Tiny home village for the homeless

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Tiny home village for the homeless

Post by Jersey Girl »

If you have time and interest, please view this less than 10 minute video. Share your opinion if you have one. A tiny home village for the homeless built on a piece of formerly crap land ("hell hole") that now contributes back to the community. Seems like a good idea to me.

Stories From A Tiny Home Village: Madison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4QAb61 ... WL&index=1
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Tiny home village for the homeless

Post by Jersey Girl »

Does nobody give two craps about the homeless around here? Screw you guys. I'm going home.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

There was a local non-profit (Food Not Bombs Las Vegas [FNBLV]) that built 20+ tiny homes here, along a wash. It’s been an area of homeless encampments for a long time, so building tiny homes seemed like a logical step. It was a perfect place for it too -- it's out of sight of anything tourist related, it has a small natural spring (fairly close to potable, test-wise). The city/county was putting dumpsters there so that trash wouldn’t be tossed into the wash. It was great for outreach groups to have an area where people were somewhat permanent residing. It was also a lot safer than the tunnels. FNBLV was even raising funds to put up solar panels… and then…

… City of North Las Vegas, Las Vegas, and Department of Transportation came through and bulldozed it just after Thanksgiving. *&^%$#@! :(

There’s a project north of here in Washoe County for tiny homes for the homeless that is being supported by the Sheriff’s Department, so that one will hopefully have some staying power. Maybe, one day, the southern part of the state will come to realize that compassion and housing are far less expensive (and far more rewarding) than dismantling encampments in perpetuity.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Jersey Girl,
Thanks for the post. I was impressed by the quality of the tiny homes which could give the homeless a bit of stability. I think some of the people suggested that the bit of stability was a help in finding employment and making progress towards escaping homelessness. I think the message is important and a possible inspiration.

My local home town has gone through a conflicted struggle about how to help homeless people. Several arrangements have been tried. Currently there is an area with huts which have been built. They are better shelter than canvas tents which had been previously tried. They are better shelter against the weather but are definitely inferior to what you have shown. As a part of the endless political conflict the current rule is that people have to leave during the day to return at night. The arrangements which your link shows are more humane and more helpful.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I saw today in the newspaper an article about tiny homes be set up in a neighboring county for homeless. Perhaps the idea is gaining support.