Church Historian Admits “Compelling Evidence to Doubt” Mormonism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Re: Church Historian Admits “Compelling Evidence to Doubt” Mormonism

Post by MG 2.0 »

consiglieri wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:35 pm
My old missionary companion, Elder Kyle S Mckay, currently the Church Historian, recently admitted in a public devotional at BYU Idaho that there is “compelling evidence to doubt” Mormonism.

It isn’t easy to disagree with him…

https://video.byui.edu/media/t/1_emz6rix1
Wow. That’s powerful. Jesus is the answer.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Everyone should at least listen to the complete talk.

You’re right. It isn’t easy to disagree with him.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Failed Prophecy wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:18 pm
Is there a timestamp?

It's not that I don't want to watch the whole thing, it's just that I really don't want to watch the whole thing.
It’s worth it. Less than a half hour of your time.

Regards,
MG
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I liked his talk. While I have some agreements with him, I have MUCH to disagree with him on however, so look for a new Backyard Professor Responds video very soon.
Thanks Consig for calling this brainwashing faith-promoting, though severely flawed discussion to our attention.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:52 pm
I liked his talk. While I have some agreements with him, I have MUCH to disagree with him on however, so look for a new Backyard Professor Responds video very soon.
Thanks Consig for calling this brainwashing faith-promoting, though severely flawed discussion to our attention.
Brainwashing? Only if you think that his admonition to gain your own testimony of Christ is manipulative. The onus is completely on us to follow through and work on developing a faith/testimony of/in Christ and His Gospel.

I enjoyed the story of Jane Elizabeth Manning James.

Do you also find fault with her and her testimony?

The wiles of the Devil section are worth giving consideration to.

I’ll have to listen to your presentation.

Regards,
MG
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:01 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:52 pm
Brainwashing? Only if you think that his admonition to gain your own testimony of Christ is manipulative. The onus is completely on us to follow through and work on developing a faith/testimony of/in Christ and His Gospel.

I enjoyed the story of Jane Elizabeth Manning James.

Do you also find fault with her and her testimony?

The wiles of the Devil section are worth giving consideration to.

I’ll have to listen to your presentation.

Regards,
MG
Yes, you will have to listen to my presentation to come forth soon, very soon.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I listened to some of this, I pretty sure the parts referred to, but I only heard a general reference to we all encounter reasons to doubt. Not a word about what they could be or if the reasons are in any way compelling. In fact it was clear that the speaker felt there were no valid doubts.

I could not help but notice the gentle transitions. First there is the the idea we need to build on the foundation that Jesus referred to in the sermon on the mount (we need to act on his teaching). That easily became for much of the presentation, build on a faith in Jesus as he is reliable. Nearer the end this switched to have faith in the version of the gospel presented by the LDS church, or build your faith on belief in the LDS church.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:16 am
I listened to some of this, I pretty sure the parts referred to, but I only heard a general reference to we all encounter reasons to doubt. Not a word about what they could be or if the reasons are in any way compelling. In fact it was clear that the speaker felt there were no valid doubts.

I could not help but notice the gentle transitions. First there is the the idea we need to build on the foundation that Jesus referred to in the sermon on the mount (we need to act on his teaching). That easily became for much of the presentation, build on a faith in Jesus as he is reliable. Nearer the end this switched to have faith in the version of the gospel presented by the LDS church, or build your faith on belief in the LDS church.
Well, he wouldn't want to suffer the same fate as Poelman, right?
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

malkie wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:16 am
If you listened to his talk I think we would agree that there would be little or no chance this would happen.

Powerful sermon. It would be a bit difficult for some folks to listen to. Cuts to the chase.

Regards,
MG
2bizE
Nursery

Post by 2bizE »

Ask any official church historian and they will tell you that to be a church historian takes extensive education and experience and a life-long commitment to the practice of Law.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:29 am
malkie wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:16 am
If you listened to his talk I think we would agree that there would be little or no chance this would happen.

Powerful sermon. It would be a bit difficult for some folks to listen to. Cuts to the chase.

Regards,
MG
Actually it is a morass of confusions, and extremely misleading, as I shall demonstrate extensively in my response.