Exmormonism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Wallaby Lover
Nursery

Exmormonism

Post by Wallaby Lover »

Good morning brethren and sisters. I'm grateful you let me join your board. I have a wide range of religious interest and like learning about how religion affects people's daily lives. The rapid expansion that exmormonism is seeing has piqued my interest. Is it acceptable for me to share LDS lectures and videos in order to get the ex-Mormon viewpoint?
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Exmormonism

Post by Philo Sofee »

Welcome. Do you have a website or channel or are you wishing to show them here? Yeah we like all kinds of information as we can learn it...
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

sure, a-mike.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Welcome Wallaby Lover. You are free to share what you like, as long as you do it in the proper forum. I do want to highlight one rule: Universal Rule 10.
Do not EVER "link-and-run." If you post a link to something, always explain what's at the other end of the link, why it's important, and what you hope other readers / viewers learn from it. RULE OF THUMB: If it's not worth your time to describe it, then it's not worth our time to click on it.

Using linked videos or materials as a springboard for discussion is perfectly fine. On the other hand, simply posting links simply to get a reaction is not.

If you engage in discussion with folks here, I think you'll find that there is no "exmormonism." What former Mormons have in common is that that they were Mormons at some time in the past. Beyond that, they're individual people with different opinions and interests. And some folks who post here have never been LDS. So, if you engage in discussions with folks here, you'll find a range of opinions rather than an ism.

Enjoy!
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:44 pm
sure, a-mike.
IP gave it away?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:44 pm
sure, a-mike.
Does this mean the request is a setup for something horrendous and disruptive?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Wallaby Lover
Nursery

Post by Wallaby Lover »

I logged in to post a discussion comparing the cult-like characteristics of Mormonism to those of other conservative Christian denominations. However, after reading the messages on my introductory thread, I'm not sure I want to. I am having trouble understanding what has happened on my introductory thread over the last 24hrs.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

IP gave it away?
no, that would be cheating, I wouldn't do that.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Wallaby Lover wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:31 pm
Good morning brethren and sisters. I'm grateful you let me join your board. I have a wide range of religious interest and like learning about how religion affects people's daily lives. The rapid expansion that exmormonism is seeing has piqued my interest. Is it acceptable for me to share LDS lectures and videos in order to get the ex-Mormon viewpoint?
Followed by this
I logged in to post a discussion comparing the cult-like characteristics of Mormonism to those of other conservative Christian denominations.
Um-hmmm. Of course you did. So, is it the "rapid expansion of exmormonism" or is it the comparison of other denominations to "the cult-like characteristics of Mormonism" that you would like to explore?

Those are two very disparate subjects, are they not?

I am also curious how you came to discover the "rapid expansion of exmormonism" in your studies of various religious groups?

Are you aware of the rapid expansion of the topic of "sockpuppetry" as well?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Wallaby Lover wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:28 pm
I logged in to post a discussion comparing the cult-like characteristics of Mormonism to those of other conservative Christian denominations. However, after reading the messages on my introductory thread, I'm not sure I want to. I am having trouble understanding what has happened on my introductory thread over the last 24hrs.
It's completely up to you whether you, as they say, choose to cast your pearls before swine. As for peoples' response to your OP, there is an individual who has been obsessed with trolling this board for over a year. His posting privileges have been repeatedly suspended for breaking our rule against use of sock puppets. Apparently, your introductory post reminds some folks here of other attempts he has made to use a sock puppet account. The best way to disabuse them of this notion would be to ignore those posts and proceed with posting whatever you wanted to discuss here. But that's, as I said, entirely your decision.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.