Musk has jumped the shark

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Musk has jumped the shark

Post by Res Ipsa »

Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:57 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:30 pm
I think Musk is discovering what Twitter has been like for the average person who becomes the target of malicious trolls. Surprise! He doesn't like it any more than anyone else does. He's experienced the benefits of free speech, but not the consequences of those who use speech as a weapon to harass, disrupt and threaten. It was perfectly fine when this kind of thing was happening to the libs, but it's definitely not fine when it happens to Elon Musk. So, after he proclaimed himself the champion of free speech, invited back the harassers, and fired the people whose job it was prevent harassment and threats, he got to experience exactly what led Twitter to have a code of conduct and a group charged with online safety.

Now he's in the ridiculous position of making up rules on the fly to protect himself from posts he doesn't like. The new rules aren't well thought out. They aren't consistent. And some are crazy on their face. So now it's simply become rule by fiat.

Beyond that, he's incompetent to administer his platform in a coherent way. Yesterday he banned 9 journalists. But he only banned them from posting. He didn't ban them from "spaces," which are live chats. A number of journalists gathered in a space to try and figure out what the hell was going on. Musk logged into the space. But, when confronted by the journalist, he fled the room.

I've tried to stick it out there, as there are several people for whom I have great respect, who have stated that they're not leaving voluntarily. But the vast majority of sources I've followed for information on the pandemic and public health issues, as well as important legal cases, have moved to substack (which allows nice long form articles, but to get all the content you have to purchase a subscription for each author), mastodon (which is not well developed at this point) or Post (which I'm on the waitlist for, but am skeptical of).

Most of my feed currently is posts from a group of docs (mostly toxicologists) that are both knowledgable and good communicators. And their interactions are funny as hell. So, some entertainment. But that's about it.
It was always rule by fiat. It's just that your side no longer gets to make the rules. So find yourselves another home.

Do you think Jim Crowe was a segregated society? What If I told you that in under a decade and in addition to separate social media platforms, we'd have separate stores, separate schools, separate restaurants, separate bathrooms, separate hospitals, separate razor companies, separate professional sports leagues, not based upon race but upon political party. We'd have a conservative version of Hollywood in Nashville. I could see it becoming illegal for us to even speak to each other. Perhaps that's better than trying to exterminate each other. But how segregated is that?
I’d say you’re delusional. Your hate and resentment can’t build and run anything, let alone an entire society. Hell, your “side” Can’t even create and run an effective social media company. Yes, you can wreck crap. But you can’t create. You can kill off the people on your “side” because you’d rather die than accept facts. But you can’t create healthcare for your people or make their lives better. All hate does is destroy. If your bizarre dystopia actually happened, you’d be at each other’s throats in days. All those people people you think are on your side would turn on you. That’s what movements based on hate do. They’ll always find an enemy to hate — including the members of your own “side.”

You’re living off a hell of your own choosing. And if there were a next life, you’d create your own hell there, too.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

If your bizarre dystopia actually happened,
Most of my bizarre dystopia has already happened. We're moving toward parallel economies. What's funny is that I had no need to return to Twitter when conservatives were allowed back in because Truth Social had already become available on my android.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I am quite happy these days I've never registered with Twitter.

I wish I could claim the same about Facebook, the only platform in which I have registered.

Social media is poison.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Some Schmo wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:28 pm
I am quite happy these days I've never registered with Twitter.

I wish I could claim the same about Facebook, the only platform in which I have registered.

Social media is poison.
Finally something upon which we can both agree.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Your hate and resentment can’t build and run anything,

We're welcoming huge numbers of conservatives into red states that are fleeing blue states every day. And I don't mean indigent and unskilled illegal immigrants coming to have babies on the taxpayer dime. I mean productive, responsible, Christian people who can and will contribute right away.
Hell, your “side” Can’t even create and run an effective social media company.
??? There's an entire world of right wing social media.

Yes, you can wreck crap.
You can kill off the people on your “side” because you’d rather die than accept facts.
No we were just smart enough to realize that Fauci's insistence that unvaccinated people are spreading COVID at an enormously higher rate than vaccinated people was a line of crap. While you were cowering in fear and eating your savings, we were working.

But you can’t create healthcare for your people or make their lives better.
I have the best healthcare this world has to offer and so does my family. You know why, because I pay for it myself out of pocket.
If your bizarre dystopia actually happened, you’d be at each other’s throats in days.
But we're not. It's the inner city where black people are shooting each other for a pair of sneakers.

All those people people you think are on your side would turn on you. That’s what movements based on hate do. They’ll always find an enemy to hate — including the members of your own “side.”
You’re living off a hell of your own choosing. And if there were a next life, you’d create your own hell there, too.
The afterlife will be the most segregated place you've ever seen. We're going to find ourselves living around people much like ourselves. It's what we deserve. I can be more than happy with that. And I'll continue to have the opportunity to improve my lot. Your own decisions are all that ultimately matter Res Ipsa.
Veritas
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:16 pm
But you can’t create healthcare for your people or make their lives better.
I have the best healthcare this world has to offer and so does my family. You know why, because I pay for it myself out of pocket.
That doesn’t make whatever healthcare you’re using ‘the best’. It just makes it the most expensive, and limits your choices.

