Numbers...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Re: Numbers...

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

High Spy wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 4:24 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 9:39 pm

So I can't choose a favourite colour.

Anyway... That led onto me thinking about high spys favourite numbers and how I don't like the number 52. And I thought about people having favourite numbers and how that might be similar to having favourite colours but with less variables.

Ha. :lol:

My beastly breakdown odometer reading began with 52.

380x507 is the native aspect ratio of my iPhone 7+
Haha. Your mileage is saying my dad's the devil.... Joking. lol.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Physics Guy wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 4:43 pm
There are so many ways for numbers to seem special. In fact it's probably rare for a number to have nothing special about it.
G.H. Hardy wrote:Once, in the taxi from London, Hardy noticed its number, 1729. He must have thought about it a little because he entered the room where Ramanujan lay in bed and, with scarcely a hello, blurted out his disappointment with it. It was, he declared, 'rather a dull number,' adding that he hoped that wasn't a bad omen. 'No, Hardy,' said Ramanujan, 'it is a very interesting number. It is the smallest number expressible as the sum of two [positive] cubes in two different ways.'
The numbers that crop up in my life are always dull and random-seeming. That's actually such a wild anomaly that I think it must mean that I'm a fated figure of destiny.

I understand that Joseph Smith once spoke of the future rise of The One Mighty and Strong. Did he ever happen to mention anything about a One Nerdy and Dull?
Bless.. I don't think you are dull lol. I enjoy your posts and the information you share. Your quote is a good example of a number meaning something to one person but not another based on perspective.

The number 52 wouldn't feel negative to me if my childhood wasn't violent and the coincidence that my mum's car that was the ending of that chapter when my dad smashed it to smitherines had the same number. If it was just the address, it probably wouldn't have created the connection.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Valo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 1:22 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 12:29 am

I wonder if it's to do with connections in senses. And connections we create over time.
I sense my dad when I think of the number 52 which is why I don't like it. Not the numbers fault but it has that energy. Like if someone said a random number, like say 45, what comes to mind? The more you associate the number to something the more you sense that energy when the number comes to mind? Maybe?

I find sometimes I get urges to lick art if it particularly appeals to me. Not often and I don't actually lick it.

I can hear my pain. not literally through my ears. I have chronic pain and I can associate a frequency and amplitude to different pains. Like UTIs have a high pitched pain. Sometimes a quiet high pitch. Which actually hurts more than a low pitched loud pain. The pain can be louder but duller and be less distressing than a very quiet high pitched pain. I think most people have a sense of how their pain sounds but my family thought I was weird when I tried to explain it.

I can smell and taste things that I am looking at sometimes and can pull memories of smells and it's as if I can actually smell the smell except I'm not really smelling it.

Think all my senses are heightened. I get visual snow, lots of photo bleaching and tinnitus. I hear lights and plugs buzzing sometimes. I have sensitive skin and can sense subtle changes in my body.
This week I have started seeing a new number when I think of a specific person. It is 27.

God made sensitive people for a reason. We get used and abused a lot, unfortunately, but that's because Satan fears us.
<3

My mum asked my dad why he abused her he said because he could. I think sensitive people have the disadvantage of being aware how they might affect others so are less likely to want to tell nasty people to F off.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 8:01 pm
Valo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 5:07 pm
Scriptures do say everything denotes there is a God.
After I bought a PT Cruiser, I saw them everywhere. After I bought a Saturn Vue, I saw them everywhere. After I bought a Hyundai Sonata, I saw them everywhere. My friends told me that they always looked at the clock when it was 2:45. After that, I began noticing when it was 2:45.

After the first time I noticed an airplane shadow go over top of my, I seem to notice them all of the time. The likelihood that a (relatively) small object flying at a high speed, and various times of the day could pass perfectly between me and the sun, as I'm moving throughout my day as well... seems impossibly unlikely. Yet, it happens. A lot.

That doesn't mean there's some supreme creator deity pulling every thread of the cosmos to make a plane fly over me, as I walk or drive.

