Red Wave

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Re: Red Wave

Post by Hawkeye »

Gunnar wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:47 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:00 pm
I'm not sure why I am surprised. But If $5/gallon gasoline, a recession, 8% inflation, the current bear stock market, and war with Russia doesn't change peoples minds, nothing will. Here's to $32 trillion in debt and much more to come, much more.
Why didn't the fact that Trump added more to the national debt than any other president in history change your mind about Trump?
Ben Shapiro is blaming Republican leadership and I think he's wrong. He blamed Trump for losing the two Georgia senate seats in the last runoff and I still think he's wrong about that. I'm really not sure why I believed the polls about this midterm election. Intuitively I knew from my time on this board that the recession, inflation, gas prices, and foreign affairs disasters, had not changed anyone's vote. The only people who are to blame for this are the American voters and we're all going to suffer for the choices we've made as a country. And yet I don't think even a great depression will change the minds of Gunnar, Veritas, or Bernie Sanders and darn near a 1/3 of the host of heaven. We could be living in the same economy as Greece, Venezuela, Cuba, or Russia and you all would still be preaching Keynsian economics and how healthy it is to have high inflation, expensive gas, and an astronomical national debt. Why anyone still has money in the stock market I can't explain. Even the devil would be wise enough to see what's going to happen next.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:19 am
I'm not sure why I am surprised. But If $5/gallon gasoline, a recession, 8% inflation, the current bear stock market, and war with Russia doesn't change peoples minds, nothing will. Here's to $32 trillion in debt and much more to come, much more.
It's a good point, people are prone to fallacious thinking, and even though 5$ gas, a recession, 8% inflation, and a war with russia have nothing at all to do with Democrats, meaning we'd have all these same things if Trump were president this year, people are prone to take out their frustrations on authority. The typical person who doesn't know anything should be desperate to get Republican leaders in who have lied through their teeth about their ability to reverse all of these things, being the shameless, filthy, dirtbag liars that they are; liars much like certain people who regurgitate these absurd campaign guarantees on this board. Republicans should be killing it right now with all their shameless lying, and if they aren't they they must have done something to piss people off even worse.
No I think your arguments seem to have carried the day with the majority of voters. I have to hand it to the Democrats. Republicans could never pull off an election like this in the face of such a bad economy. But honesty, work, and self reliance never were that popular or appealing to the masses.

How's business been for you Gad? Perhaps you're smart enough to be one of the few to see good returns in this economy. I should have gotten out a long time ago. What a disaster and a waste $401k has become. It's the 21st century's version of the social security scam. They lure you in with a tax break and then cut you off at the knees with inflation.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hawkeye wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:33 am
Gadianton wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:19 am

It's a good point, people are prone to fallacious thinking, and even though 5$ gas, a recession, 8% inflation, and a war with russia have nothing at all to do with Democrats, meaning we'd have all these same things if Trump were president this year, people are prone to take out their frustrations on authority. The typical person who doesn't know anything should be desperate to get Republican leaders in who have lied through their teeth about their ability to reverse all of these things, being the shameless, filthy, dirtbag liars that they are; liars much like certain people who regurgitate these absurd campaign guarantees on this board. Republicans should be killing it right now with all their shameless lying, and if they aren't they they must have done something to piss people off even worse.
No I think your arguments seem to have carried the day with the majority of voters. I have to hand it to the Democrats. Republicans could never pull off an election like this in the face of such a bad economy. But honesty, work, and self reliance never were that popular or appealing to the masses.

How's business been for you Gad? Perhaps you're smart enough to be one of the few to see good returns in this economy. I should have gotten out a long time ago. What a disaster and a waste $401k has become. It's the 21st century's version of the social security scam. They lure you in with a tax break and then cut you off at the knees with inflation.
That’s what you get for electing a guy who badgered the fed into printing valueless money by the bucketload with no tax revenue system in place along with corporate profiteers jacking up prices under the guise of inflation. But then again, if you had the ability to employ even a modicum of foresight you wouldn’t have such a sad sack crappy life where you complain about your home life and blame over half the country for your ill mood and economic tantrum throwing.

