A Special Video Message of Hope and Healing From President Russell M. Nelson

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Re: A Special Video Message of Hope and Healing Is Coming From the Prophet November 20

Post by mentalgymnast »

Shulem wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:28 pm
mentalgymnast wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:59 pm

https://www.newsmax.com/newsmax-tv/sidn ... id/998181/

We’ll wait and see.

Regards,
MG

You just tipped your hand with me. Your statement and the link affixed just proved to me what your real intentions here on this board are. I've been watching you for years and have forced myself to reserved judgment in order to give you the benefit of the doubt. I know better now.

I'm on to you. No more benefit of the doubt. Grindael was right all along.

You had me suckered, MG. No more.
?

Care to be a bit more explicit? Without vulgarity please.

You apparently have an issue with Sidney Powell? Newsmax?

But you’re cool with Dominion voting systems?

I think this will go off topic. Quick answer or new thread?

Regards,
MG
Shulem
God

Re: A Special Video Message of Hope and Healing Is Coming From the Prophet November 20

Post by Shulem »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:00 pm
?

Care to be a bit more explicit? Without vulgarity please.

You apparently have an issue with Sidney Powell? Newsmax?

But you’re cool with Dominion voting systems?

I think this will go off topic. Quick answer or new thread?

Regards,
MG

Vulgarities are not necessary, so there is no need to worry about that. I need not defend my position or explain it. I need not make points either -- I don't care, it's not important. I've stated my position and I just want you to know what that position is. I'm not concerned with trying to make you understand why or how I arrived to this conclusion. It's pointless.

All you need to know is where I stand.

Have a nice day.
Shulem
God

Be thankful

Post by Shulem »

Gratitude -- I'm so thankful . . . .

• I'm grateful for the 10% of my money that I keep for myself rather than letting the Church rob me
  • I'm grateful for being able to freely express gay love without allowing the Church to shame me
  • I'm grateful to be able to enjoy a glass of wine (or two [3 ?]) with dinner
  • I'm grateful for being able to do whatever I want on Sundays
  • I'm grateful for not feeling guilty for not doing all the things a Church tells me I have to do to be happy

How about you? What are you thankful for?
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:59 pm
Moksha wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:58 pm
...President Biden will assume the Presidency on January 20, 2021...
https://www.newsmax.com/newsmax-tv/sidn ... id/998181/

We’ll wait and see.

Regards,
MG
Sidney Powell: 'Biblical' Lawsuit Coming, Accuses Ga. Gov. Kemp of Deal With Dominion
Oh that stuff? Look, 'biblical stuff' of all kinds has been 'coming' many times over the past 2,000 years, and funnily enough it has never ever turned up. Or if it was claimed to have turned up, the people who made the claim had to say that it had come in some 'speshul' and totally imperceptible way which only people who already believed in it could detect.

If quality of the Powell case is anything like that of the case argued by Powell's colleague Giuliani that was recently contemptuously dismissed by an actively Republican judge in Pennsylvania, we shall be waiting a long, long time. This stuff is just there to keep the base energised and opening their cheque books.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I am sincerely grateful for this group of excellent people who bring a very much appreciated and level sanity to religious thinking, ideology, science, psychology and Mopologetics. You people ROCK!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I read the transcript and have very mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I agree that we can make ourselves unhappy by clinging to the negative to the extent we can’t see the positive. Keeping a gratitude journal can help us undo a habit of focusing on and clinging to the negative things in our lives.

But the part about using social media as a gratitude journal as part of an organized campaign bothers me. I think it’s because something is missing. If I am grateful for the doctors and nurses who show up every day to care for COVID patients, shouldn’t I express that gratitude to them? And shouldn’t I express that gratitude by following the advice of health experts to wear masks, not gather at Thanksgiving, etc? Or, if I’m grateful to my family, shouldn’tI tell them and express my gratitude by helping prevent them from disease, suffering and death? Simple statements of gratitude in a post or tweet read to me as empty platitudes. (And I have LDS friends and family, so I’ve been reading them.)

The other piece of the social media thing is that I am fortunate in many ways that others aren’t. Does it help someone who just lost parents to COVID read a post saying “I’m thankful that my parents are so healthy?” Reminding others that I am better off than they are doesn’t help them let go of whatever might be keeping them from happiness. It reminds me a little of how Jesus taught his followers to pray in private — express gratitude to God without the public virtue signaling.

Finally, we have significant problems that we should both think about and do something about. There’s a difference between clinging to the negative aspects of our problems in a way that makes us feel miserable and helpless and denying the existence of problems. The message reminded me too much of the “Turn it Off” song from the Book of Mormon Musical.

All in all, it felt like a wasted opportunity. As well as a thinly veiled missionary effort.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Post by mentalgymnast »

Chap wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:47 pm

If quality of the Powell case is anything like that of the case argued by Powell's colleague Giuliani that was recently contemptuously dismissed by an actively Republican judge in Pennsylvania, we shall be waiting a long, long time. This stuff is just there to keep the base energised and opening their cheque books.
It looks like we’ll probably find out this week one way or the other.

Regards,
MG
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Post by mentalgymnast »

Shulem wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:59 pm
I need not defend my position or explain it. I need not make points either...I've stated my position and...I'm not concerned with trying to make you understand why or how I arrived to this conclusion.
Typical fallback/apologetic. But you DO know what you believe is true, right? Beyond a shadow of a doubt?

Regards,
MG
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:56 pm
Chap wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:47 pm

It looks like we’ll probably find out this week one way or the other.

Regards,
MG
Keep this post handy MG. You’ll be using it next Sunday and the next and the next...
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Post by mentalgymnast »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:42 pm
If I am grateful for the doctors and nurses who show up every day to care for COVID patients, shouldn’t I express that gratitude to them?
By all means. And I think President Nelson would heartedly agree. As long as you’re wearing a mask and social distancing when doing so. 🙂

Or call them directly on the phone. Wonderful idea.

Gratitude, however expressed, makes the world a better place. That was President Nelson’s message. Social media is just one way of expression among others.

In our ZOOM Priesthood meeting this morning one of the brethren mentioned that as he has read the ‘grateful’ postings on Facebook it’s brought to mind all that he is grateful for even in the midst of a pandemic. Sometimes we need those reminders. Social media is a good tool to make that happen.

I think this seven day challenge was inspired.

Out of small and simple things...

Regards,
MG