We see patterns because we've evolved to see them. Seeing them helped us survive as a species. That we try to affix meaning to those patterns is just an interesting little glitch to the system. This is why slot machines are addictive. There is no pattern, but the brain is chasing finding one... subconsciously just one more pull and the pattern will become clear. Or, just one more prayer, or one more trip to church, or one more act of devotion or faith... and the pattern of a supreme deity will become clear. The fact that there is no actual pattern is what can make it feel so rewarding, and make us create a pattern and meaning where none exists.
Pregnant women see lots of other pregnant women. I get worried when I notice lots of pregnant women :lol:

I thought slot machines wait til they've made a certain amount before paying out. I don't like the uncertainty with these things. I get stressed inside when my kids want to try the claw machines because I have never ever seen anyone actually win. I tend to let them have a go but then discourage them when they want to keep trying because I know they won't win.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Marcus wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 11:30 pm
Valo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 8:50 pm
And just because you made a post saying "just because " doesn't mean anything either.

Everything is meaningless anyway.
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:12 pm

Yup. Pretty cool, huh?
Valo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:16 pm
“Everything is meaningless, only words have meaning...
So, wait. Is everything meaningless, or not? Everything is meaningless, but words have meaning???? come on. Pick a side.
I thought the "everything is meaningless" was said tongue in cheek.

Why does there need to be a side?

I think the idea of everything being meaningless makes me feel sad. I think I am one of those people that need a reason and meaning. That might be because of my experiences. I probably would become bitter and resentful if I thought everything was meaningless. I think for my own personal mental health I have to think that the crap makes us stronger and that we learn something valuable if we choose to. I have to believe there is more. I am not compatible with the idea that there is nothing more and that we are just in the moment blips. I know Id become depressed and think what is the point and it would get dark. And maybe that is because of how my mind is constructed. I think a lot of people feel similar.

It does creep into my thoughts and I do occasionally get the thought and feeling that there is no more than this but I consciously choose to not believe it. FOR ME, life is better to imagine more. The world is a brighter place.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Valo wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 4:44 am
Gadianton wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 1:42 am

Too bad its all meaningless. Even when the skepticism fades and the measurements are better accepted, they are just as meaningless as they ever were.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Thank you.

What do you mean? ;)

Some thoughts that came to mind for me...

Well, I mean I can't deny that as far as when I look at the world from a certain point of view that it's weird and meaningless.

So for example, I think back through my life. I was born. I don't remember a big chunk from after birth until I was maybe 3 and definitely memories by 4 years old. As far as I can remember I had no idea what the “F” I was doing here, why, what, or anything. The only thing I knew was when I felt hungry, thirsty, or in pain due to illness or otherwise. Then I knew how good it felt to get food or to have the pain go away.

When I was 3 I did not have any expectations, really, about the world around me. I had parents and siblings who basically informed Mr what is what. I was taught I had to wear clothes and do my hair and brush my teeth. I had to go to bed at a certain time. Eventually I was sent away to a school and in school I was taught, besides reading, math, and science, but also culture and social rules and I had to follow rules that were basically arbitrary, etc. My parents went to work and we went to church on Sundays and we did these things on Christmas and we believed this and then I had religious leaders and, voila, next thing you know I'm going through that lifestyle of I can't wait until high-school and then I'll need a career and I'll need to make some money and so I'll be happy when I get my first car. Or I'll be happy when I get through high school and am an adult and can do what I want. Or perhaps after I get my degree and land my dream job. Or maybe when I meet that special someone and we get married and then I'll have meaning, etc.

And yes there is meaning there and so on, but my point is that we are given a certain pair of glasses to see the world through, in this process of growing up in our Western society let's say and when we view the world through this lense we can miss certain aspects of reality that are real but we just aren't looking at them or can't seem them because we don't have the correct instrument.

Unless we are about to deny reality and that physical, material realm doesn't exists, and I doubt any of you would stake your actual life on it that it does not, then there is a point where philosophy ends and things like physical pain or injury, etc. matters. It's gonna matter to the person experiencing the pain or the suffering.

