Midgley continues to post slurs about Gina Colvin

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: Midgley continues to post slurs about Gina Colvin

Post by Dr Exiled »

Lou really needs to give up on the Mormon/whites know better narrative regarding the Maori and leave Dr. Colvin and her husband alone. The Maori would have been fine without the Mormon missionaries giving them a false narrative about how, without the Mormon white man's knowledge about Joseph Smith or Hagoth, they would have somehow been less than. Not so, but Midge cannot see beyond his silly beliefs and toxic desires to be king of the narrative.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Jason Bourne
Star A

Post by Jason Bourne »

Lem wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:32 pm
Midgley wrote:
And I will say again that I very much both pity and pray for my friend Dr. Nathan McCluskey, who just happens to be Gina Colvin's husband, who I have also included in my prayers.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 5421073668
“Just happens to be”?? “Very much” pities? What an ass Midgley is.

In Midgley’s mind, the way to insult a woman is to have pity for her husband, and to pray for HIM, not her. The Midge is misogyny and sexism incarnate. What a miserable creature. He has a daughter who cares for him. I hope that somehow she has gained a better sense of a woman’s worth than what her father demonstrates regularly in his stereotyping crap. I get the sense her mother may have taught her better, even while under what Midgley assumed was his “control” of his family. That seems to be a common way for women to escape such nonsense. Too bad it frequently seems to take multiple generations to reach that point.
I wonder how Nathan feels about the slight Midgley just made at Nathan's wife. A true man would punch Midgely in the nose for the insult. I perceive Nathan and Gina love each other very much and have made their marriage work in spite of their religious differences. Of course this is an observation from afar so I could be wrong.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

A very close friend of mine grew up in Louis Midgley's ward -- the same ward where he still lives now with a chapel on 4300 N in Provo. My friend's memories date to approximately 25-30 years ago.

I learned this fact just today, entirely by chance, as we were talking about a newly discovered shared common interest -- Mopologetics.

The first thing she (my good friend) said at the mention of the name Louis Midgley was "I know him!" and then that he was "terrifying" to her as a young woman, because he was known throughout the ward for regularly squeezing the young women's hands too tight and slapping women in the ward across the backs of their shoulders. As in, it caused actual physical pain. She has only one image memory about Louis, that being a mean person who appeared to enjoy inflicting pain. She recalled numerous occasions where she and other young women would have to shake his hand, knowing he would not let go until they yelled "ouch." And that, her own mother was one of the recipients of these back-smacks, and that as they happened regularly, men nearby would guffaw and shake their heads, while women would titter uncomfortably as if happy not to be the target that time.

Now maybe this was just a quirk of personality. My home ward had "that guy" too - the one who really got off on those painful squeezing handshakes, showing their superior righteousness through strength of the handshake. "That guy" in my ward said it was part of his strategy to give us young men strong handshakes so we could be good missionaries.

But then she also recalled that Louis appeared to really hate it when women would debate him in church and that it felt to her, as a young woman, that he was always shouting in church. She recalled one specific time when her mother was debating Louis about church history, and Louis was jsut rolling his eyes and shouting back at her. Rather a scarring moment for her as a young woman. She said that he had a "violent superiority" about him. Whether or not he intended such a response, that's how he made my friend feel and she believes it was a common response to his presence.

Louis may object to these recollections and even protest, but the point isn't to make any specific allegation but to show yet another example of a person whose lived experience was to feel threatened and unsafe around Louis. She wanted to be clear that Louis never did anything to her knowledge by way of overt violence or anything of a #MeToo nature. She simply recalls a terrifying "jackass" around whom she and her mother and the other women and young women she knew did not feel physically safe. It was a thing for them, she remembers. She added that Louis was not the only one in her ward with this type of reputation, that Louis' good friend "Gordon O." once raised his hand as if to backslap a woman in the ward who was debating an issue, and Louis was there and that she and others saw it.

