DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I think Doc hit the nail on the head. DCP desperately wants his faithful followers (5?) to think he is a polymath when he clearly isn't. His blog posts scream out "look at me, I'm really smart. Please observe me waxing philosophical as I easily move from subject to subject, imbuing a thirsty public with living water that only a polymath like me can provide ..... " He isn't what he wants the world to perceive (few are) and so he lifts the thoughts from a place that he thinks is so generic that it really can't be attributed to anyone, like wiki articles. He probably generously used the encyclopedia britanica when he was a kid, like a lot of kids did, when he was doing his assignments in school. Too bad the internet allows Lemmie, Tom and Doc to discover his secrets.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Physics Guy
_Emeritus

Post by _Physics Guy »

Plagiarism is a serious charge to make against a professor. This thread includes cases where Peterson has really copy-pasted extended passages with trivial revisions. My concern here is that I think it takes away from those serious cases to mix them up with doubtful cases of a few words like this one. For cases like this one it might be better to have another thread.
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Post by _Symmachus »

Physics Guy wrote:Plagiarism is a serious charge to make against a professor. This thread includes cases where Peterson has really copy-pasted extended passages with trivial revisions. My concern here is that I think it takes away from those serious cases to mix them up with doubtful cases of a few words like this one. For cases like this one it might be better to have another thread.

It's a bit like reading Hugh Nibley: some of the comparaisons are striking, some trivial.
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

In 2017, Business Insider published an article by Kate Taylor, titled:

How KFC made Christmas all about fried chicken — in Japan

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-kfc ... an-2016-12

In his Deseret News column published December 19, 2019, Dan Peterson plagiarized from the Business Insider article.

https://www.deseret.com/2019/12/19/2102 ... -japan-kfc

Below are the parts of the article plagiarized by Peterson, followed by the portion of his column containing the plagiarism. The words in blue are taken, word for word, from the Business Insider article, with no attribution.

Even worse, in my opinion, is the phrase in blue that I have enlarged: “filled the void...”

Not only did Peterson plagiarize this quote from the Business Insider article, he also left off the quotation marks and attribution from that article. The phrase comes from the comments of professor Joonas Rokka. Kate Taylor, in the Business Insider article, properly quoted and attributed the statement.

Peterson did neither, in effect plagiarizing within his plagiarism.

From the Business Insider article:
KFC has become a Christmas tradition in Japan.

This is largely thanks to Takeshi Okawara, who managed the first KFC restaurant in Japan. These days, Japanese people could end up waiting in long lines if they don't pre-order their Christmas meals from KFC.

Here's a look back at how KFC became a Christmas tradition in Japan.

...Since only about 1% to 2% of the Japanese population is Christian, the country didn't have many established Christmas traditions.

...KFC helped build secular and commercial traditions with the simple message: "At Christmas, you eat chicken."

...At many Japanese Christmas parties, KFC is just one part of the Christmas feast.

Across the country, KFC locations dress Colonel Sanders up in Santa Claus gear for the holiday season.

And from Peterson’s column, his plagiarism of the BI article. Exactly worded plagiarism is in blue :
In Japan, where estimates put the number of Christians somewhere between 1%-2% of the population or perhaps even lower, a quite secularized version of Christmas focused on Santa Claus and gift-giving is widely observed.

Also prominent among Japanese Christmas traditions is eating fried chicken from KFC, where the statues of Colonel Sanders that stand in front of KFC restaurants are dressed as Santa Claus during the holiday season. Japanese people who don’t pre-order their KFC Christmas dinners can end up waiting in long lines for them, and could miss out altogether.

“Why KFC?” you might ask.

Form the BI article:
KFC's Christmas promotion was the brainchild of Takeshi Okawara, who managed the first KFC restaurant in Japan. He would go on to become CEO of Kentucky Fried Chicken Japan from 1984 to 2002.

Just a few months after the first KFC opened in Japan in 1970, Okawara had the idea to sell a Christmas "party barrel," inspired by the elaborate American turkey dinner, but with fried chicken instead of turkey.

The promotion went national in Japan in 1974 under the name Kurisumasu ni Washington Kentakkii: Kentucky for Christmas.

