COVID is getting worse

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: COVID is getting worse

Post by Philo Sofee »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:34 am
subgenius wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:12 am
anecdotal evidence from Reddit, oohhh how extra sciencey. Plus a bunch of other irrelevant and incredibly stupid nonsense--even for subgenius.
The success of Singapore's mask usage in sharply limiting the pandemic is not merely anecdotal. It is a matter of well documented statistics. Your comments here are a powerful confirmation of the frequently repeated accusation that you just ignore evidence, no matter how compelling, that conflict with what you would rather believe, not to mention that you are an incorrigible troll!
My emphasis in the above quote leads to this next statement...
Subbie would make a fantastic LDS General Authority!!!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:03 am
He didn’t even read the copypasted post. His dim cow-like eyes skimmed down the post, saw the Reddit link, and that was it. Scroll down to comment box and blather out more [vulgarity]. It is what it is.

- Doc
Undoubtedly! He even admits that he doesn't try to read more that a fraction of a post before commenting on it. Nor does he read even the articles he links to before he posts them. More than once I have seen him link to an article that he assumed supported his argument based only on his reading the title, when if he had read the article itself, he would have found it that either had nothing to do with his assertions, or devastatingly refuted them. I have a good chuckle every time he does that.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

subgenius wrote:
anecdotal evidence from Reddit, oohhh how extra sciencey.
Notwithstanding your rigor, can you find a cool diagram of cheese that shows how the mask keeps the virus out of my eyes? I have a terrible condition where my eye produces that pesky ACE12 and i just can't grasp the non-cheese-graphic of reading how ocular surface cells including conjunctiva are susceptible to infection by SARS-CoV-2, and could therefore serve as a portal of entry as well as a reservoir for person-to-person transmission of this virus.
TIA
I wouldn’t typically expect to find someone in this forum cheerily musing about their facial portals of entry being violated, yet here you are.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Icarus wrote: Because when you're presented actual scientific experiments proving the point, you just ignore it because it isn't from Breitbart.
Unfortunately, both masks and science have been assigned to the other team, so Ajax and Subgenius are forced to oppose them. Nothing personal, it is just part of the bylaws.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

It's interesting to think about how Sub responded to the Swiss Cheese metaphor. He went straight to ridicule, I think, because it threatens his straw man arguments against masks. He argues that we shouldn't use masks because they don't cover our eyes. But the metaphor illustrates how a combination of measures, none of which are 100% effective, can combine to be much more effective than each individual measure. So, the important question is not "Are masks 100% effective in stopping the spread of COVID." Rather, the relevant question is "Do masks reduce the risk of spreading COVID?

Sub rightfully asks about the science, but apparently doesn't bother to look. It's not hard to find. The CDC recently updated its guidance on cloth face coverings, based on studies that have been and are being conducted. At the beginning of the pandemic, there is precious little scientific literature on the effectiveness of cloth face coverings. (I know -- I looked for it.) The main study that said anything at wall was from back in the Vietnam War in hospitals, which described the risk of transmission from the face coverings themselves. But, although it led me to approach the issue with some skepticism (as in, where's the data), I became convinced as studies came in. In fact, the WHO, early in the pandemic, commissioned studies to look at the potential effectiveness of cloth face coverings. As the results of these and other studies, it added to its guidance for individuals a recommendation to use cloth face coverings in settings where physical distancing was impractical. It also emphasized that cloth face coverings should be used as an addition to, and not in place of, the other recommendations for individuals.

So, what's the state of the science. Here's the CDC's updated guidance, complete with reference to the science. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... -cov2.html Science your heart out.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

This mask issue is not even debatable! What on earth is wrong with people? Has everyone lost their damn minds? I cannot believe that the CDC or the experts act like this is a new discovery. I knew early on that face mask were called for in preventing Covid. Why?

Has no one here never encountered a chemo patient in public who is wearing a mask? I have for decades, seen women with head coverings due to chemo treatment related hair loss with masks on in public.

Are they doing this so they don't spread cancer to you?

Here's a couple of statements.
With a particularly nasty cold and flu season still gripping much of the nation, many people are taking extra steps to avoid getting sick. For many cancer patients, such precautions aren’t merely a seasonal consideration, but a constant reality, because catching an infection is more than a minor inconvenience—it could have serious implications for their health and treatment schedule. Experts recommend that patients protect themselves by taking certain precautions, many of which may make for some socially awkward moments, like declining a handshake at a business meeting or wearing a mask at the grocery store. But there are ways to manage both your health and your social relationships, and it often starts with a healthy dose of information—like telling friends, co-workers and loved ones that you have to take pains to avoid illnesses, and why.
In their day-to-day lives, cancer patients are often in public places, touching tables, chairs, doors and doorknobs contaminated with other people’s germs. “That’s why cancer patients need to be very careful about what they do each day,” Dr. Chowdhury says. “It’s very easy to catch germs in public areas.”
He advises patients to avoid crowded places, like malls, grocery stores, airports, public swimming pools and restrooms, if possible. If you must go out in public, wash your hands often and use hand sanitizer if you don’t have a sink nearby. Dr. Chowdhury also recommends wearing a mask to protect yourself from airborne bacteria.
https://www.cancercenter.com/community/ ... -treatment

People need to pull their heads out and use their brains. Treat yourself as if your immune system were compromised and wear the damn mask and stop politicizing a public health crisis!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:07 pm
This mask issue is not even debatable! What on earth is wrong with people? Has everyone lost their damn minds? I cannot believe that the CDC or the experts act like this is a new discovery. I knew early on that face mask were called for in preventing Covid. Why?

Has no one here never encountered a chemo patient in public who is wearing a mask? I have for decades, seen women with head coverings due to chemo treatment related hair loss with masks on in public.