Of course, this would have been the 1990s, and things were different then. :roll: Weren't they? At any rate, that's a perspective that came up totally unprompted, which gives this nasty Gina Colvin saga a sort of twisted darkness. Is Louis seeking out ways to belittle an outspoken woman because that's how he self soothed as a younger person? Too bad, if true. Professional help might be in order (but I'd suggest a male therapist). Louis may be old and physically frail at this point, and his days of hand squeezing and back smacking may be over, but the decades-long pattern of making an unsafe environment for women is evidently a known fact in certain Provo circles. Those women may have endured those years in silence, humoring him as something between a jackass and a quirky zealot, but that doesn't make it right and their silence doesn't make him right. If he's convinced of his good intentions, then he may consider that intentions don't matter if you make others feel unsafe.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

What's sad about this is the acceptance of the men in the ward of Midge's bullying of women. I don't know to what extent this occurred as this sort of conduct needs to be witnessed to properly judge. However, from what Dr. Moore just said, perhaps a firm throat shake would have been in order after witnessing the chicken conduct by the Midge.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:28 am
What's sad about this is the acceptance of the men in the ward of Midge's bullying of women. I don't know to what extent this occurred as this sort of conduct needs to be witnessed to properly judge. However, from what Dr. Moore just said, perhaps a firm throat shake would have been in order after witnessing the chicken conduct by the Midge.
Probably overdue by a large number of husbands and fathers. But it's like I said above -- maybe he meant no actual harm, though that absolutely isn't an excuse for making women feel unsafe. At minimum it reminds the utter lack of self awareness about the experiences of those around him. If enough people think you enjoy inflicting pain, it doesn't matter if you accept that feedback for what it is.

My first intro to this board came because I noticed Midgley seemed to really enjoy inflicting pain on Palmer in his book review, Prying into Palmer. And I stand by that opinion.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Dr Moore wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:33 am
Dr Exiled wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:28 am
Probably overdue by a large number of husbands and fathers. But it's like I said above -- maybe he meant no actual harm, though that absolutely isn't an excuse for making women feel unsafe. At minimum it reminds the utter lack of self awareness about the experiences of those around him. If enough people think you enjoy inflicting pain, it doesn't matter if you accept that feedback for what it is.

My first intro to this board came because I noticed Midgley seemed to really enjoy inflicting pain on Palmer in his book review, Prying into Palmer. And I stand by that opinion.
Yeah, well, one needs to see it first hand to properly judge. Even so, Midge continually makes demeaning comments about women and I am sure his treatment of those close to him warrants some sort of eye for an eye reaction, just like his mope buddies would do to their enemies. I still can't get over his boorish conduct in going to NZ to insert himself in Dr. Colvin's marriage. Dr. Nathan is probably too nice to give Midge what he deserves.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Punishing the people around him who he can't control seems to be his MO. Notice how he rants uncontrollably at Gemli. He obviously suffers from self-esteem issues -- and for good reason. But I really was shocked a few days ago, or has it been weeks now, when he went into a fit over Gina failing to delete the comments off of her blog defending her against his verbal assaults. I mean, he just brought it up out of the blue If I recall correctly.

And then there was that famous incident with him in the comments section of Times and Seasons, or a similar blog, when he showed up to pontificate about the Maori, getting accolades from the TBM posters. A semi-critical poster showed up and questioned him about something, and he went into a full tail-spin and threatened to quit posting over it and then kept ranted on and on about it. "can you believe that guy?"
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr Moore wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:44 pm
A very close friend of mine grew up in Louis Midgley's ward -- the same ward where he still lives now with a chapel on 4300 N in Provo. My friend's memories date to approximately 25-30 years ago.

I learned this fact just today, entirely by chance, as we were talking about a newly discovered shared common interest -- Mopologetics.

The first thing she (my good friend) said at the mention of the name Louis Midgley was "I know him!" and then that he was "terrifying" to her as a young woman, because he was known throughout the ward for regularly squeezing the young women's hands too tight and slapping women in the ward across the backs of their shoulders. As in, it caused actual physical pain. She has only one image memory about Louis, that being a mean person who appeared to enjoy inflicting pain. She recalled numerous occasions where she and other young women would have to shake his hand, knowing he would not let go until they yelled "ouch." And that, her own mother was one of the recipients of these back-smacks, and that as they happened regularly, men nearby would guffaw and shake their heads, while women would titter uncomfortably as if happy not to be the target that time.

Now maybe this was just a quirk of personality. My home ward had "that guy" too - the one who really got off on those painful squeezing handshakes, showing their superior righteousness through strength of the handshake. "That guy" in my ward said it was part of his strategy to give us young men strong handshakes so we could be good missionaries.

But then she also recalled that Louis appeared to really hate it when women would debate him in church and that it felt to her, as a young woman, that he was always shouting in church. She recalled one specific time when her mother was debating Louis about church history, and Louis was jsut rolling his eyes and shouting back at her. Rather a scarring moment for her as a young woman. She said that he had a "violent superiority" about him. Whether or not he intended such a response, that's how he made my friend feel and she believes it was a common response to his presence.

