Republicans in Disarray

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Republicans in Disarray

Post by Res Ipsa »

Welcome to day three of Republicans in Disarray.

The Chaplain prays again. So far, she's 0-2. But hope springs eternal.

Am I the only one who thinks that these folks reciting the word "indivisible" in the pledge is ironic?

The now-traditional quorum call has been made. Only 311/434 present. Not sure if that means anything at all.

ROUND 7 -- Fight!!!

The Clerk reminds the members that among her duties is maintaining house decorum and gives a short lecture on expected House decorum.

(1) McCarthy, nominated by John James (MI). Interesting use of race by both sides in the conflict.

Reminds that last deadlock in picking a speaker was over slavery. Current differences are minor in comparison and are preventing Rs from doing what they all agree is important. Tells story about McCarthy being embarrassed because the D side of the house looked more like America than the R side. McCarthy worked to make the representation more diverse. We need to learn how to take a victory. [Pretty good nominating speech -- maybe one of the best]

(2) Jeffries

(3) Donalds, nominated by Dan Bishop (NC)

[Revival preacher style] We must take the historic opportunity to elect the first black Speaker of the House. Describes criticism of Donalds as racist. System is broken, blah, blah, blah. We mean it this time -- we're going to fix it. [Really, we promise] What they have been doing for the last two days IS the people's business. "We will go to the mat for the American people. Because we will be led by people of conviction."

Mouseketeer roll call time.

No substantive change, but a little levity. Matt Gaetz switched his prior vote from Donalds to Trump. Scott Perry, Freedom Caucus chair voted late. I saw one other of the Anti-McCarthy group vote and then bolt off the floor. I'm guessing there was some sort of meeting going on. Press reports quote Perry as saying there is no deal and claiming that McCarthy has betrayed trust by leaking information about the negotiations.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I still find myself in awe over there being enough people living in the right places to elect these assholes.

The GOP and their base have become utterly shameless, a sign they feel deep unconscious shame, as they should.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Kevin McCarthy has conceded his left testicle to Lorraine Boebert for her vote only to have her renneg on the deal after finding out both testicles have been safely stored away at Nancy Pelosi's house
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Round 8 -- Fight!!!!

(1) McCarthy, nominated by Brian Mast (Florida).

[Speech appears intended to sway veterans in the Anti-McCarthy caucus. Emphasizing unity among veterans. Extends that to unity among Rs.]

McCarthy will give us the opportunity to do the things that we want to do. He's different than other R leaders -- he'd not a McConnell or Ryan or Boehner.

(2) Jeffries, nominated by Kathleen Clark (MA)

[Clark is the new D Whip. She gave a kind of a barn burner, listing all the things the Ds did for the American people last term, that the Rs voted no on. Very different tone from other speeches nominating Jeffries]

(3) Donalds, nominated by Biggs (AZ)

We have to change, not just the rules, but the leadership.

[This is why McCarthy's perpetual concessions aren't buying him any votes.]

We're together. We're just having an internal fight. [Refocuses the issue on changing the direction of the country] But to change direction requires a change in leadership.

Voting Time.
he/him

Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Epic ditz, Lorraine Boebert, appears on MSNBC for the first time only to get an education on how the Constitution works. Stephanie Ruhle has to explain to her that she ain't getting any "policies" pushed forward without a functioning Congress, which begins only after they choose leader in the House.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw1TSGqerkA&t=379s
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

So, big picture time.

It seems likely we will see one of two scenarios. One which is very unlikely, is the House votes to change the election rules to require only a plurality of votes to become the next speaker. I only see this happening if McCarthy absolutely refuses to give in, forcing the opposition to decide if they are willing to let Jefferies become Speaker rather than McCarthy take the gavel. I don't know what the odds are, but my instincts say he'd eventually cave to pressure if there is no chance he gets the votes...and I think that's the case.

The other, most likely scenario is bad. That being, the opposition to McCarthy ultimately succeed in forcing the rest of the party to accept their rule changes AND a Speaker who gives them the outsized influence on committee assignments, House rules and business, and defines their priorities in a way that tilts the boat further in the extremist MAGA direction. Slim but unlikely possibilities McCarthy stays in and manages to get holdouts to concede in this direction himself. But he'd have to be willing to be Speaker in name only and really, really denigrate himself to get there and I think he'd ultimately drop out or go nuclear with the plurality change first.

I think there is practically a zero percent chance a moderate Republicans becomes Speaker. The margin is too slim, the entrenched have no incentive to give in. Shamelessness has it's advantages...

I'm feeling dark about this the more I watch. I think the odds are this grabs the Overton window and yanks it hard. Plus, if they end up successful, expect the next Democrat majority to find itself in the same situation. This genie won't go back in the bottle easily.
Last edited by honorentheos on Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Gaetz nominated Trump. 🤡 🎪

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:26 pm

- Doc
I am surprised it took this long.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

No substantive change in Round 8. Two dissenters switched to Kevin Hearn of OK. Gaetz stuck with Trump. One "present."

Round 9 -- Fight!!!!!

(1) McCarthy, nominated by Troy Nehls (Texas) (member of the Freedom Caucus)

We must come together today and work toward the change the country needs.

(2) Jeffries

(3) Donalds, Matt Rosendale (MT)

(4) Kevin Hearn (OK), nominated by Boebert (CO)

Gee, this is great. I love this debate. This is the longest debate we've had in a long time. I just love the conversations. We should just do this forever [slight exaggeration]

Hearn is a conservative, but he's not mad about it. [????]

Vote!
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:26 pm

- Doc
I don't think he nominated Trump. The reps aren't restricted to voting for nominees. So far, he's voted for Trump in two rounds. Both of those votes were included in the "other" total.
he/him