter of fact, I don't think I have yet even had nachos with chicken in them. I look forward to trying them that way, though. Of course, even just the straight tortilla chips with only the melted cheese added is still quite tasty. However, today when my family and I watched the Superbowl, we snacked on the reheated leftovers from the Panda Express family feast takeout we had for dinner last night, instead of nachos.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.