Why Do Biblical Christians Think God Doesn't Inspire the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
msnobody
Prophet

Re: Why Do Biblical Christians Think God Doesn't Inspire the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

Post by msnobody »

KevinSim wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:49 pm
msnobody wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:31 am
It is my understanding that a true prophet would have had a divine encounter with God, whatever a prophet says comes to pass (Deut.18), is empowered to do miraculous things (Deut. 12), and Deut. 13:1-5 Though a prophet may perform miracles, do not listen if he teaches contrary to the word of the LORD.
Msnobody, does God agree with that understanding? Does God think that a true prophet must have all those characteristics?
msnobody wrote:Basically, my answer to your question would be that TCoJCoLDS leadership does not teach the biblical gospel.
Msnobody, what does teaching or not teaching the biblical gospel have to do with whether or not God has chosen the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to speak for Her/Him?
I believe God gave us this means to test those who claim to speak for Him, so we won't be led astray. Yes, all those characteristics.

You asked, " what does teaching or not teaching the biblical gospel have to do with whether or not God has chosen the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to speak for Her/Him?"

Absolutely everything! For it is impossible for God to lie.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Why Do Biblical Christians Think God Doesn't Inspire the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

msnobody wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:07 am
Is it any better if he gets others to do it for him (1 Kings 21-23)? It’s essentially the same thing, except for it’s more perverse because he forces others into this game of deception. It’d just be better for him to lie and then own it.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

msnobody wrote:
KevinSim wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:49 pm

Msnobody, does God agree with that understanding? Does God think that a true prophet must have all those characteristics?

Msnobody, what does teaching or not teaching the biblical gospel have to do with whether or not God has chosen the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to speak for Her/Him?
I believe God gave us this means to test those who claim to speak for Him, so we won't be led astray. Yes, all those characteristics.

You asked, " what does teaching or not teaching the biblical gospel have to do with whether or not God has chosen the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to speak for Her/Him?"

I thought he just quit being god if he lied.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

How would anyone every know if God could or has lied? He'd have to have lied if he has any awareness at all. There'd be no escaping it, I'd think.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Rivendale wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:14 pm
msnobody wrote:

I thought he just quit being god if he lied.
Probably so.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:55 pm
msnobody wrote:
Is it any better if he gets others to do it for him (1 Kings 21-23)? It’s essentially the same thing, except for it’s more perverse because he forces others into this game of deception. It’d just be better for him to lie and then own it.

- Doc
Are you referring to when God decides it is time for Ahab to die and allows a divine council member to come up with a plan in 1Kings 22::21-23?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

msnobody wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:09 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:55 pm

- Doc
Are you referring to when God decides it is time for Ahab to die and allows a divine council member to come up with a plan in 1Kings 22::21-23?
Whoops, yes, chapter 22 regarding whether or not Israel should attack Syria and all that business. God gets 400 prophets to lie to Ahab.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:29 pm
msnobody wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:09 pm

Whoops, yes, chapter 22 regarding whether or not Israel should attack Syria and all that business. God gets 400 prophets to lie to Ahab.

- Doc
The good news is that Yahweh is working to reclaim the disinherited nations, and one day the good guys will replace the disloyal elohim of the divine council who rule the disinherited nations.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

msnobody wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:15 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:29 pm

- Doc
The good news is that Yahweh is working to reclaim the disinherited nations, and one day the good guys will replace the disloyal elohim of the divine council who rule the disinherited nations.
What does that have to do with the Jewish god lying by proxy?

- Doc
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:42 am
msnobody wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:15 am

What does that have to do with the Jewish god lying by proxy?

- Doc
I think I’ve opened up a huge can of worms.
I’m really tired and should probably wait until I’ve had some sleep, but here goes.

It is my understanding that the spirit in verse 21 is a member of the heavenly host/divine council, an elohim disloyal to Yahweh.

It is my understanding that God (Elohim) allows lesser elohim (loyal and disloyal) to co-rule with him. These elohim (disembodied or unembodied) spirits, like us, exercise free will.

God has allowed this disloyal elohim to come up with the plan of how Ahab will die, and allows this plan to play out.

Verse 23 does say that the Lord has put a lying spirit in the mouth of Ahab’s prophets.

I’m really tired. I’ll look at this again tomorrow, and hopefully won’t wonder what was I thinking. 😋