Pathetic.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

That’s what you get for electing a guy who badgered the fed into printing valueless money by the bucketload with no tax revenue system in place along with corporate profiteers jacking up prices under the guise of inflation.
Well it seems like the voters agree with you. Just be thankful the voters don't seem to demand economic results from the party in power. Take comfort in the truth that they will always be satisfied with finger pointing, blaming, and making excuses for our current situation. I think Biden is going to see this as a mandate to do more of the same. I mean if 8% inflation, $5/gallon gasoline, and working people taking second jobs just to pay the grocery bill got him results like this, think how well Democrats will fare with 12% inflation, $10/gallon gasoline, and $60 trillion in debt.
Veritas
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Hawkeye wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:12 am
That’s what you get for electing a guy who badgered the fed into printing valueless money by the bucketload with no tax revenue system in place along with corporate profiteers jacking up prices under the guise of inflation.
Well it seems like the voters agree with you. Just be thankful the voters don't seem to demand economic results from the party in power.
There are some issues where the calculus on that one issue overrides everything else. If someone agrees the GOP backed trying to steal an election and attack Congress? Kinda hard to vote for anyone with an R until they stand up against that. View the McConnell shenanigans in packing the the Supreme Court as having begun to impose religious beliefs on others ala Dobbs? Kinda hard to vote for anyone with an R when they clearly don't value democratic norms. Inflation, concerns over spending, foreign policy and conflicts in Europe aren't tipping scales for anyone who is weighing the effects of becoming a failed democracy. It was heartening to see that, to be honest. I didn't think we had it in us.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Hawkeye wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:28 am
Ben Shapiro is blaming Republican leadership and I think he's wrong. He blamed Trump for losing the two Georgia senate seats in the last runoff and I still think he's wrong about that.
So you finally disagree with Shapiro, but only when he's right. That's classic.
Hawkeye wrote:
I'm really not sure why I believed the polls about this midterm election.
The polls were right, but you were never good at comprehension or research. You probably just drank the koolaid Brietbart and company had been feeding you for the past six months.

Hawkeye wrote:
The only people who are to blame for this are the American voters and we're all going to suffer for the choices we've made as a country.
We already suffered by electing a reality TV star back in 2006 on the pretense that his opponent had been mishandling emails. Meanwhile, four years later we suffered a pandemic in which he mishandled incompetently and the economy was driven into the ground as a result. Oh, and then we find out Trump is actually guilty of doing everything he alleged HC had done with respect to mishandling classified docs.

The fact is brain dead mouth-breathing Republicans don't care about the economy, and never have. They only care about keeping Republicans in power because they're ignorant and kept in a perpetual state of anxiety and fear by the fake news outlets. The fact is 10 of the last 11 recessions all happened with Republicans in the White House. When we damn near had a depression under W's watch, no one dared blame him. When gas prices were at record highs during his watch, no one dared blame him. When the economy boomed under Obama and Clinton, no one on the right gave credit. All they did was make excuses and spun it in ways that would give credit to Republicans in Congress.

I really do think it is kinda hilarious all these people claiming the economy is on the edge of doom while they're clearly not suffering. The only people who think like this are those who are told to think like this. Just last week at my son's baseball game, a couple of parents were wearing idiotic "Let's Go Brandon" shirts and you could hear them ranting and raving among other parents about how they're sick and tired of gas prices. They'll fill up on gas at one of the more expensive places when they could have driven another mile and got it for only $2.93. Point? They don;t really care about gas prices. They care about playing their part as members of Trump's cult. One guy works at Costco and was just telling everyone the week before that he got a pay raise and is making more than he ever did working anywhere else. Now he has enough to buy his three kids fast-food and also afford his weekly supply of beer and cigarettes.

