The BYP Live Hosts Dr. Trevor Luke, Sunday, Nov 12, 2023

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: The BYP Live Hosts Dr. Trevor Luke, Sunday, Nov 12, 2023

Post by Kishkumen »

I want to thank Philo, the BYP, for having me on the show! It was a blast! Kudos to you, Philo, for the great work you do over at the BYP YouTube channel! You are a wonderful host and interlocutor.
"Great power connected with ambition, luxury and flattery, will as readily produce a Caesar, Caligula, Nero and Domitian in America, as the same causes did in the Roman Empire." ~Cato, New York Journal
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

It was an absolute pleasure to listen to Philo, Kish, and Don Bradley have an in-depth discussion on a topic I know next to nothing about. Each brought a different perspective that engaged with and played well with the others. In a couple of hours, they changed the way I think about the culture in which Christianity emerged and developed. While I enjoy very much the long form discussions that take place here, seeing and hearing the discussion take place adds a depth that the written word alone can never capture.

Thanks to all for an interesting and education Sunday evening.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:36 pm
It was an absolute pleasure to listen to Philo, Kish, and Don Bradley have an in-depth discussion on a topic I know next to nothing about. Each brought a different perspective that engaged with and played well with the others. In a couple of hours, they changed the way I think about the culture in which Christianity emerged and developed. While I enjoy very much the long form discussions that take place here, seeing and hearing the discussion take place adds a depth that the written word alone can never capture.

Thank you, RI! High praise this is, coming from a sharp, careful thinker like you. I felt very lucky to spend time chatting with my two great friends Don Bradley and Kerry Shirts. It meant so much to me to get this opportunity. What a gift they gave me!
"Great power connected with ambition, luxury and flattery, will as readily produce a Caesar, Caligula, Nero and Domitian in America, as the same causes did in the Roman Empire." ~Cato, New York Journal
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:06 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:36 pm

Thank you, RI! High praise this is, coming from a sharp, careful thinker like you. I felt very lucky to spend time chatting with my two great friends Don Bradley and Kerry Shirts. It meant so much to me to get this opportunity. What a gift they gave me!
Everyone who participated or watched received a rare gift.
he/him

Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Thanks again, Res Ipsa! I appreciate how much you give to our little community. We are lucky to have you as a friend and associate.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:14 pm
Thanks again, Res Ipsa! I appreciate how much you give to our little community. We are lucky to have you as a friend and associate.
You're welcome. I try to do what I can.
he/him

huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I was not able to watch this last night but had some time this morning and watched and listened. I am glad I did.Number of interesting obsrvations came up. Kishkumen, this discussion not only continued to clarify what you see in the idea but showed how the idea of Jesus as a Roman God is not just an oddity but a valuable tool to help understand what Christianity has been and how that works with people.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:42 pm
I was not able to watch this last night but had some time this morning and watched and listened. I am glad I did.Number of interesting obsrvations came up. Kishkumen, this discussion not only continued to clarify what you see in the idea but showed how the idea of Jesus as a Roman God is not just an oddity but a valuable tool to help understand what Christianity has been and how that works with people.
Thanks, huckelberry! I am glad that it worked in the spirit it was intended, not as a weapon against Christian faith but as a tool to enhance historical understanding.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I too was given a gift of having my two dear friends with me on the show. And I so appreciate all the other insights from so many of you, and knowing that what we did has some value. THAT is the entire point of what I do. I am very grateful to know we were able to give another angle, not antagonistically, but just having a great conversation with all our friends, live on the show, and live in the chat. Your appreciation means more to me than I can express, each and every one of you. I am also, sincerely grateful to learn at the knees of Trevor and Don. We will be doing more together on a myriad of topics.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Great episode! I just finished.

So grateful there are people like Dr. Luke in the world and Dr. BYP in the world. You gents walk on water, in my mind.