Liberal math

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Liberal math

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:38 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:03 pm
For the same reason you just did.

- Doc
I don't have him on ignore.
What does that have to do with the price of weaboo paraphernalia in Sacramento?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:36 pm
And I'm not the one who retired at 45. Maybe you should be the one teaching the class Doc since you seem to be in lock step with this.
Comrade ajax:

If someone can retire at 45 due to their own investment savvy or military service, and are basically no financial drag on you, why are you so opposed to that?
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:32 am
Speaking of math, it turns out Texas secessionists now want federal aid to help with the Winter storm damage to their power grid.
I have a few relatives in Texas, and it has been interesting watching their Facebook posts.

First, they were bragging about how solar panels in Germany were ‘covered in snow’, and how coal was going to save Germans in the midst of this supposed failure of alternative energy. Of course, none of them remembered that Russia supplies the EU and Germany with 40% of their fossil fuel needs, so they were basically rooting on the empowerment of Russia at the expense of our allies, because ‘owning the libs’ is more important than considering such things.

Then, they were posting about how wind turbines were ‘freezing up’ in their home state, and complaining how
everything would be just fine if Texas ditched all of those awful wind turbines in favor of relying on nothing more than natgas and oil - until it was revealed that the cold weather has shut down pumps at their heads and frozen pipelines enough to reduce oil production by 65%, resulting in power outages. Texas is also the US leader in wind energy production, too, but we need to dump that approach and disemploy those folks right now so that the evil libtards can’t get any satisfaction.

Today, the focus is on how natural gas and oil producers have flare-off towers, and how this must be because evil libtards are forcing these companies to merely burn off the precious gas against everyone’s wishes ... except that the oil and gas producers do this at their own discretion and because it’s cheaper for them to do so than refine what’s being sucked up and burned off.

I’m amazed at the flood of dumbshittery from these people. They whine continuously about their supposed grievances supposedly being imposed upon them by The Supposed Evil Democratic Cabal while refusing to educate themselves about the simplest things. But I can’t expect that they’d bother to read up on anything that they’re bitching about because then they’d discover what an ass they’d been about their erroneous claims, and that would hurt their feelings and injure their pride.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/oil-retr ... 38929.html

https://today.tamu.edu/2020/08/03/the-p ... s-flaring/
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

canpakes wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:01 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:36 pm
And I'm not the one who retired at 45. Maybe you should be the one teaching the class Doc since you seem to be in lock step with this.
Comrade ajax:

If someone can retire at 45 due to their own investment savvy or military service, and are basically no financial drag on you, why are you so opposed to that?
It was 44, by the way. But, yeah. It was a combination of military service and austere living for 20 years so I could prepare for post-military life. There were no vacays of any note, no nice McMansions in the countryside packed to the gills with useless crap, no going to college in a traditional sense, and an attention to my financial future that earned its dividends from my constant diligence. Xanax can be jelly all he wants, but I’m also the king of divorces, ate constant crap in context to Army life, and lived a life that most people wouldn’t be too fired up to live - who wants to do pt at the ass crack of dawn or, I dunno, go to war because your moron President lied his way into Iraq?

Xanax lives in perhaps the most prosperous era of human history, but he’s so damned miserable with his life choices I guess he’s decided to pretend to be a martyr because 40% (?) of black folks get welfare or whatever. Who knows what issue is knocking his nuts around any given day? And he’s Brexit-tier stupid so he fantasizes about ethnostates that would exist in a 50’s era-yet-space age sweet spot?

Also, if jealousy is the order of the day, he should feel green with envy at the thought of Icarus, SS, Dantana, or Lemmie doing better than us. I’m fairly certain they’re fairing better than I am, and if that’s the case, I’m genuinely happy for them and wish continued prosperity for them.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Comrade ajax:

If you think taxes need to be hiked on the rich, how the hell can you afford to retire at 44? Do you think you should have been paying higher taxes?

It amazes me that some of the richest people I know are limousine liberal Democrats. They always push for more public debt and higher income taxes. Yet somehow they keep getting richer themselves. Somehow they can afford to retire at 44.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:02 am
It amazes me that some of the richest people I know are limousine liberal Democrats. They always push for more public debt and higher income taxes. Yet somehow they keep getting richer themselves.
Sounds like liberal math at work ... the kind that says that investments earning better than 5% will more than make up for a tax increase of 2% on top income.

A simple S&P 500 index fund returned at least 15% on your investment during 2020 ... almost 18% with dividend reinvestment. And all that you would have needed to do to earn that would be to have put money into the fund, then sit back and watch, for 12 months.

Here’s an S&P 500 index fund that returned nearly 40% last year. Same deal - put money in, sit back and watch:

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... ve-returns

It’s hard to make this any easier.

Please don’t try telling me that you can’t afford to do this. I’m pretty sure that I both (1) earn less than you and (2) have one more child than you ... and I can find a way to do it.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

So, you’re pulling yourself up by your bootstraps? Outrageous. How dare you have success and you’re not a Republican. You must be scamming the system or something. :roll:

- Doc
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Please don’t try telling me that you can’t afford to do this. I’m pretty sure that I both (1) earn less than you and (2) have one more child than you ... and I can find a way to do it.
However hard it is to earn that money, it's at least 5 times harder to hang on to any of it.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:52 pm
However hard it is to earn that money, it's at least 5 times harder to hang on to any of it.
Pay yourself first.

Doing so ends up rewarding both you and your family.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:44 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:52 pm
Pay yourself first.

Doing so ends up rewarding both you and your family.
Absolutely. If you receive no other financial advice in the world, you'll be fine with just this.

Over half the money I earn goes first into various personal accounts (well, taxes come before some of those, but you get the idea).

And I agree with Doc - I wish prosperity for all, but it would be really nice if at least people weren't buried in economic anxiety. Emotions have a ripple effect. If people are pissy due to economic anxiety, that ripples out to everyone. If everyone has money, people spend it and the economy soars. The culture is generally more content.

Thinking it's a zero sum game where, for me to win, you have to lose, is foolish and shortsighted.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.