Rules and Moderator information

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Rules and Moderator information

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:25 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:20 am

Would it be allowable for a poster to repeatedly use the phrase "pink vagina hat" in the Celestial Forum?

Y/N?
I don't have a Y/N answer
How bout pop an answer up there regardless? You can do that?

Let me rephrase for clarity just so we're clear what I'm asking.

If a male poster repeatedly uses the phrase "pink vagina hat" in his posts only to known female posters, is that allowable in the Celestial Forum?

Counselor, your turn.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:27 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:04 am
So, talking about “huge throbbing tapir dick” is cool as long as its clinical, and “pink vagina hat” is off limits only in context to sexual arousal. Fair enough.
Hold the phone. Let's talk about sexual arousal*. If a male poster consistently targets only known female posters with sexually charged and/or provocative comments, couldn't that be possibly attributed to sexual arousal on the part of the male poster and not necessarily just an attempt to shut down or harass female voices? One or both, or all three?

Because I don't like the idea of being used as a prop. And I don't know why any of this is subject to discussion but that's what we do here.

*In the future, pretend I never posted that. I'm going where I never go on this board.
Jersey Girl, it's hard enough to make good and consistent calls as a clone of Shades in actual cases with actual details. I don't consider it part of my job description to answer incomplete hypotheticals, which can continue endlessly. Report a post and tell me why you think it violates the rules as written. If I think it's clear, I'll tell you what I think. If I don't think it's clear, I'll talk with with Xeno and Canpakes and let you know what we think. If I think it's beyond our remit, I'll ask Shades.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:38 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:27 am

Hold the phone. Let's talk about sexual arousal*. If a male poster consistently targets only known female posters with sexually charged and/or provocative comments, couldn't that be possibly attributed to sexual arousal on the part of the male poster and not necessarily just an attempt to shut down or harass female voices? One or both, or all three?

Because I don't like the idea of being used as a prop. And I don't know why any of this is subject to discussion but that's what we do here.

*In the future, pretend I never posted that. I'm going where I never go on this board.
Jersey Girl, it's hard enough to make good and consistent calls as a clone of Shades in actual cases with actual details. I don't consider it part of my job description to answer incomplete hypotheticals, which can continue endlessly. Report a post and tell me why you think it violates the rules as written. If I think it's clear, I'll tell you what I think. If I don't think it's clear, I'll talk with with Xeno and Canpakes and let you know what we think. If I think it's beyond our remit, I'll ask Shades.
I made that post to Cam, not the mod team. Sorry for the confusion.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:07 am
Cultellus wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:56 am
so. where do we stand on capitalization and proper use of HOMOPHONES?
Personally, I find Mike's use of all caps on multiple posts irritating and I wish he would stop. It's just like Please Don't Eat the Daisies, only he's a grownup. Now, in addition to responding to reports, answering questions, etc., I'm going to have to go to Shades and say, Hey Shades!! I know you're busy with life crises and all, but I need to you to make a brand new rule to prohibit behavior that even a fifth grader knows is stupid and rude.

I also think all phones matter.

How was your day?
Great day. And you?

We had a plumbing emergency at the kids’ place. And we got it fixed. All is well.

Hey. This stuff is not worth bothering Shades. Don’t do it. This is a bunch of petulant crap.

I think it is absurd that we are going to moderate the triggering appearance of “PROGRESSIVE” but tolerate the needling fuckwiths of “right wing friend” and “Trumpists” and “fascists.”

The moderators are here to moderate. This is all silly petulant BS. Let it slide. Don’t indulge it.

Gambit, right?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:29 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:25 am

I don't have a Y/N answer

If a male poster repeatedly uses the phrase "pink vagina hat" in his posts only to known female posters, is that allowable in the Celestial Forum?

Counselor, your turn.
Please see my response to your last hypothetical. Whether a specific post or even a pattern of posts belongs in Celestial as opposed to Terrestrial as opposed to Telestial depends on the entire set of specific facts. The special rules for Celestial are:

1. Keep all communications "Rated G."
2. No personal attacks allowed whatsoever. This includes personal attacks against a person's family members.
3. No disrespectful communications allowed. Address the ideas, not the person who posts them.
4. No specific temple content allowed.

I don't recall wearing a pink hat in the temple, so I don't think I would have to think about 4. I would discuss with the team whether the phrase is G rated, especially because it would set a precedent for the use of other words that describe body parts. Whether number 2 would apply would depend on the totality of the post -- context is relevant. The rule I would look at the hardest would be number 4, disrespectful communications. Again, I wouldn't make a final decision without seeing the entire post or, if relevant, other posts.

