The Conversation

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Re: The Conversation

Post by MeDotOrg »

We associate the word 'coup' with tanks and the military, but it has nothing to do with the number of weapons involved. There is no minimum hardware requirement. The mob that stormed the Capitol on January 6th was not elected. Their purpose was to stop the people who were elected from counting the votes of an election.

According to the dictionary, an antonym of the word coup is election.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:20 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:51 am
Fair enough, from what I hear the police let them [the mob] in initially.
I don't doubt you for a moment; folks will spin all sorts of yarns. If you let them.

Here's an interesting article that may also serve as a GIGO prophylactic -- what happened as told from the perspective of 19 of the police officers who found themselves at ground zero:

https://www.propublica.org/article/i-do ... surrection

Please do yourself a favor and read it, then try to say "the police let them in initially" out loud with a straight face. Then maybe have yourself a little sit-down think about those sources of yours, and ask yourself why they would repeat such an easily-smoked porky. And also why it is so easy for them to get away it, but experience tells me that this requires a much more difficult bit of pondering as well as some susceptibility to humility.
I doubt that ajax bothered to read that. I don't think he has the integrity, humility, courage or inclination to even consider the possibility that he might be mistaken about his core convictions. He has demonstrated countless times on this forum by his comments that he is an unreasoning, incorrigible, fanatical, religious and racial bigot.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:19 pm
I doubt that ajax bothered to read that.
Frankly, I didn't expect he would. Too bad -- I found it an interesting read.

Some of it is downright chilling:

“Some of them, as they are holding a thin blue line flag, looked you dead in the eye and said, ‘Pick a side.’”
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Themis wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:07 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:09 am
It's all just a way to make Trump's political opinions illegal. Democrats would have done a better job actually connecting Trump to the riot as MeDotOrg tried to do in his original post in the senate trial if a conviction was their objective.
If I were to look at just one thing to determine Trump's guilt or innocence is whether members of his own party voted to impeach. Before Trump it had never happened. Ajax, did any members of the republican party vote to impeach Trump?

You mean establishment Republicans like Adam Kinzinger, Mitt Romney, Liz Cheney, Anthony Gonzalez, or GWB. They didn't even support Trump in 2016. The only time they open their mouth is to criticize the Republican party. I wish we'd have let the Democrats drag GWB to the Hague to stand trial for war crimes. If any of of these want to be elected to anything again they'll need to run as Democrats. They were all losers who never really cared about working class taxpayers. We won't be fooled again.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:01 am
They were all losers who never really cared about working class taxpayers. We won't be fooled again.

A better case would be made if Trump was shown to be any different in substance and action, rather than merely knowing what words he should say in order to string his Base along.

This was a fellow who - while in the President’s seat - would rather do nothing other than watch a riot unfold, rather than stand up for the rule of law … on the hope that the former would keep him in power longer.

At that point, his supporters had already been fooled again … and more than a few times.
Themis
Elder

Post by Themis »

ajax18 wrote:
We won't be fooled again.
LOL You seem to support Trump more than you do your religion. Trump has never been a real conservative. You are the biggest fool.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

ajax18 wrote:
You mean establishment Republicans like Adam Kinzinger, Mitt Romney, Liz Cheney, Anthony Gonzalez, or GWB. They didn't even support Trump in 2016.
The ones who do not show obeisance to the Kremlin via its narcissistic puppet.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Trump has never been a real conservative.
Your hatred for him would demonstrate otherwise. The truth is that the RINOs were never real conservatives.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Post by Alf'Omega »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:56 pm
Trump has never been a real conservative.
Your hatred for him would demonstrate otherwise. The truth is that the RINOs were never real conservatives.
In what way is the self proclaimed "king of debt" a conservative? You seem to think conservative means you've taken a side on the Right with all these idiotic culture wars created by your propaganda. Being conservative doesn't mean owning a gun, hating immigrants, being against abortion or worshipping the flag. Your ignorance seems to be constrained by nothing. Trump drove away all the intellectually honest fiscal conservative when he got elected. People like George Will, David Frum, etc. But that doesn't mean you get to hijack the label "conservative" because it's too hard to just say what you really are. A band of ignorant racist morons in a cult who worship a white supremacist.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I don't know this, but I choose to believe most GOP voters aren't nearly as stupid as their representatives on this board.

I think the vast majority of people who voted GOP did so out of tradition and ignorance, not because of the idiot ideology we get from "conservatives" here. There were a lot of people trying to overturn the election Jan 6, but that was a tiny minority composed of the GOP's biggest morons.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.