Thursday Election Updates

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: Thursday Election Updates

Post by Chap »

subgenius wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:56 pm
if you need 20,000 armed troops at your inauguration your win was probably not legit.
Er, no. In this case it means that despite the fact that judge after judge rejected challenges to various parts of this election, and despite the fact that the attorney-general said that the election was not fraudulent, and despite .... (etc. etc.) .... despite all that, the BOL (Big Orange Liar) has continued to shout that the election was fraudulent to his followers, who have, despite the lack of credible evidence, believed him just because he is their speshul guy, and because QAnon.

And those people have already shown themselves willing to break into the Capitol, assault and kill police officers, and threaten to hang the VP. And now people like that are explicitly threatening to turn up armed to the Inauguration.

That being the case, not to be prepared to respond with armed force to any armed crazies who do turn up would be hugely irresponsible, would it not?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

Chap wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:44 pm
subgenius wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:56 pm
if you need 20,000 armed troops at your inauguration your win was probably not legit.
Er, no. In this case it means that despite the fact that judge after judge rejected challenges to various parts of this election, and despite the fact that the attorney-general said that the election was not fraudulent, and despite .... (etc. etc.) .... despite all that, the BOL (Big Orange Liar) has continued to shout that the election was fraudulent to his followers, who have, despite the lack of credible evidence, believed him just because he is their speshul guy, and because QAnon.

And those people have already shown themselves willing to break into the Capitol, assault and kill police officers, and threaten to hang the VP. And now people like that are explicitly threatening to turn up armed to the Inauguration.

That being the case, not to be prepared to respond with armed force to any armed crazies who do turn up would be hugely irresponsible, would it not?
except the evidence and timeline prove you wrong.
Again
empty mall
+20k armed soldiers
un climbable fences
record breaking popular vote
but
you argue he should still be afraid
while
I argue that it supports the fraud narrative
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

and it's a dumb "argument" -- if it even qualifies as an argument.
“Going through the court system to try and get some results — he exhausted everything, it was over,” Langone told CNBC.

“I feel those people who sought to stop the process were ill-advised,” he added.

Asked whether Trump should be impeached — a step the House was moving toward Wednesday — Langone responded bluntly: “I don’t care.”

“All I care about is one thing: Jan. 20, Joe Biden’s going to be sworn in as president and I’m going to work my ass off any way I can because I win — if he’s a great successful president, we all win,” he said.
ouch.

so subs, do you plan to vote in 2024?
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:35 am
and it's a dumb "argument" -- if it even qualifies as an argument.
It's an incredibly dumb argument! As dumb as Medieval or Salem witch hunters' arguments that denying being a witch was conclusive proof that one was a witch, or some flat earthers' arguments that the sheer abundance and seeming incontrovertibility of the evidence against the flat earth theory only proves the extreme depth, pervasiveness and cleverness of the wicked conspiracy against it.

Subby, tell the truth. Do you also accept the flat earth theory?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

subgenius wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:25 am
Again
empty mall
+20k armed soldiers
un climbable fences
but
while
Lol.

Hey, Bright Eyes ... tell me which Administration is putting up the “un climbable” fences and calling up the Guard, again?
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Subgenius,

I am quite sure that Biden himself is neither afraid personally at the moment, not has any reason to be so, given who he is and the level of protection now accorded to him and to be accorded at the inauguration. A bunch of Proud Boys could roam Washington shooting anybody they think has a 'liberal face', and Biden, his family and his team will be OK.

But, you see, a decent President sometimes thinks of the safety and peace of mind of people other than himself, and those in his immediate entourage. Yup, after four years of having a totally self-centered narcisssist as President, I know that sounds weird. Remember when Trump was asked if he was not worried about his rallies promoting viral infection, and he replied, in effect "No, because I am up on a dais a good distance from all those people." He assumed the question was solely about him ... because that's the way he thinks.

Normal people, however, think more like this:

(a) Over the last week, the internet has been full of open chatter about organising armed interventions at state Capitols and at the inauguration itself.
(b) Lots of people who support the new President will want to be around for his inauguration.
(c) If any crazies start shooting, ordinary peaceful Americans will be at risk of death or serious injury.
(d) Therefore it would be wise to ensure that any crazies who are minded to do their crazy stuff in Washington are confronted with a highly discouraging level of potential armed force on the side of law and order.

I hope that is clear now.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

canpakes wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:21 am
subgenius wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:25 am
Again
empty mall
+20k armed soldiers
un climbable fences
but
while
Lol.

Hey, Bright Eyes ... tell me which Administration is putting up the “un climbable” fences and calling up the Guard, again?
Good point, maybe you can tell me if they are putting up fences to keep people out or keep people in?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

subgenius wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:17 pm
canpakes wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:21 am

Lol.

Good point, maybe you can tell me if they are putting up fences to keep people out or keep people in?
You’re free to offer your opinion, if you have the spine for it. My own opinion is that Trump needs a bit more security installed than wait for crowds to reach his bunker door.
subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

canpakes wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:24 pm
subgenius wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:17 pm

You’re free to offer your opinion, if you have the spine for it. My own opinion is that Trump needs a bit more security installed than wait for crowds to reach his bunker door.
Personally, and given the evidence available, the security in DC looks like it is prepared more for an Antifa crowd than a MAGA crowd....
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

subgenius wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:47 pm
canpakes wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:24 pm

Personally, and given the evidence available, the security in DC looks like it is prepared more for an Antifa crowd than a MAGA crowd....
The evidence of having had to charge so many MAGA rioters, apparently. ; )