If you want to present an argument for a position, I'm all ears and will give it serious consideration. But unless you are exceptionally good at creating complete hypotheticals, my honest answer is going to be "it depends."
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:44 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:38 am

I made that post to Cam, not the mod team. Sorry for the confusion.
Got it, thanks. Just apply this answer to your other hypothetical.
he/him

Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Christ on a sugar cookie with frosting and gluten.

Pink pussyhats? Seriously?

Wasn’t that from the “not my president” tour by Madonna? And now its being twisted into a victimizing trigger because it was reclaimed by the Russia stole the President tour, and if anyone doesn’t abide, they are a harasser.

This is nothing but a ploy to jack up the moderators. Refuse the hook. Don’t do it.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:56 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:29 am

Counselor, your turn.
Please see my response to your last hypothetical. Whether a specific post or even a pattern of posts belongs in Celestial as opposed to Terrestrial as opposed to Telestial depends on the entire set of specific facts. The special rules for Celestial are:

1. Keep all communications "Rated G."
2. No personal attacks allowed whatsoever. This includes personal attacks against a person's family members.
3. No disrespectful communications allowed. Address the ideas, not the person who posts them.
4. No specific temple content allowed.

I don't recall wearing a pink hat in the temple, so I don't think I would have to think about 4. I would discuss with the team whether the phrase is G rated, especially because it would set a precedent for the use of other words that describe body parts. Whether number 2 would apply would depend on the totality of the post -- context is relevant. The rule I would look at the hardest would be number 4, disrespectful communications. Again, I wouldn't make a final decision without seeing the entire post or, if relevant, other posts.

If you want to present an argument for a position, I'm all ears and will give it serious consideration. But unless you are exceptionally good at creating complete hypotheticals, my honest answer is going to be "it depends."

An argument? Sure. I would ask you to consider not only if the phrase is G rated but if the targeted harassment of female posters is allowable.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Cultellus wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:58 am
Christ on a sugar cookie with frosting and gluten.

Pink pussyhats? Seriously?

Wasn’t that from the “not my president” tour by Madonna? And now its being twisted into a victimizing trigger because it was reclaimed by the Russia stole the President tour, and if anyone doesn’t abide, they are a harasser.

This is nothing but a ploy to jack up the moderators. Refuse the hook. Don’t do it.
No it's not a ploy to jack up the moderators. It's an issue raised in the same way that business has been conducted here ever since the board hit air.

Example, every single Board Rule you see listed on this board, is the result of public discussion and the resulting rulings over the years.

There was a time where this place had numerous female posters. There was a point at which a significant number of female posters exited this board on account of sexual remarks being made to them. I take this as seriously as I did then and as seriously as I would were the board dominated by white posters whose racist remarks caused a minority of Black posters to exit this board.

Everyone is welcome. Every opinion is welcome.

Using female pejoratives, purposefully targeting known female posters with sexually charged rhetoric to the point where Pussyhats are now being labeled pink vagina hats in posts directed exclusively towards known female posters, making remarks about their sexual relationships with their partners, isn't a welcoming environment for (in this case) female posters.

Nor would it be if the word nigger or some variant of that were used in posts made exclusively to person's of color on this board.

For the record, ldsfaqs at his worst, was put on the queue for repeatedly using liberals and leftists AND you liberals and you leftists as an attack on this board. On his worst days, he was entirely sincere about what he was posting. Atlanticmike and his sock wearing variants is simply damned around with the community and has testified to that himself by his own hand on the screen.

If that doesn't warrant discussion here, I don't know what does.

As I said, the evidence is crystal clear that Atlanticmike intends harassment of known female posters and why is that? Because just as I stated, he has been interacting with unknown female posters since the day he blew in here and has never once used those pejoratives in his posts to them. His remarks aren't random, they are targeted.

I believe in sorting things through which is exactly how this community developed it's Board Rules and it's policies. Examples, we ruled on the use of the words retard, cunt, and nigger. It was Shades, I believe, who ruled on the words "F" and "S" and their variants until we got a word censor put in place.

What you see here today is the product of years and years of community discussion and determinations. It didn't happen over night. It evolved just as it may evolve further on the issue of targeted harassment of posters in this case, female posters, though it's already encoded.

Universal Rule #9.

Do not make threats or take actions to cause another member to feel harassed or fearful for his or her safety "in real life." Please do not do this via e-mail or private message, either.

And there it is, clear as the day it was written post-incident and/or post-discussion. Line upon line. Precept upon precept. Just as it was intended to be...by Shades.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

RI here's the forum description for Celestial.
The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G
I propose that we install a third forum here in Old Testament that is on par with Celestial.

I think that would eliminate a lot of issues that I'm raising here.

Slava Ukraini!