A few other folks on Facebook that I've known for many years now are saying the same stupid crap when I can easily draw their attention to the fact that they are better off financially than they were just four years ago. One of them bought a house for the first time in his life just last year and the other got married after impregnating his girlfriend. I worked with a couple of them during the Obama administration, they both got fired for being too lazy and calling in sick too many times. I ran across them a few years ago and they were unemployed, yet today during this "historic recession" or whatever the hell you want to call it, they're both working good jobs and posting Facebook pics of their brand new trucks. I don't think either of them finished high school, but they'll swear they know more than you do about economics, finance and politics. Listening to Brietbart and Daily Caller instills that kind of blissful ignorance in people.
Hawkeye wrote:
And yet I don't think even a great depression will change the minds of Gunnar, Veritas, or Bernie Sanders and darn near a 1/3 of the host of heaven.
Feel free to draw our attention to all the evidence that Republicans even blinked or tried to blame Bush for the Great Recession of 2007. Or his daddy for the recession in 1991. Or Trump for the 2020 recession. Or Reagan for the 16 month recession that began in 1981. You can't because everything you're saying is just a hypothetical about Democrats because the fact is we haven't had a recession that began under a Democrat since Carter, and even that was just an aftershock of the one created by Nixon. Meanwhile, you're just projecting what you think Democrats would do, because we already see Republicans doing this precise thing. Ignoring economic calamity when it suits their politics!
Last edited by Vēritās on Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hawkeye wrote:
Well it seems like the voters agree with you. Just be thankful the voters don't seem to demand economic results from the party in power. Take comfort in the truth that they will always be satisfied with finger pointing, blaming, and making excuses for our current situation. I think Biden is going to see this as a mandate to do more of the same. I mean if 8% inflation, $5/gallon gasoline, and working people taking second jobs just to pay the grocery bill got him results like this, think how well Democrats will fare with 12% inflation, $10/gallon gasoline, and $60 trillion in debt.
Weak. You live in a delusional fantasy world where you project your own BS onto others and larp about things that don’t exist. But you do you. All that poison you keep drinking ain’t gonna kill your enemies. Go give your wife and kids a hug, and touch some grass.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Hawkeye wrote:
Just be thankful the voters don't seem to demand economic results from the party in power.
Economic results? Thanks to Biden we're seeing the fastest economic expansion in decades, and the strongest job market in more than 50 years. Wage growth also reaching record levels. That's the economy. Inflation isn't the economy. The stock market isn't the economy. Gas prices isn't the economy. Those things are a products of supply and demand, or better put, free market capitalism.
Hawkeye wrote:
Take comfort in the truth that they will always be satisfied with finger pointing, blaming, and making excuses for our current situation.
Irony overload here. Finger pointing is all the GOP has left. You even said so yourself, Shapiro is blaming Trump. And is Trump pointing fingers? Oh, of course he is. Trump is currently having a conniption fit blaming everyone, even his wife.

Trump Reportedly 'Livid' And 'Screaming At Everyone' Over Election Results
Hawkeye wrote:
I think Biden is going to see this as a mandate to do more of the same. I mean if 8% inflation, $5/gallon gasoline, and working people taking second jobs just to pay the grocery bill got him results like this, think how well Democrats will fare with 12% inflation, $10/gallon gasoline, and $60 trillion in debt.
You sound like an idiot every time you talk about "$5 gas." The national average is well below $4 and has been for months. If your argument had any merit you wouldn't need to constantly lie like this. And inflation started well before Biden took office, as you even admitted here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=358&start=80

People taking second jobs during Biden so they can eat! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

There are some issues where the calculus on that one issue overrides everything else. If someone agrees the GOP backed trying to steal an election and attack Congress? Kinda hard to vote for anyone with an R until they stand up against that. View the McConnell shenanigans in packing the the Supreme Court as having begun to impose religious beliefs on others ala Dobbs? Kinda hard to vote for anyone with an R when they clearly don't value democratic norms. Inflation, concerns over spending, foreign policy and conflicts in Europe aren't tipping scales for anyone who is weighing the effects of becoming a failed democracy.
Well that does sound similar Ben Shapiro's post mortem point that MAGA Republicans were viewed as too crazy for independents. But I'm not buying it from him. Just a day before he was talking about how we were going to see a red wave, quoting polls, etc.
It was heartening to see that, to be honest. I didn't think we had it in us.
If you can win in this economy, I think you're well on your way to one party rule. Even if Republicans did regain some political influence, it's not like they just get to wipe away the $32 trillion debt and start again.
Veritas
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Loraine Boebert is currently losing by just 75 votes with 95% reporting.

https://www.cnn.com/election/2022/resul ... pped=false