The party barrel campaign "filled a void," Joonas Rokka, associate professor of marketing at the Emlyon Business School in France, told the BBC. "There was no tradition of Christmas in Japan, and so KFC came in and said, this is what you should do on Christmas."

... Premium barrels include options such as ribs or roast chicken with stuffing.

You can even pair your party barrel with Christmas wine that's sold at the fast-food chain.

DCP’s plagiarism, again exactly worded plagiarism in blue:
In 1970, just a few months after Takeshi Okawara opened the first KFC restaurant in Japan —he would go on to become the CEO of Kentucky Fried Chicken Japan from 1984-2002he conceived the idea of a Christmas “party barrel” containing not only chicken but, in some premium cases, ribs and stuffing and cake and even wine.

In 1974, the promotional campaign went national with the slogan “Kurisumasu ni Washington Kentakkii” (“Kentucky for Christmas”).

Since, in the 1970s, there were few if any traditional Japanese Christmas observances, KFC filled a void.

_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Oh, boy. :/

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

If you go here:

https://www.deseret.com/authors/daniel-peterson

and click on the next two articles, the ones right below the one Lemmie took a look at, you’ll see DCP cannibalizing various wiki (and a few other sites) articles without giving proper attribution.

What’s crazy is despite a couple dozen pages documenting his plagiarism, his acknowledging it, his going back and editing some articles to give attribution, he’s right back to his old habits.

Does the DN not care their ‘journalists’ are plagiarizing material? What happened to their plagiarism tool? Are some contributors exempt from that kind of standard? Is this just authorial bricolage?

- Doc
Last edited by Guest on Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

This one:

https://www.deseret.com/2019/5/2/206722 ... ter-easter

is a pastiche of Bible Hub snippets and liberal unattributed borrowing from “Parallel Lives of Jesus: A Guide to the Four Gospels, Edward Adams, 2011” off of Google Books.

I stand by my earlier assertion regarding his M.O. and our longstanding documentation of his plagiarisms.

- Doc

_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:It becomes immediately apparent what Mr. Peter$on is up to. He pulls his usual trick by insinuating he has to get back to his study or some other repository stocked with the knowledge of a thousand scholars where he says:

Well, I'm in the Canadian Rockies on vacation right now, hundreds of miles from home and with no library resources. So I won't be able to do any checking for quite a while.

... thus deflecting what everyone knows, that he routinely googles some topic, finds a webpage or a wiki article to plagiarize, and then posts he's working on some 'manuscript' when in reality he just craps out some re-wording of someone else's work.

I just want it pointed out that since that comment that he's 'much too busy vacationing in the Canadian Rockies' he has since posted, what, 11 entries on Patheos that are commensurate with the effort he put into the original plagiarized Arabian Nights post?

Please note from his, "What we should think of current science can quite properly depend, in part, on theology" post he oddly declined to mention the BYU professor's name while linking to his work, and then he linked to two other articles, in additional to liberally quoting from someone named Alvin Platinga.

Quite curious, if you ask me, that he can post robustly on a variety of topics researched from the tips of his Rubenesque fingers, but can't seem to *snap* provide a follow-up to his plagiarized article and, forgive me for my language, his humbling ass kicking by user 'lcmccabe'.

Will he do a follow-up? Based on his long and cantankerous posting history it's very, very unlikely.

- Doc

He never provided a follow-up, you know, with ‘library resources’.

- Doc

_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

DCP:

Some critics have claimed ....

Notice that Peterson very carefully reads comments here. When he can respond to them by noting something like a difference of opinion, or perceived persecution, he does. But he has stopped offering mea culpas and various excuses for his plagiarism, obviously because it is painfully clear that he can no longer pretend he doesn’t plagiarize.

This is a BYU professor, actively teaching students, and representing his university. His plagiarism is shameful, and casts a pall on all of his work. He recently noted that his column at Deseret News has been discontinued, and it would be no surprise at all if the newspaper took this action after becoming aware of his multiple instances of plagiarism.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Ditto Copy Pasterson has never had an original thought in his life, he's just another phony like Joe.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015