do I understand the definition of a woman?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Re: do I understand the definition of a woman?

Post by Markk »

Themis wrote:…Given that biological sex is a messy broad spectrum do you think there could be other biological chemistry here that may contribute to some people feeling their biological sex does not fit how the may identify their gender? I'm reminded of homosexuality and thinking why so many people from religious and cultural backgrounds that hated Homosexuality would be gay.
Good question and I have to think this through, as I am sure you have and will…and narrow the question down.

In regards to folks that have no clear traceable physical or genetic disorders…I am not really sure where to start. There are without doubt people who have different feelings based on different, for lack of a better term, environmental and cultural influences and how they were raised and what journey they have grown up through.

I watched a video a few months back, I’ll look later to see if I can find it, where a mother went forward at a Unitarian type of church service, with a very young son, I am guessing 8-ish….and she stated, in a testimony type of service, that her then son was now identifying as a girl, and the child as I remember it stood next to her and just kinda smiled?

I have no idea as to whether or not the child suffered with a DSD….but for arguments sake lets so no.

For discussions sake, how do we sort through this? What “other” biological chemistry scenarios might apply to this?
Themis
Elder

Post by Themis »

Markk wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 1:02 am
Something is wrong… genetically…that is why they are called diseases, syndromes, and disorders.
It depends on if it affects their overall health physically and mentally/physiological health. Should we call blue or green eyes a disorder?
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Themis wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:39 pm
It depends on if it affects their overall health physically and mentally/physiological health. Should we call blue or green eyes a disorder?
Exactly. Why do you think Markk isn't answering my questions.
1. How exactly would Ephesians 5:22 apply to a married person with CAIS?

2. Do you believe the Lord is cool with same sex marriage?

3. How would Jesus heal a person with CAIS who identifies as female? Would a dick and testicles magically appear?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Markk wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 12:27 am
“Science is dick about it” was one of your more profound arguments.

Not what I said. But let me ask you Markk, would you say that children with progeria are old children?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Themis wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:39 pm
Markk wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 1:02 am
Something is wrong… genetically…that is why they are called diseases, syndromes, and disorders.
Apples and oranges in regards to disease and symptoms…mutations of eye colors is hardly in the same ball park, is it a disorder, yes from what I have read. Some disorders are not harmful and construed as okay(normal), like blues eyes…but others go much deeper and cause real medical issues, like in the case that most with DSD, regeneration is not possible and life long medical treatments are required .

A disorder is a disorder, and the affects of how it affects the person does not make it less of a disorder.

I could not find the link, yet of the example I mentioned in my last post, but I did find this that lends to my point…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M_Sgk94pKU

What do you think?
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Markk hates women and he is a coward for refusing to defend his Christian faith.
Themis
Elder

Post by Themis »

Markk wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:28 pm
In regards to folks that have no clear traceable physical or genetic disorders…I am not really sure where to start. There are without doubt people who have different feelings based on different, for lack of a better term, environmental and cultural influences and how they were raised and what journey they have grown up through.
I'm not sure where to start, but none of us are really the same. Some are shorter, taller, naturally stronger etc. This includes sex. We have focused more on the extremes which are much rarer than the smaller differences surrounding biological sex and gender identification. So I would say that biology would play a role in gender identity as well as environment and culture. I do wonder how much culture plays with those who don't go with the culture norms of what gender they are suppose to be. This is also related to homosexuality. We have many examples of people whose entire family and society they grow up in tell them one thing while they can't seem to help feeling the are something else. People grow up in countries where to be gay or transgender risks death, yet they still do it.
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Themis wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 4:37 am
Markk wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:28 pm
I'm not sure where to start, but none of us are really the same. Some are shorter, taller, naturally stronger etc. This includes sex. We have focused more on the extremes which are much rarer than the smaller differences surrounding biological sex and gender identification. So I would say that biology would play a role in gender identity as well as environment and culture. I do wonder how much culture plays with those who don't go with the culture norms of what gender they are suppose to be. This is also related to homosexuality. We have many examples of people whose entire family and society they grow up in tell them one thing while they can't seem to help feeling the are something else. People grow up in countries where to be gay or transgender risks death, yet they still do it.
We are all the same genetically….common genes allow the variables you mentioned, and allow disease and disorders. The disorders that we have been discussing are rare and if you wish “mutations.” These are biologically defined as best as research and advancement allows.

What I gather you are saying is that basically there is no such thing as disease and disorders in the medical sense, but that disorders and disease are just par for the course and should not be understood as medical conditions. Is that fair?
Themis
Elder

Post by Themis »

Markk wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 4:54 am
We are all the same genetically….common genes allow the variables you mentioned, and allow disease and disorders. The disorders that we have been discussing are rare and if you wish “mutations.” These are biologically defined as best as research and advancement allows.
Well no we are all different genetically. Genetics plays a large role in why we look and act differently. It also plays a role in biological sex and gender identity. There is still a lot to learn in these areas, but it appears genetics and environment may play the biggest roles in gender identity. Most cultural inferences tends to push conformity to a binary view of sex and gender.
What I gather you are saying is that basically there is no such thing as disease and disorders in the medical sense, but that disorders and disease are just par for the course and should not be understood as medical conditions. Is that fair?
No I am just saying that some things that were called disorders no longer are, like homosexuality.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Am I to understand that the Nature that’d create this kind of genetic divergence:

stops at outward physical similarities, and doesn’t affect every other aspect of the physical system comprising the brain and body?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.