Louis may object to these recollections and even protest, but the point isn't to make any specific allegation but to show yet another example of a person whose lived experience was to feel threatened and unsafe around Louis. She wanted to be clear that Louis never did anything to her knowledge by way of overt violence or anything of a #MeToo nature. She simply recalls a terrifying "jackass" around whom she and her mother and the other women and young women she knew did not feel physically safe. It was a thing for them, she remembers. She added that Louis was not the only one in her ward with this type of reputation, that Louis' good friend "Gordon O." once raised his hand as if to backslap a woman in the ward who was debating an issue, and Louis was there and that she and others saw it.

Of course, this would have been the 1990s, and things were different then. :roll: Weren't they? At any rate, that's a perspective that came up totally unprompted, which gives this nasty Gina Colvin saga a sort of twisted darkness. Is Louis seeking out ways to belittle an outspoken woman because that's how he self soothed as a younger person? Too bad, if true. Professional help might be in order (but I'd suggest a male therapist). Louis may be old and physically frail at this point, and his days of hand squeezing and back smacking may be over, but the decades-long pattern of making an unsafe environment for women is evidently a known fact in certain Provo circles. Those women may have endured those years in silence, humoring him as something between a jackass and a quirky zealot, but that doesn't make it right and their silence doesn't make him right. If he's convinced of his good intentions, then he may consider that intentions don't matter if you make others feel unsafe.
Very sad. Communities have a responsibility for the safety and comfort of all of their members. Dr. Midgley derived pleasure from the discomfort of untold numbers of women, and he should be ashamed of himself. Those who never intervened to shield them from his minor acts of sadism are also culpable.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

DCP is very misogynistic, too.

Lest we forget:

“Kevin Graham” wrote: Last year I challenged Daniel to rebuke Schryver's antics over at the MAD forum:
You won't even condemn the actions of Will Schryver, whose behavior was so abhorrent that the authorities at the Maxwell Institute threw him off their publication schedule because they wanted nothing to do with him or his antics
Dan responds with a perfect exhibition of denial:
I think Will Schryver has been unjustly demonized. - Aug 20, 2011

I'm aware of no real evidence for misogyny on his part - Aug 13, 2011
In case you're wondering whether Dan had actually seen the mountain of evidence proving William's bigotry towards women, Dan made it clear that he had read through the thread posted by MsJack, documenting William's long history of disgusting remarks. (See http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/v...)
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

I've seen no serious evidence that Will Schryver is a misogynist.

I'll repeat that: I've seen no serious evidence that Will Schryver is a misogynist.

None.

Perhaps you folks should reprise a few hundred of the posts that were devoted to that endlessly fascinating subject here a few months back. They didn't convince me then, and they probably won't convince me now - Aug 13, 2011
I remember specifically predicting this would eventually come back to haunt him, Pahoran, and the others who refused to denounce Schryver's despicable antics. In hindsight, it really isn't surprising that the powers that be came to the realization that Dan Peterson was more of a liability than an asset.

Incidentally, this is the same guy who has for years tried to label me a bigot for simply stating facts about Mormon and Islamic doctrines. Of course, his argument is that it doesn't really matter what William Schryver says on the internet and it doesn't really matter how horrible his comments are, because according to Dan, he met Schryver's wife and daughter and he saw no evidence of "abuse." So that means Schryver must have been "unjustifiably demonized" by the rest of us. This is like saying a child molester mustn't be a child molester if he doesn't molest his own kids.

According to Dan Peterson's logic, calling a woman a C---T or accusing apostates of engaging in sodomistic orgies, is perfectly fine and shouldn't bear on the question of whether or not an organization named after a Mormon apostle should publish him.

But at the same time, folks like me, MsJack, Brent Metcalfe, Mike Reed, and a number of other internet personalities, must be maligned or ignored simply because of their disagreements with his views.

This is the same guy who attacked me for calling Wells Jakeman an idiot. Once you understand what a whack-job pseudo-scholar Jakeman was, and how Dan Peterson likened him to Einstein, suddenly it doesn't come as a surprise that he has decided to bond with William Schryver. This is the same guy who considers despicable characters like Lou Midgley, close friends.

http://mormoncurtain.infymus.com/topic_ ... _970882784
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:40 am
I still can't get over his boorish conduct in going to NZ to insert himself in Dr. Colvin's marriage. Dr. Nathan is probably too nice to give Midge what he deserves.
Those who are willing to be metaphorical daggers-to-the-front-and-back individuals, excel at LDS Apologetics. Given that they come out of a religious tradition, this trait is rare.

Speaking of the dark side of Mormonism, Dr. Midgley's McConkian blood count must be off the scale.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace