Certain people can't ever get it right

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Re: Certain people can't ever get it right

Post by mentalgymnast »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:14 am
mentalgymnast wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:56 am

Call it what you want, but when you can stand up on what you believe to be ‘high ground’ and call someone else a fraud without any evidence, that’s the act of an imposter. You have no moral authority to do that.

Regards,
MG
I'm calling you a fraud because you have yet to make a single coherent argument or point. Instead you use strawmen like asserting bias or binary thinking as dodges. We have yet to have a discussion on this board where you have been able to share an informed opinion that demonstrated you understood your claims actual content. It never happened when we discussed Grant Hardy. It never happened when we discussed the Anthropic Principle. You have demonstrated zero comprehension of the points made in this thread regarding the nature of an infinity. And it's happening now with your claim the Judeo-Christian tradition is responsible for the development of western liberal society. When presented with a basic level webpage outlining what is meant by the Enlightenment you went about appropriating the Enlightenment with zero demonstration you know what that entails.

You. Are. A. Fraud.
We’ll have to agree to disagree. As I’ve said before, I...or anyone else...can only go with what they’ve got. If I have something less than another, knowledge wise, which I have often admitted, that doesn’t mean I can’t offer it up in good faith because it feels right or true to me. Folks do that all the time without retribution from others. Here we have those that believe that because of their academic/scholarly training they have a leg upon the unwashed masses, so to speak. Maybe that’s the case...although I think there’s a wee bit of arrogance attached. 😉

So yes, you can find fault with the fact that my debating and logic skills only stretch so far, but hey, that’s the way of the world. But that doesn’t make me a fraud. I have never claimed to be anything more than I am.

That being the case, I think that those of us that are ‘regular folks’ may be ‘blessed’ or gifted with some attributes that lend themselves to a degree of humility and common sense.

I’m not a fraud. What you see is what you get.🙂

Although it may not be what you want.

I won’t belabor this point any more. I know who/what I am and that’s all that really matters.

Regards,
MG
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:58 am
honorentheos wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:07 am

Whoa, ok, assertion noted.

The article was entirely about western culture. It made a late, unsupported claim to attributing individual rights to the Judeo-Christian tradition but it didn't actually make a single case for that late argument. It was not a resource making the argument you are claiming it made. Most of it read like it was defending the conjunction of Judeo with Christian, really.

Interesting. So you wish to argue that natural law is derived from beliefs in the Judeo-Christian God?
Not only. Stoics and Greek philosophers along with others were referring to and elucidating upon natural or inherent characteristics of what makes a good person. The Christian tradition associated these natural inclinations towards goodness as being rooted in nature’s God.

Regards,
MG
So we are in this circular argument where you attributed universals to god, and in particular the Judeo-Christian God, and use this to argue Judeo-Christianity is foundational to whatever one might argue is good.

In other words, you keep appropriating everything you might imagine is of value and assign God to it with no other support than you equate good with god and God with good.

So for you when the Stoics like Seneca speak of natural, Jove-endowed laws and the divine within all that transcends human social order, he is referencing your God?
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:10 am
That being the case, I think that those of us that are ‘regular folks’ may be ‘blessed’ or gifted with some attributes that lend themselves to a degree of humility and common sense.

If you imagine your behavior in this thread demonstrates humility, well...

Just try to use what you actually understand when you put things forward and acknowledge when it's clarified. Like in this thread. The way you kept referencing the Sorites Paradox represents how these discussions seem to always go. You ask a question about something you think really matters to the discussion in some deep philosophical way. Then someone like Physics Guy explains how that isn't just wrong but "not even wrong". It reflects a categorical misunderstanding of the subject. In this case, infinities and heaps simply are not relatable. A heap is a subjective and loosely define idea, while an infinity is defined mathematically. One can't take from an infinity like one could pick off grains of sands. It was explained and it wiffed past you. You kept bringing it up while adding more wishy-washy vague but high sounding concepts without a single statement demonstrating you had groked the point made about your initial "a shucks, common man," conjectures. Then you pivoted to claiming everyone who rejected what you were positing was being binary in their thinking.

Your methods do not reflective any degree of sincerity on your part. At all. You seem to leave the discussion having failed to absorb a single point made. You will be using Sorites Paradox again in the same way at some future point. You may even being it up in Church and feel approval from the nodding masses at church prove the value of your conjecture.

