Church Historian Admits “Compelling Evidence to Doubt” Mormonism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Re: Church Historian Admits “Compelling Evidence to Doubt” Mormonism

Post by MG 2.0 »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:34 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:29 am
If you listened to his talk I think we would agree that there would be little or no chance this would happen.

Powerful sermon. It would be a bit difficult for some folks to listen to. Cuts to the chase.

Regards,
MG
Actually it is a morass of confusions, and extremely misleading, as I shall demonstrate extensively in my response.
Yeah. I’m sure you will.

Regards,
MG
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:26 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Actually it is a morass of confusions, and extremely misleading, as I shall demonstrate extensively in my response.
Yeah. I’m sure you will.

Regards,
MG
Yes, indeed, I will.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

It's a good thing that Boyd K. Packer isn't around to chastise the Church historian. That would have been an awkward conversation.

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Have you mastered the art of self-hypnosis sufficiently that a mountain of compelling evidence to the contrary will not overturn your testimony and obedience to Church Authorities? When you awake you will bark like a dog and raise your paw to the square.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:54 pm
There’s no evidence that the catholic Eucharist turns into the literal body and blood of Christ, either. It is entirely based on faith. Catholics aren’t called into their priest’s office and interrogated on that belief. Mormons need to be honest and mature in the same way.
The Pope doesn't believe that the communion wine physically turns into blood, or the wafer into meat. That was never the actual doctrine, though no doubt many misguided believers assumed it was. The Catholic insistence is that the transformation at consecration is real even though it's not physical. What the heck that means is a famous rabbit hole. At any rate it has proven to be stretchy enough as a concept that millions of people who are well aware that the wafers stay wafers nevertheless attend Mass without cognitive dissonance. Buttonhole an average Catholic today to tell them the bread doesn't turn into flesh, they'll just eye-roll.

How far in that sort of direction can Mormonism really go, though? It seems to me that it's a big part of what Mormonism is, to reject abstract hocus-pocus like Transsubstantiation and the Trinity in favor of down-to-earth literalism. In a lot of ways that's no doubt even a strength. It just leaves you with little room to maneuver when the down-to-earth literal teaching is clearly literally false.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:29 am
malkie wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:16 am
Well, he wouldn't want to suffer the same fate as Poelman, right?
If you listened to his talk I think we would agree that there would be little or no chance this would happen.

Powerful sermon. It would be a bit difficult for some folks to listen to. Cuts to the chase.

Regards,
MG
I think you missed my point: since Poelman, I expect that church leaders might want to stay away from the idea that people can have perfectly fine relationships with their deity without the church getting in the middle.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
sock puppet
1st Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:22 pm
consiglieri wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:35 pm
My old missionary companion, Elder Kyle S Mckay, currently the Church Historian, recently admitted in a public devotional at BYU Idaho that there is “compelling evidence to doubt” Mormonism.

It isn’t easy to disagree with him…

https://video.byui.edu/media/t/1_emz6rix1
Wow. That’s powerful. Jesus is the answer.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Everyone should at least listen to the complete talk.

You’re right. It isn’t easy to disagree with him.

Regards,
MG
Hey, MG, what do you think McKay was referring to when he said "compelling evidence to doubt" Mormonism?
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:55 am
It's a good thing that Boyd K. Packer isn't around to chastise the Church historian. That would have been an awkward conversation.

I imagine Boyd Packer would congratulate him on his fine talk. It avoided discussing any possible unhelpful information. Instead people should focus only building their belief and not wavering.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:01 am
Brainwashing? Only if you think that his admonition to gain your own testimony of Christ is manipulative. The onus is completely on us to follow through and work on developing a faith/testimony of/in Christ and His Gospel.
Jesus wrote:Will you be my friend?

Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:

McKay is a creep spreading the belief of fear and punishment for those who refuse to accept Mormonism. They seek to intimidate and threaten! It is abusive behavior and practiced for the sole purpose of brainwashing, controlling, and scaring people to stay in the boat lest they drown in sin. The spiritual vibrations of this man are very creepy, indeed. He's not someone I would want to spend my time with.

Well, it's wonderful outside that boat! I so testify of that!

:)