Super Bowl Weekend!!! Who ya Rootin For?!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Lem
God

Re: Super Bowl Weekend!!! Who ya Rootin For?!

Post by Lem »

Gunnar wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:36 pm
Lem wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:19 pm

Maybe not flashy but I find his ability to control the timing of a game to be fascinating. Having the smart guy on the field taking advantage of seconds far outweighs the impact of a smart guy off the field telling the QB what to do.

On the other hand, nothing is more thrilling than watching Mahomes side-arm a pass while on a dead run. He throws like Jeter from short stop. It's a work of art! It's going to be a great game.
These descriptions of the capabilities of the two contending quarterbacks piqued my interest in watching the game. If I can't get my wife interested in watching, I may decide to record it on our DVR and watch it later when alone, or nothing else is on that she would rather watch. I'm not interested in getting a second TV, just so I can watch the Superbowl. We probably already watch too much TV, even with only the one we already have.
I empathize. I didn't watch football until I married my husband, and he didn't compete as a couple in amateur ballroom until he met me. Now, we passionately discuss concussion protocol and pass interference calls in the NFL, and the Chermovsky brothers, arm-styling and appropriate samba rhythms on DWTS to no end. Yes, we are just that weird. I chalk it up to his mom making her hulking football-player-sized twin man-children take tap-dancing lessons at 9, and chess lessons from a monk at 10. And THEN play football in high school. May she rest in Catholic peace, after giving birth to NINE children. 8-) Women are amazing.
Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Post by Morley »

Lem wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:07 pm
8-) Women are amazing.
That's certainly been my experience.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Morley wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:43 am
Lem wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:07 pm
8-) Women are amazing.
That's certainly been my experience.
:lol: bless you, my dear, bless you!
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:47 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:39 pm
As a resident of Washington state It is difficult to consider rooting for Brady. That is petty of course but it is still there. It should be a good game.
I'm right there with you with the latent Brady-hate, but I have a wonderful excuse to root for the Chiefs while trying to convince myself that Brady is a non-issue.

Long before we had the Seahawks, my favorite team was the Chiefs. As a child I had one of those horrid electric football games -- you know, the type with a vibrating metal playing field on which the little plastic players all behaved as if they were on bad acid trips and the chances of completing a forward pass were slightly worse than the odds of accidentally inventing cold fusion -- and the teams were the Baltimore Colts and the KC Chiefs. This set came with number decals you could put on the players, and you can bet the KC QB was #16 (Len Dawson) and the one receiver that could go in a straight line (well, more or less) was #80 (Otis Taylor). (Note: the Baltimore QB was of course #19, and if you have to ask who that was I will respectfully ask that you close the door quietly behind you.)

Of course, there was a period of time when the 'Hawks and Chiefs were AFC West rivals during which I was obliged to set aside my childhood fondness for the Chiefs, but that's now in the past. So obviously Brady and my better angels can suck it go Mahomes.
As a fellow Washingtonian I'm still B-hurt over Brady taking over for Drew Bledsoe back in the old days. I don't actually remember the particulars, just remember that I was disgruntled.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Which team is on the best terms with the Budweiser frog and lizard?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

Neither. I don't really like the two teams in the Super Bowl this year.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Excellent ideas and analysis all. I am going with Mahones. I have gone with Brady in the past, and won many a bet, so I owe him that, but I mean, 10 times......it's time for a change. I remember going through the same thing with Joe Montana. What a QB!!! But he had a team with him then also. And don't forget that last 2 minute run ALL the way across the field of Rothlesberger for Pittsburgh lo those many years ago, and the win! THAT is what QB's live for! And come on, Terry Bradshaw was good for his day. But the new star, the kid Mahones... can't help but hoping he has a bright future for the next 15 years or so. May as well start. On the other hand, no one has yet matched Miami for 2 straight lossless seasons. I wonder how long that will last? I gotta say, one of you mentioned Marino. I have to fully agree. However, the last game I watched him in I was dismayed at how hard he was throwing the ball and none of his receivers could catch it. He scolded them the whole game, "just catch it, that's your job!" And they lost. I always thought he could have adjusted in order to win, rather than yell at his guys they were pansies. Perhaps he was fuming because he never did get to a Superbowl, but for a passing QB, Marino was utterly supernal. (a touch of the Zohar description for something beyond fabulous, sorry, can't help it, am reading the Zohar now and find it... well...supernal :D )

All in all, I can't disagree with much of anything all of you have said. But I'm a rootin for the kid. I, like Lem, am astounded at how he can throw on the run, and side-armed no less! It should be a fun game to watch whilst I stuff myself with good food. I mean, it's the one time of year I let er rip, and just eat whatever I can, all goodies, sumptuous food (for me. That means something beyond Twinkies... :lol: I haven't had one of those horrid snacks for over 40 years man). Gonna be fun!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Defaming Twinkies now. I don't know who you are any more. :shock:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:19 pm
Defaming Twinkies now. I don't know who you are any more. :shock:
The only reason I did is because I still have a package of them from when I purchased them at age 18, and they still look as fresh as ever... that is downright terrifying. :lol:
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

All yous guys n gals missed a golden opportunity to dig me in the ribs. I spelled Mahomes name wrong. What a ding-a-ling I am..... I hope that doesn't jinx his game or I'mma gonna be mad!