I don't know about you, man. You don't come across as sincere at all. For me it comes down to your inability to take what's said to you and present a point that shows you actually understood what was said to you and why it affects your claim. It's been this way from Grant Hardy to this thread. Just take the time to show you get what was said and if you have a meaningful counterpoint that actually responds to this thing you understood, make it rather than resorting to whatever you read in the latest Psychology Today or heard on a podcast last week.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

mentalgymnast wrote:
I know who/what I am and that’s all that really matters.
That's...well, it sums it up rather tidily.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:14 am
So for you when the Stoics like Seneca speak of natural, Jove-endowed laws and the divine within all that transcends human social order, he is referencing your God?
To make a point about this - this concept of divine that Seneca speaks of is one I accept. For example:

XLI. On the God within Us

1. You are doing an excellent thing, one which will be wholesome for you, if, as you write me, you are persisting in your effort to attain sound understanding; it is foolish to pray for this when you can acquire it from yourself. We do not need to uplift our hands towards heaven, or to beg the keeper of a temple to let us approach his idol's ear, as if in this way our prayers were more likely to be heard. God is near you, he is with you, he is within you.

2. This is what I mean, Lucilius: a holy spirit indwells within us, one who marks our good and bad deeds, and is our guardian. As we treat this spirit, so are we treated by it. Indeed, no man can be good without the help of God. Can one rise superior to fortune unless God helps him to rise? He it is that gives noble and upright counsel. In each good man

A god doth dwell, but what god know we not.[1]

3. If ever you have come upon a grove that is full of ancient trees which have grown to an unusual height, shutting out a view of the sky by a veil of pleached and intertwining branches, then the loftiness of the forest, the seclusion of the spot, and your marvel at the thick unbroken shade in the midst of the open spaces, will prove to you the presence of deity. Or if a cave, made by the deep crumbling of the rocks, holds up a mountain on its arch, a place not built with hands but hollowed out into such spaciousness by natural causes, your soul will be deeply moved by a certain intimation of the existence of God. We worship the sources of mighty rivers; we erect altars at places where great streams burst suddenly from hidden sources; we adore springs of hot water as divine, and consecrate certain pools because of their dark waters or their immeasurable depth.

4. If you see a man who is unterrified in the midst of dangers, untouched by desires, happy in adversity, peaceful amid the storm, who looks down upon men from a higher plane, and views the gods on a footing of equality, will not a feeling of reverence for him steal over you? Will you not say: "This quality is too great and too lofty to be regarded as resembling this petty body in which it dwells? A divine power has descended upon that man."

5. When a soul rises superior to other souls, when it is under control, when it passes through every experience as if it were of small account, when it smiles at our fears and at our prayers, it is stirred by a force from heaven. A thing like this cannot stand upright unless it be propped by the divine. Therefore, a greater part of it abides in that place from whence it came down to earth. Just as the rays of the sun do indeed touch the earth, but still abide at the source from which they are sent; even so the great and hallowed soul, which has come down in order that we may have a nearer knowledge of divinity, does indeed associate with us, but still cleaves to its origin; on that source it depends, thither it turns its gaze and strives to go, and it concerns itself with our doings only as a being superior to ourselves.

6. What, then, is such a soul? One which is resplendent with no external good, but only with its own. For what is more foolish than to praise in a man the qualities which come from without? And what is more insane than to marvel at characteristics which may at the next instant be passed on to someone else? A golden bit does not make a better horse. The lion with gilded mane, in process of being trained and forced by weariness to endure the decoration, is sent into the arena in quite a different way from the wild lion whose spirit is unbroken; the latter, indeed, bold in his attack, as nature wished him to be, impressive because of his wild appearance, – and it is his glory that none can look upon him without fear, – is favoured[2] in preference to the other lion, that languid and gilded brute.

7. No man ought to glory except in that which is his own. We praise a vine if it makes the shoots teem with increase, if by its weight it bends to the ground the very poles which hold its fruit; would any man prefer to this vine one from which golden grapes and golden leaves hang down? In a vine the virtue peculiarly its own is fertility; in man also we should praise that which is his own. Suppose that he has a retinue of comely slaves and a beautiful house, that his farm is large and large his income; none of these things is in the man himself; they are all on the outside.

8. Praise the quality in him which cannot be given or snatched away, that which is the peculiar property of the man. Do you ask what this is? It is soul, and reason brought to perfection in the soul. For man is a reasoning animal. Therefore, man's highest good is attained, if he has fulfilled the good for which nature designed him at birth.

9. And what is it which this reason demands of him? The easiest thing in the world, – to live in accordance with his own nature. But this is turned into a hard task by the general madness of mankind; we push one another into vice. And how can a man be recalled to salvation, when he has none to restrain him, and all mankind to urge him on? Farewell.
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Post by mentalgymnast »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:14 am
mentalgymnast wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:56 am

Call it what you want, but when you can stand up on what you believe to be ‘high ground’ and call someone else a fraud without any evidence, that’s the act of an imposter. You have no moral authority to do that.

