COVID is getting worse

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: COVID is getting worse

Post by Res Ipsa »

canpakes wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:39 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:10 pm
(The parents) are playing it by calling the kids patriots who (essentially) died for Trump.
I know that the argument exists that either of those two kids may have eventually contracted COVID and suffered the same outcome, but it’s bizarre to see parents of children killed by COVID essentially or proudly rationalizing that their kids died as ‘patriots’ in order to defend Trump’s ego and behavior.
"Dying is easy, young man. Living is harder." George Washington in the musical Hamilton.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

More information from Trevor Bedford on strain B.1.1.7. https://Twitter.com/trvrb/status/134144 ... 87232?s=21 It really needs a nickname.
he/him

Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:10 pm
There are two kids in my neighborhood (I don't know them) whose parents are big Trump supporters and did all the social stuff early on and contracted it and gave it two kids. Both had asthma. One died, and the other now has some kind of heart condition. I don't know yet whether the parents have changed their views, or like the white woman in your link, are playing it by calling the kids patriots who (essentially) died for Trump.

It's starting to get real now in my neck of the woods. We've done pretty well but it's ramping up. An older guy I'd meet on my walks is now on a ventilator. Super nice guy. Don't know his politics but he took advantage of some financial incentives at his job and went back to work. And then a young woman with a heart of gold and moderate underlying conditions (she's pretty fit though) just got it. The last thing she told me prior to contracting it was how scared she was to get it because her husband maintains his social life and says it's "no big deal". He got it and gave it to her. I found out yesterday as we'd expect, he's a big Trump supporter.
For comparison ...

The Prophetic Promises for Martyrs and Medina: Is COVID-19 a Plague?
INTRODUCTION

The number of people dying from COVID-19 is increasing at an alarming rate and Muslim communities are no exception to this reality.[1] In fact, Muslim doctors, nurses, and other healthcare workers are at the forefront of tackling this pandemic. In the United Kingdom, the first doctors to have died from the pandemic were Muslim.[2] The frightening nature of this pandemic has led many to draw parallels to ancient plagues. The comparison of COVID-19 to a plague needs to be assessed based on the definition of the latter provided in Islamic literature. Studying the validity of this comparison is important because there are legal and theological implications. In this paper, we will analyze this comparison to make sense of two issues. First, the Prophet ﷺ said that plagues will not enter Medina.[3] Yet, we know that many people have tested positive for COVID-19 in Medina.[4] Second, the Prophet ﷺ said that those who die from the plague are martyrs.[5] Does this glad tiding apply to those who have lost their lives to the virus?

[....]

CLOSING REFLECTION

There is perhaps no hadith more suitable to describe the present global predicament than the Prophet’s parable of those on board a ship: those on the lower deck think that drilling a hole in the side of the boat would be a clever shortcut to avoid requesting water from those in the upper deck. The Prophet ﷺ said, “If those in the upper deck leave them to do as they please, they will all be destroyed together. If they restrain them, they will all be saved together.”[62] There is no greater illustration of the devastating global impact that the actions of a few can have than the case of a viral pandemic that ensues from an index case alongside super spreaders.[63] It is therefore of paramount significance that every individual take seriously the impact their actions can have and do their part to limit disease transmission.

As the pandemic continues to intensify, it can be quite distressing for Muslims to witness their beloved family members and community members passing away from COVID-19 while alone in isolation, and without the customary washing, shrouding, congregational funeral prayers, and other acts of worship invoking God to confer honor, dignity, and forgiveness upon the deceased. Even more harrowing is the prospect that one could be placed against their wishes—God forbid—in a mass grave or cremated. But as the living bid farewell to the departing soul, one can take comfort in knowing that they have returned to Allah, the Most Merciful, Who will most assuredly recompense the faithful for every moment of suffering in this life and, by His divine will, elevate them to the status of martyrs to enjoy the companionship of the prophets and the righteous. Whatever may be missing in their farewell from the living, rest assured that they shall have an honorable reception at the Throne of the Ever-Living.

From the foregoing analysis, we learn that although COVID-19 does not constitute biological plague, a holistic understanding of the hadith about martyrs in the hereafter allows us to refer to those who lost their lives to the virus as martyrs. Moreover, the current pandemic reaching Medina does not undermine the divine protection conferred upon the city; thus Muslims should take due precautions and follow the Prophetic teachings regarding avoiding spreading infectious diseases. We pray that Allah keeps everyone safe and healthy and that He raises the ranks of those who have passed away. Āmīn.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I know that the argument exists that either of those two kids may have eventually contracted COVID and suffered the same outcome, but it’s bizarre to see parents of children killed by COVID essentially or proudly rationalizing that their kids died as ‘patriots’ in order to defend Trump’s ego and behavior

Right, patriots who aren't in a war with a virus, but who fight to live as people, and not dehumanized by masks and isolation.

When China wipes us out one day, they'll be able to use the same justifications the Children of Israel did when they wiped out the Canaanites -- these cretins even sacrificed their children to the fiery orange god Moloch, they really had to go!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

This how the virus spreads. One person comes to work sick. Seven die. Many more quarantine. The notion that we could have let the virus run wild and still have any semblance of an economy is ridiculous. https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... gon-covid/
he/him

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

https://apnews.com/article/alabama-coro ... d7d1798f6f

Covid is running through the deep South. I wonder if they’re going to ask for federal assistance, PPE, and money to fight it or are they, you know, going to handle it alone since they don’t believe in federalism and are super into states’ right? Also, I read a recent poll where nearly 70% of southerners thought Covid is about as serious as the flu.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

WE'RE NUMBER ONE!!! WE GET FIRST PRIZE!!! YAY!!! THREE CHEERS FOR COLORADO!!! \o/ \o/ \o/
(CNN)A Colorado man has the variant of the coronavirus from the United Kingdom that health officials say is more transmissable than other strains of the virus, Gov. Jared Polis announced Tuesday.

It is first known case of the UK coronavirus variant in United States.
The man, who is in his 20s and in isolation in Elbert County, has no travel history, Polis' office said in a news release.
"We will closely monitor this case," Polis said, "as well as all COVID-19 indicators, very closely."

The statement said public health officials are working to identify potential contacts and potential cases through contact tracing interviews.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/29/health/u ... index.html
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Speaking of running through the Deep South:

https://apnews.com/article/health-monro ... ed5a7e3440

tl;dr - Covid conspiracy Congresscritter catches the ‘flu’ and dies. Am I sad for him and his family? Nah. I’m not. I’m sad for the families that either didn’t know better or did everything in their power to avoid it, but were infected anyway. But if ya gonna campaign maskless, attend the White House xmas party maskless, and talk about your 4th amendment right to go maskless in the middle of a pandemic ... see ya, bro.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:58 pm
Mary Ann! :(

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/30/entertai ... index.html

RIP

- Doc
Yeah. And another one gone.
he/him