Super Bowl Weekend!!! Who ya Rootin For?!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Re: Super Bowl Weekend!!! Who ya Rootin For?!

Post by ajax18 »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:31 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:45 pm

Football and basketball are so subjective. It seems you never know which set of rules they plan to enforce. Didn't Kansas City's defense hold a lot through the regular season?
Agreed. What's allowed in one game doesn't necessarily go in another. Get to baseball and the strike zones can really be subjective. If you're a player, you have to adjust to how the game is being called. I'd agree that KC got tagged with some calls that they got away with previously. That's got to be tough if you're a defensive back.

Back in the day, guys like Lester Hayes would cover their bodies in stick-em and drape all over the receiver. It's a lot tougher to cover nowadays.
I don't understand why it can't be more objective. I've heard explanations such as, "People pay money to see a freak of nature like Shaquille O'Neal when they come to the arena. If he's sitting on the bench fouled out, then fans might not come back." Imagine if tennis were to say we need to bend the rules to get Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal through their opening round matches and into the final because that would sell more tickets.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:31 pm
Agreed. What's allowed in one game doesn't necessarily go in another. Get to baseball and the strike zones can really be subjective. If you're a player, you have to adjust to how the game is being called. I'd agree that KC got tagged with some calls that they got away with previously. That's got to be tough if you're a defensive back.

Back in the day, guys like Lester Hayes would cover their bodies in stick-em and drape all over the receiver. It's a lot tougher to cover nowadays.
I'm sensing that caught KC off guard, suddenly the rules changed. Although, the statistical anomaly of 90 penalty yards in SB second quarter to KC really stands out. Is there an explanation?
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

KC's db's were holding a lot and got busted. Anyway, their offensive line and the injuries was the difference. KC couldn't run and Mahomes was running for his life the entire game it seemed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/breaking ... i-BB1du417
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Lem wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:22 am
As in parallel to and only about a foot off the ground, for 35 yards, after basically running a 50 yard dash to out-dodge two bucks trying to tackle him. Unbelievable, right?
Yeah! That was the incredible part! I was totally gobsmacked seeing that play. What incredible coordination and presence of mind under stress he displayed while executing that pass! It would already have been hard enough completing that pass if he had both feet firmly planted on the ground while trying to evade those two guys at the same time!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

So is it over yet?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Lem wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:42 am
I'm sensing that caught KC off guard, suddenly the rules changed. Although, the statistical anomaly of 90 penalty yards in SB second quarter to KC really stands out. Is there an explanation?
I haven't seen such a poorly officiated Super Bowl since the Bettis bowl in 2005. It looked like the entire ref team wanted to hand Brady his 7th. It was obvious and pathetically one-sided.

Oh well. It's only sports.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:16 am
So is it over yet?
No, honey. We'll let you know. It might be a while. :twisted:
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Lem wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:38 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:16 am
So is it over yet?
No, honey. We'll let you know. It might be a while. :twisted:
Thank ya, sweetie!

;)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

OK, it's over now. Kansas City came close to winning...... in the first minute. Tom Brady won again at the end of the game. Tampa Bay be the champs. Oh and....Tom is coming back next year.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:31 pm
Lem wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:42 am
I haven't seen such a poorly officiated Super Bowl since the Bettis bowl in 2005. It looked like the entire ref team wanted to hand Brady his 7th. It was obvious and pathetically one-sided.

Oh well. It's only sports.
In the end, I started binge-watching "All Creatures Great and Small" and missed the game entirely. Party with me if you dare.