Are they doing this so they don't spread cancer to you?

Here's a couple of statements.
With a particularly nasty cold and flu season still gripping much of the nation, many people are taking extra steps to avoid getting sick. For many cancer patients, such precautions aren’t merely a seasonal consideration, but a constant reality, because catching an infection is more than a minor inconvenience—it could have serious implications for their health and treatment schedule. Experts recommend that patients protect themselves by taking certain precautions, many of which may make for some socially awkward moments, like declining a handshake at a business meeting or wearing a mask at the grocery store. But there are ways to manage both your health and your social relationships, and it often starts with a healthy dose of information—like telling friends, co-workers and loved ones that you have to take pains to avoid illnesses, and why.
In their day-to-day lives, cancer patients are often in public places, touching tables, chairs, doors and doorknobs contaminated with other people’s germs. “That’s why cancer patients need to be very careful about what they do each day,” Dr. Chowdhury says. “It’s very easy to catch germs in public areas.”
He advises patients to avoid crowded places, like malls, grocery stores, airports, public swimming pools and restrooms, if possible. If you must go out in public, wash your hands often and use hand sanitizer if you don’t have a sink nearby. Dr. Chowdhury also recommends wearing a mask to protect yourself from airborne bacteria.
https://www.cancercenter.com/community/ ... -treatment

People need to pull their heads out and use their brains. Treat yourself as if your immune system were compromised and wear the damn mask and stop politicizing a public health crisis!
The problem is the ambiguity in the term "mask." Both before and early on in the pandemic, medical professionals and disease experts used the term "masks" for "surgical masks" or sometimes "N95 respirators." My wife has to go to a cancer care center for her annual mammogram. She hates driving downtown, so I always go with her. So I saw lots and lots of immunosuppressed people wearing surgical masks or respirators before COVID.

The early guidance was "don't wear mask," driven by two things. First, the evidence, based on use in hospital settings, was that these kinds of masks have to be properly fitted to be effective. Second, health care workers needed them, and we were desperately short of them. Discussions about cloth face masks arose when hospitals were running out of proper PPE and the CDC suggested wearing a cloth face covering as a last resort because, why not?

At that point, folks in the U.S. began to ask "if cloth face masks are good enough for doctors, why aren't they good enough for the rest of us?" It was a good question, but there was no science on the effectiveness of cloth face masks. This was in the early days when everyone was trying to figure out exactly how this sucker transmits. In particular, what role did contamination of surfaces play. The thing about the use of masks in health care settings is that the health care providers change them between every patient. They dispose of them after every use to prevent the outer surface of the mask from becoming a source of transmission. But if I run out to do six errands in my non-disposable cloth face covering, The outer surface of the covering can accumulate virus and become an additional source of transmission. That was one original concern, and it was scientifically legitimate. The other was the potential for people feeling false security because they were wearing a face covering. So, there were potential tradeoffs, and there was no scientific data on whether wearing cloth face coverings would reduce vs. increase the spread. So, there are important reasons why we couldn't just apply the effects of wearing surgical masks or respirators on a relatively small portion of the population and having the entire population wear cloth face coverings.

Now we have studies and data. And, while there is some evidence that wearing a cloth face covering provides some benefit to the wearer, the evidence is that the primary benefit of wearing CFC's comes, not in keeping the virus out, but in keeping the virus in. But the benefits come with a few conditions. First, you need to wear a CFC properly -- it needs to cover your mouth and nose. Second, the CFC has to cover your face with as few opening or loose areas as possible -- it needs to fit as snugly as possible. Third, while you are wearing your CFC, you need to assume that it is covered with virus and handle it accordingly. If you find yourself having to touch the CFC to adjust it, find a new one. Once you put it on, you should handle it only by the straps that go around the ears or the back of the head.

And for the love of God do not wear a mask with a valve. Again the primary benefit of the mask is keeping your nasty little droplets from infecting others. If you wear a mask with a valve, you're just a whale with a blowhole. Every time you cough or sneeze or even talk loudly, that valve is a little geyer of droplets and aerosols. When I see someone wearing one of those things, I make sure I stay as far away as I can.

In a perfect world, we'd have unlimited surgical masks and could change them often when we are out and about. The good news is that proper wearing of cloth face coverings can help slow the transmission of this sucker down to the point that we could, if we had the will, we could confine this thing to occasional, small outbreaks until we get an effective vaccine in use.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

canpakes wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:26 am
subgenius wrote:
anecdotal evidence from Reddit, oohhh how extra sciencey.
Notwithstanding your rigor, can you find a cool diagram of cheese that shows how the mask keeps the virus out of my eyes? I have a terrible condition where my eye produces that pesky ACE12 and i just can't grasp the non-cheese-graphic of reading how ocular surface cells including conjunctiva are susceptible to infection by SARS-CoV-2, and could therefore serve as a portal of entry as well as a reservoir for person-to-person transmission of this virus.
TIA
I wouldn’t typically expect to find someone in this forum cheerily musing about their facial portals of entry being violated, yet here you are.
I wouldn't expect you to expect such a thing since such things are old hat for you.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:34 am
... evidence, no matter how compelling...
Please, quote the "compelling evidence" presented in Doc's post - especially inasmuch as it contradicts the following facts.

N95 respirators with valves allow unfiltered exhaled air to reach other people, which increases the risk of spreading infection.
Cloth or surgical masks do not protect the wearer from airborne infection.
Cloth masks also easily get dirty, which is why OSHA and CDC recommend regular washing.
I admit, however, that I have yet to see specific data for masks that have been made from cheese.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

subgenius wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:03 pm
I admit, however, that I have yet to see specific data for masks that have been made from cheese.
You can be one of the first to try one out.

All of your posturing is cute, but at the end of the day you’re still donning a mask.