There is a reason why the way of the world is the way it is and that is because it is profitable. Nobody really does something good. There usually is some hidden purpose. There always is, really. Why do we do anything for each other, ever? Don't we post out here to get a dopamine boost or maybe we don't anymore but used too? Or do we say things to get social validation? And why do we want validation if everything is meaningless? Clearly the it's meaningful to the person who wants validation from others. But why? Why do we want others to like us? To accept us? So society can keep functioning? Begs the question. So we can get something in return? So we can work together? Question begging too. Seems it boils down to survival. We want to keep surviving and living and going on doing what we do. Which is, what?

What do we do? We go to work, we come home, do our thing, family, hobbies, shop, browse, chill, eat, drink, have sex, watch TV, movies, plays, I mean you name it, we are doing it. And it seems like we just want that to go on at least for ourselves or our family.

I mean most people I guess are happy with how the world is and feel personal peace and joy day to day or a sense of fulfillment.

When does something become real?
Hi valo. Didn't realise you are new. Feel like you've been here a while.

I love this response. There is a lot we could discuss here.
I think there are different levels. What you are describing is day to day purpose. The general just existing having meaning. Not really touching on the ethereal existence having meaning. But I wonder if you make a good point.

It certainly sounds like some people have a sense that everything including existence is meaningless. Perhaps the word meaningless is being confused with pointless.

A life without purpose can feel pointless but it exists so it isn't meaningless.
Valo
Deacon

Post by Valo »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 9:02 am
Valo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 1:22 pm

This week I have started seeing a new number when I think of a specific person. It is 27.

God made sensitive people for a reason. We get used and abused a lot, unfortunately, but that's because Satan fears us.
<3

My mum asked my dad why he abused her he said because he could. I think sensitive people have the disadvantage of being aware how they might affect others so are less likely to want to tell nasty people to F off.
Last night some people next door were cutting grass and using a gas leaf blower for hours up until about 1120pm when I finally got up and told them to F off! They said I had a stick up my ass! :D
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Valo wrote:voila, next thing you know I'm going through that lifestyle of I can't wait until high-school and then I'll need a career and I'll need to make some money and so I'll be happy when I get my first car. Or I'll be happy when I get through high school and am an adult and can do what I want. Or perhaps after I get my degree and land my dream job. Or maybe when I meet that special someone and we get married and then I'll have meaning, etc.
Boy, were you mistaken. Let me help you out.

“Everything is meaningless, only words have meaning because they point to something other than themselves. The word water is not drinkable but it points to the drinkable reality.” - AW

Unless that "special someone" happened to be a word, then no dice.
Valo wrote:in this process of growing up in our Western society let's say and when we view the world through this lense we can miss certain aspects of reality that are real but we just aren't looking at them or can't seem them because we don't have the correct instrument.
It doesn't matter what kind of instrument you have because the world outside is something other than words. Let me help you out:

“Everything is meaningless, only words have meaning because they point to something other than themselves. The word water is not drinkable but it points to the drinkable reality.” - AW

Even numbers are meaningless, because they aren't words, duh, but they don't point to anything in reality. There is no "three" out there in the material world for them to point to.

High Spy is going to find that really offensive.
Valo
Deacon

Post by Valo »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 1:42 pm
Valo wrote:voila, next thing you know I'm going through that lifestyle of I can't wait until high-school and then I'll need a career and I'll need to make some money and so I'll be happy when I get my first car. Or I'll be happy when I get through high school and am an adult and can do what I want. Or perhaps after I get my degree and land my dream job. Or maybe when I meet that special someone and we get married and then I'll have meaning, etc.

Valo wrote:in this process of growing up in our Western society let's say and when we view the world through this lense we can miss certain aspects of reality that are real but we just aren't looking at them or can't seem them because we don't have the correct instrument.
It doesn't matter what kind of instrument you have because the world outside is something other than words. Let me help you out:

Even numbers are meaningless, because they aren't words, duh, but they don't point to anything in reality. There is no "three" out there in the material world for them to point to.

You sound confused.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Valo wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 1:49 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 1:42 pm

You sound confused.
And BeNotDeceived and HighSpy would say exactly the same thing, Valo. Exactly.