Liberal math

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: Liberal math

Post by Chap »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:54 pm
So, it seems to me that mathematics is to have been a sort of natural emergence for various populations once they hit a sort of critical mass where astronomy, agriculture, and trade is a part of their culture.
You're not that wrong, DrC ... !

What is this world in which all the human beings who were not blond and blue-eyed were just waving their arms in helpless vague confusion and saying - "I'll give you a lot of pots of my stuff if you'll give me ... well ... an appropriately different lot of baskets of your stuff".

Then the master race arrive and told them about numbers. And now those ungrateful bastards say we took a lot of stuff that used to be theirs, failing to recognise the fact that without what we taught them they would never even have noticed!
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:53 pm
This is Orwellian. Anyone who argues 2+2=4 is a racist. Maybe Jersey Girl is this what you taught kids in New Jersey? Perhaps it explains some things.

Fox News reported that the ODE sent out a newsletter last week that mentions a “Pathway to Math Equity Micro-Course” that will occur on February 21. The course, according to Fox, is designed for middle school teachers to make use of a toolkit for ‘dismantling racism in mathematics.’”

The newsletter encourages teachers to sign up for the training, which the New York Post previously reported includes a section with 14 things associated with “White Supremacy Culture,” including perfectionism, objectivity, and individualism.

Objectivity is described in the workbook accompanying the training as “the belief that there is such a thing as being objective or ‘neutral.'” The program’s toolkit also encourages teachers not to focus on a single correct answer, but to “come up with at least two answers that might solve this problem” and to “Challenge standardized test questions by getting the ‘right’ answer, but justify other answers by unpacking the assumptions that are made in the problem.”

The toolkit also asks instructors to “center ethnomathematics” in multiple ways, one of which is to “identify and challenge the ways that math is used to uphold capitalist, imperialist, and racist.

Part of the toolkit includes a list of ways “white supremacy culture” allegedly “infiltrates math classrooms.” Those include “the focus is on getting the ‘right’ answer,” students being “required to ‘show their work,’” and other alleged manifestations.

“The concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false, and teaching it is even much less so,” the document for the “Equitable Math” toolkit reads. “Upholding the idea that there are always right and wrong answers perpetuate objectivity as well as fear of open conflict.”

Ajax, I have just enough math sympathy to be completely horrified by what is presented above. I strikes me as a bunch of racist assumptions masquerading as math help. I read a bunch of the material linked by various posters above to get a clearer idea of what is actually being suggested. I do not really enjoy the institutional style blah blah blah which the articles have but they were clear enough to show they are not even remotely suggesting the kind of thing in the summary above (that including more darker people must involve bringing standards down).Is Fox simply lying or is their racism so ingrained that they project the racism onto the articles thinking that is the real understanding?
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Why in the hell is my name on that post? Ajax, I put you on ignore when I said I would.

Your remarks about me are proof positive that you don't pay attention to what people post on this board. I've never taught preschoolers in New Jersey and I never taught addition to preschoolers. Believe it or not, preschoolers discover initial math operations on their own as their brain develops so long as they have the opportunity to manipulate objects in the environment.

So. Your comments are proof not only that you don't pay attention to what is stated on this board, but also that you are ignorant about child development.

"Good job" :roll:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Chap,

I think it boils down to a few things with racially sensitive white folks who create all these false narratives about history and cultures. I actually typed out some bullet points, but I just deleted it. What’s the point? There’s a choir on this board and an illiterate audience.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

And Isaac Newton?

Math is perfectly objective and it doesn't matter who says it or their race but what was said. It doesn't surpriise me that the hard left could never operate under such conditions.

So 2+2=4 but if we can somehow attach a racial grievance to it 2+2=5 as well. This is how the ACT should now be graded.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:38 pm
And Isaac Newton?

Math is perfectly objective and it doesn't matter who says it or their race but what was said. It doesn't surpriise me that the hard left could never operate under such conditions.

So 2+2=4 but if we can somehow attach a racial grievance to it 2+2=5 as well. This is how the ACT should now be graded.
None of the content Fox linked to disputed 2+2=4, if you have the capability of reading primary sources beyond what Fox says.

In terms of denying reality, the hyperbole of this particular course instructor doesn't make a dent in the lead the hard right has at the moment in terms of reality denial.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:38 pm
And Isaac Newton?
Sir Isaac did not invent math (references available upon request), but he certainly was white; well-spotted. Someone hand the man a participation ribbon.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Newton primarily believed in conspiracies, and we're lucky he's not one of Q's "bakers", or the movement might have more appeal. I believe his commentary on Daniel and Biblical prophecy is still the backbone of the Watchtower. If You're a JW having it out with a Mormon, and the Mormon tries an appeal to the authority of some unknown LDS Phd from 1966 like DCP did recently, then you're going to take the pot when you lay down your Pokemon card.

Newton was a lunatic. It's just that, for the 5% of reality he actually believed in, he was really on target. Ironically, Newton would be a good example of the shades of gray that exist in the world of math, and the problem of Anglocentrism the instructor Fox "News" is targeting, is bringing awareness to in his course.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Cam wrote:I've seen this talked about on /pol/ quite a bit, at least, with regard to Egyptians. They do believe Egyptians, the ruling class, were white
Nice. After I pressed "submit" on that one, I had second thoughts about it.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I see from Gad’s post that Xanax doesn’t see the irony in his post. Once you use a math equation as a metaphor for a concept it’s no longer math. 2 + 2 = 4 as a metaphor for self-evident truth loses all objective truth once you use it as a metaphor. Hence, 2 + 2 = 5 as a placeholder for metaphorical truth claims.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.