Certain people can't ever get it right

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: Certain people can't ever get it right

Post by Chap »

huckelberry wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:33 pm
Does God play three dimensional golf like we do? I doubt it. But he may play golf. Would it look like golf to us? Are there are a lot of other things He does differently?
Does he put the milk in his cup before he puts the tea in - or the other way round?

Or, in some wondrous multidimensional way does he put the milk in both before and after the tea, in One Eternal Pour from the milk jug?

People have been burned at the stake for giving the wrong answer to such questions. So maybe, out of respect for the people who were once in deadly earnest about this deity, we could just leave that whole bundle of contradictions and fumbling nonsense in the toy cupboard of ideas that once looked worthwhile but turned out not to be, and get on with confronting the real and terrifying problems that currently threaten the entire existence of humanity.

Just a suggestion.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Post by mentalgymnast »

Chap wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:59 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Does God play three dimensional golf like we do? I doubt it. But he may play golf. Would it look like golf to us? Are there are a lot of other things He does differently?
Does he put the milk in his cup before he puts the tea in - or the other way round?

Or, in some wondrous multidimensional way does he put the milk in both before and after the tea, in One Eternal Pour from the milk jug?

People have been burned at the stake for giving the wrong answer to such questions. So maybe, out of respect for the people who were once in deadly earnest about this deity, we could just leave that whole bundle of contradictions and fumbling nonsense in the toy cupboard of ideas that once looked worthwhile but turned out not to be, and get on with confronting the real and terrifying problems that currently threaten the entire existence of humanity.

Just a suggestion.
Hey Chap, that was me you quoted, not huck.

Regards,
MG
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Post by mentalgymnast »

Chap wrote:
...out of respect for the people who were once in deadly earnest about this deity, we could just leave that whole bundle of contradictions and fumbling nonsense in the toy cupboard of ideas that once looked worthwhile but turned out not to be, and get on with confronting the real and terrifying problems that currently threaten the entire existence of humanity.

Just a suggestion.
Many of these problems could be alleviated if people had faith in a creator God who has given commandments which if obeyed would help solve a good portion of the world’s ills. Rather than move away from God I think it would be a darn good idea if we were a bit more “deadly earnest” about trying to know and obey Him. But you’re right, there are a lot of people fumbling in a slew of nonsense which results in real problems.

Regards,
MG
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

huckelberry wrote:
Lem wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:58 pm

Fair warning, I am an atheist, so I am not speaking of a god being outside time, but regarding the general concept, have you read Ted Chiang's short story, "Story of Your Life" ? The 2016 movie Arrival was based on this work. Chiang's writing is so poignant and thoughtful, and yet, his works definitely qualify as hard science fiction. His thoughts on this are fascinating, and I thought the movie captured his position really well. To me, still in the realm of fiction, but fascinating to contemplate.
Lem, I have not read the story. Curiosity caused me to review Wikapedia for some clue. I find my mid stuck in the rut that says where light lands is determined by the fastest route. Or perhaps cause and effect are linked in a fashion where no space expist between the two. I do not see a path for seeing a determined future or preventing humans from making different decisions with more knowledge of outcomes than they would with less.
I apologize, huckelberry, I should have been more clear in my point.
"Story of Your Life" is a science fiction novella by American writer Ted Chiang, first published in Starlight 2 in 1998.... Its major themes are language and determinism.
And a bit from the plot of the movie based on the book makes the point I was considering:
....Louise realizes that instead of experiencing events sequentially (causality), heptapods experience all events at once (teleology). This is reflected in their language, and explains why Fermat's principle came naturally to them.

Soon, Louise becomes quite proficient at Heptapod B, and finds that when writing in it, trains of thought are directionless, and premises and conclusions interchangeable. She finds herself starting to think in Heptapod B and begins to see time as heptapods do. Louise sees glimpses of her future and of a daughter she does not yet have. This raises questions about the nature of free will: knowledge of the future would imply no free will, because knowing the future means it cannot be changed. But Louise asks herself, "What if the experience of knowing the future changed a person? What if it evoked a sense of urgency, a sense of obligation to act precisely as she knew she would?"[8]
I just found Ted Chiang's thought experiment interesting in terms of one seeing all parts of time overall, not just sequentially, and the impact that might have on a person. Interestingly, it ultimately meant living exactly the same as one would without the knowledge, driven ultimately by one's innate character, rather than an expectation.

This particular author writes very well and has some pretty fascinating stories. His latest book of short stories, "Exhalation," made the 2019 NYTimes top ten best fiction and nonfiction book list, from the NYT book review:
Many of the nine deeply beautiful stories in this collection explore the material consequences of time travel. Reading them feels like sitting at dinner with a friend who explains scientific theory to you without an ounce of condescension. Each thoughtful, elegantly crafted story poses a philosophical question; Chiang curates all nine into a conversation that comes full circle, after having traversed remarkable terrain.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... LatJGdfY8Q
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:56 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:45 pm
... an eternal glory with is the source or basis of divine power.
What the hell does that mean?

- Doc
Doc,
it is not my idea, if find it vague at best. It is a residual in my mind about comments in the Lectures on Faith. It does recognize the puzzle of how in Mormon view a person transcends human limitation and developes all the trqanscending divine powers.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Just placed the book on hold!

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:07 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:56 pm

What the hell does that mean?

- Doc
Doc,
it is not my idea, if find it vague at best. It is a residual in my mind about comments in the Lectures on Faith. It does recognize the puzzle of how in Mormon view a person transcends human limitation and developes all the trqanscending divine powers.
But you used it. So you must have an idea what it means, no?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Chap wrote:
huckelberry wrote:

Just a suggestion.
Chap,
I happen to agree with your last paragraph.

Why did you quote me saying something I did not say?
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Lem, I believe much of the value of a story lies in the details of the telling . A quick plot summary from Wikapedia which I checked does not present a full picture of the actual value of the story. I am a total skeptic about he mechanism proposed but I can see an interest in how a persons thoughts and desires determine their choices. They are not random or willy nilly. They are determined by the whole net of realities of who we are.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:11 am
huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:07 am

Doc,
But you used it. So you must have an idea what it means, no?

- Doc
Doc,
I would suppose it refers to the whatever factor needed to transform a limited homo sapien to what people call God.It would preexist the transformation. Or perhaps other ideas could be considered. The church did not keep Lectures on Faith as scripture.