Regards,
MG
I'm calling you a fraud because you have yet to make a single coherent argument or point. Instead you use strawmen like asserting bias or binary thinking as dodges. We have yet to have a discussion on this board where you have been able to share an informed opinion that demonstrated you understood your claims actual content. It never happened when we discussed Grant Hardy. It never happened when we discussed the Anthropic Principle. You have demonstrated zero comprehension of the points made in this thread regarding the nature of an infinity. And it's happening now with your claim the Judeo-Christian tradition is responsible for the development of western liberal society. When presented with a basic level webpage outlining what is meant by the Enlightenment you went about appropriating the Enlightenment with zero demonstration you know what that entails.

You. Are. A. Fraud.
That is your view of where we have been. You have a path of reason that, when followed, brings you to a place where you no longer have faith and belief in the God of the Bible/Jesus of the New Testament. Your faith is placed in the god of reason and human ingenuity. This brings you happiness and a certain degree of closure in your search for truth. You have an ability to use logic and reason to build a case which when observed next to a case built for God by a person who’s skills at analysis and logical reason may not have the same standard of physical ‘proofs’ that your case does seems to make more sense. Thus, a person could conclude that your case wins in the court of reason and evidentiary abundance that can be seen and observed when looked at within a certain prescribed context. Evidence that seems to have only one conclusion. Joseph was a fraud, the CofJCof LDS is a fraud, and anyone who has investigated the truth claims and spends a reasonable amount of time and effort in doing so and then chooses to believe based on what they see as evidence, is a fraud.

Back to the Sorites Paradox. The evidentiary grains of sand that one by one I lay next to each other gradually result in a heap large enough that I subjectively view it as God’s Truth. But when a secularist, such as yourself, asks me to take one grain of sand away at a time and look at it in isolation from the rest of the heap and demand evidence that this grain is ‘God’s Truth’ and the ‘proof’ which proves God’s existence, that becomes rather difficult. But when these grains are all together in a heap they, for many folks, not only appear subjectively to appear as God’s truth but also objectively as a result of what seems to be cumulative evidence.

Grains of sand being:

1. Anthropic Principle
2. The Bible
3. Jesus’s teachings in the New Testament and witness of himself being the Son of God.
4. Book of Mormon and it’s teachings/narrative acting as a companion witness to the Bible of Christ’s divinity.
5. Plan of Salvation/Exaltation.
6. Modern day revelation from God through prophets.
7. Restoration of Priesthood powers and blessings.
8. Evidences supporting Book of Mormon. Chiasmus and other Hebraic elements, Stylometry studies, Hardy’s work along with Nibley and others.
9. Witnesses to the Book of Mormon.
10. Fruits of the restoration.
11. Monotheistic God.
12. Commandments/covenants.
13. Purpose and meaning beyond death.
14. LDS theology which is all encompassing. Almost all are saved, etc.

I could go on. Cumulatively the grains of sand give reason to have faith in the restoration and its Truths as compared with the other heaps that one can observe. To me, the Restoration heap is larger and has a foundational structure that surpasses other heaps. Not that other heaps don’t have individual grains of sand that represent ‘truths’.

Anyway, that’s the way I see it. Reason brings us to different places. We can each find reason to ‘diss’ the beliefs of others for one reason or another. But at the end of the day we all find our own truth and believe or have faith in it because it makes the most sense for various reasons. Those that are not open to truth coming from an unseen source that cannot be readily seen or observed and for all intents and purposes is either hidden or doesn’t exist are going to look at believers as either being deluded or deceived.

No surprise there.

Regards,
MG
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Post by mentalgymnast »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:30 am
mentalgymnast wrote:

In the sense that I recognize my inability to verbalize completely the reasons for the faith that is me to the satisfaction of one who requires physical proofs exclusively.

Regards,
MG
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Post by mentalgymnast »

honorentheos wrote:
You ask a question about something you think really matters...
Yeah, I do that. Questions are the key/path to understanding. And I can learn from those more intelligent than I. I’ve repeatedly learned things from physics guy that I haven’t known.

Often.

Regards,
MG
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:28 pm
honorentheos wrote:

In the sense that I recognize my inability to verbalize completely the reasons for the faith that is me to the satisfaction of one who requires physical proofs exclusively.

Regards,
MG
To the extent you warp whatever pop-psych concept you encountered recently to dismiss and antagonize those presenting criticisms of your position rather than engaging in sincere discussion that acknowledges the points made and makes informed follow-up points, you are not.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:33 pm
honorentheos wrote:
You ask a question about something you think really matters...
Yeah, I do that. Questions are the key/path to understanding. And I can learn from those more intelligent than I. I’ve repeatedly learned things from physics guy that I haven’t known.

Often.

Regards,
MG
Ok, let's test this. Word of honor, without referencing back to a post or old thread, explain something you learned from Physics Guy and how it refined your understanding of a topic. By that I mean, don't just say something about how he helped you better understand (subject). Show what you learned from him.