If your bizarre dystopia actually happened, you’d be at each other’s throats in days.
But we're not. It's the inner city where black people are shooting each other for a pair of sneakers.
When your own version of dystopia hits, you’ll be doing the same over a good pair of boots.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Hawkeye wrote:

We're welcoming huge numbers of conservatives into red states that are fleeing blue states every day. And I don't mean indigent and unskilled illegal immigrants coming to have babies on the taxpayer dime. I mean productive, responsible, Christian people who can and will contribute right away.
I love it when Republicans like you choose to live in a delusional bubble, because it means you're just going to continue repeating the same mistakes and keep losing elections. You folks were saying this nonsense back when Georgia was a Red state. Back when Texas was never coming close to being a Purple state. Atlanta is becoming darker blue because of all the high tech workers that are moving here from California. Several of my clients who work at Georgia Tech in Robotics have explained this to me. The folks who are the most highly educated tend to be Left. The only reason Republicans move to places like Florida and Texas is because they want to pay less in taxes. That doesn't make them harder workers, or workers at all. It means they're most likely moochers whose finances are so unstable they'd let something like state taxes dictate where they live.
Hawkeye wrote:
No we were just smart enough to realize that Fauci's insistence that unvaccinated people are spreading COVID at an enormously higher rate than vaccinated people was a line of crap. While you were cowering in fear and eating your savings, we were working.
Another hilarious piece of delusion. What you were doing more during the pandemic was dying more, which was Res' point. You can't refute it because it is a statistical fact that during the later stages of the pandemic virtually everyone who was dying from COVID were the morons like you who kept saying it was the flu, or Jesus was your vaccine. And yes, it is also a fact that idiots like the unvaccinated were spreading COVID more, particularly because they were the ones who threw caution to the wind and kept attending crowded gatherings, and even coughing on people with masks just to "stick it to the libs." You truly are a deplorable lot of miscreants.

Hawkeye wrote:
You're probably stupid enough to believe that, but the reality is all healthcare is being subsidized by taxpayer money. To some degree you're part of socialized medicine whether you want to believe it or not. (This guy claims to be a medical professional! :lol: )

[FR2 removed. -cp-] These are some of the dumbest and most racist tropes that have been around since the 70's.
The afterlife will be the most segregated place you've ever seen. We're going to find ourselves living around people much like ourselves. It's what we deserve. I can be more than happy with that. And I'll continue to have the opportunity to improve my lot. Your own decisions are all that ultimately matter Res Ipsa.
Thinks he's going to a KKK utopia! :lol:

For all of your folks who condemned me for so many years for pointing out the farce that was Ajax's so-called repentance and deconversion from Neo-Nazism, no need to apologize.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Only a racist could so quickly turn a thread about a billionaire mishandling a social media platform, into a rant about black people killing each other for a pair of shoes.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Hawkeye wrote:
I believe that you’re referring to the period of time when most of your claimed ‘lockdown’ action was occurring. There was no vaccine at that time, which would make it absolutely true that “unvaccinated people were spreading COVID at an enormously higher rate than vaccinated people”.

Technically speaking, right? : D
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Vēritās wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:38 pm
Hawkeye wrote:

I love it when Republicans like you choose to live in a delusional bubble, because it means you're just going to continue repeating the same mistakes and keep losing elections. You folks were saying this nonsense back when Georgia was a Red state. Back when Texas was never coming close to being a Purple state. Atlanta is becoming darker blue because of all the high tech workers that are moving here from California. Several of my clients who work at Georgia Tech in Robotics have explained this to me. The folks who are the most highly educated tend to be Left. The only reason Republicans move to places like Florida and Texas is because they want to pay less in taxes. That doesn't make them harder workers, or workers at all. It means they're most likely moochers whose finances are so unstable they'd let something like state taxes dictate where they live.
Hawkeye wrote:
Another hilarious piece of delusion. What you were doing more during the pandemic was dying more, which was Res' point. You can't refute it because it is a statistical fact that during the later stages of the pandemic virtually everyone who was dying from COVID were the morons like you who kept saying it was the flu, or Jesus was your vaccine. And yes, it is also a fact that idiots like the unvaccinated were spreading COVID more, particularly because they were the ones who threw caution to the wind and kept attending crowded gatherings, and even coughing on people with masks just to "stick it to the libs." You truly are a deplorable lot of miscreants.

Hawkeye wrote:
You're probably stupid enough to believe that, but the reality is all healthcare is being subsidized by taxpayer money. To some degree you're part of socialized medicine whether you want to believe it or not. (This guy claims to be a medical professional! :lol: )

[FR2 removed. -cp-] These are some of the dumbest and most racist tropes that have been around since the 70's.
Thinks he's going to a KKK utopia! :lol:

For all of your folks who condemned me for so many years for pointing out the farce that was Ajax's so-called repentance and deconversion from Neo-Nazism, no need to apologize.
If you’re referring to enforcement of the rules here, no apology has been or will be offered.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.