Is DCP's New Film Already Dead?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Is DCP's New Film Already Dead?

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Lol, poor guy. It's killing him not being a GA.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:43 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:18 am
slightly off topic but over at you-know-where, someone gave the Easter address in sacrament meeting. It has all these footnotes and everything, so obviously it's recycled. Looks like it goes back to at least 2011.

https://www.deseret.com/2011/4/21/20371 ... ter-sunday

I guess the Lord is so important to him that he didn't have the time to write original material for his address?
It gets worse, if you can believe it. Check it out:
Daniel Peterson wrote:I’ve had a number of people ask whether I could share a link to a video of my remarks on Easter Sunday. Not feeling entirely comfortable (or authorized) to treat a sacrament meeting talk that way, though, I sat down today with my friend Tom Pittman and recorded it. The talk is now available on YouTube as “Truly He has risen!” My delivery seems a bit lifeless to me, as I watch it now — sometimes a live audience is energizing — but I suppose it will serve the purpose.
Why not just refer people to the Deseret article? I don't get the logic behind his piousness: does merely reading something aloud in Sacrament Meeting automatically imbue it with some kind of sacredness?

Remember when Savannah had her microphone turned off during sacrement meeting? https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2017/06 ... y-trnd.cnn. This is the culture surrounding what is considered sacred during Mormon meetings. Strangely though, Brad Wilcox can speak horrific racist rants and nobody turns his microphone off.
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

Rivendale wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:54 pm
Remember when Savannah had her microphone turned off during sacrement meeting? https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2017/06 ... y-trnd.cnn.
I was just thinking about that. She must be ~18 now. Wonder how she's doing. The last I remember seeing about her was this VR production of her testimony...

https://www.sltrib.com/artsliving/2019/ ... l-reality/
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

cinepro wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:21 pm
Rivendale wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:54 pm
Remember when Savannah had her microphone turned off during sacrement meeting? https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2017/06 ... y-trnd.cnn.
I was just thinking about that. She must be ~18 now. Wonder how she's doing. The last I remember seeing about her was this VR production of her testimony...

https://www.sltrib.com/artsliving/2019/ ... l-reality/
Here mom left this. https://old.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... annah_the/
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:12 am
Thanks very much for the review, Tom. It seems that the Interpreter Radio Show continues to struggle. Is it true that this actually *airs* in an actual radio station that broadcasts along the Wasatch Front? The quality of the program is shockingly bad—from the cheesy classical theme music (reminiscent, perhaps, of the Alaistair Cookie skit from Sesame Street?), to the persistent technical difficulties.

And my! Mr. Densley was *quite* curt with Dr. Peterson, sternly admonishing him for the poor sound quality that, candidly, really detracts from the show. Perhaps they should funnel some of those donations towards some decent sound equipment?

I confess that I couldn’t make it very far into the show, so I am grateful for your summary, Tom.
You're welcome. It's my service to the Kingdom. I've heard allegations that the program airs on a Utah ham radio station of some type, but I haven't been able to confirm those allegations.

It's well past time to retire the opening bit. I have yet to hear any "debate" on the show (it's too bad that the show doesn't take calls), and the claim that the program provides "the latest information on all kinds of religious issues and topics" is wildly overstated. I would recommend replacing the generic classical music intro with a clip from Gene Loves Jezebel's "Jealous."
Last edited by Tom on Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:05 am
I tried listening to exactly one Interpreter radio broadcast.

It consisted of DCP at home, calling into the show, losing connection every 30 seconds. The 30 seconds he was on air consisted of him insisting he hadn’t moved from the spot and doesn’t know what is causing it.

It’s really amateur hour. And clearly Heavenly Father isn’t helping them out with the electromagnetic waves. I guess Satan doesn’t only rule the water.
I remember that particular broadcast well. In fact, I have nominated it for preservation in the Cassius Library's Mopologetic Recording Registry.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:05 am
I tried listening to exactly one Interpreter radio broadcast.

It consisted of DCP at home, calling into the show, losing connection every 30 seconds. The 30 seconds he was on air consisted of him insisting he hadn’t moved from the spot and doesn’t know what is causing it.

It’s really amateur hour. And clearly Heavenly Father isn’t helping them out with the electromagnetic waves. I guess Satan doesn’t only rule the water.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Speaking of dead films, I recently learned that the church has told the Interpreter Foundation to drop a film project.

Some background: during the Interpreter Foundation's tenth-birthday party last September, a video was shown that highlighted future film projects, including a film set in the DR Congo.

Here's a rough transcript of the video's description of the film:
On June 15, 2021, two brothers--both returned missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--set out on a mission of discovery into a remote part of the DR Congo. Their hope was to find a group of believers who had been waiting for baptism for nearly 50 years. No one knew what they would find or if they would find anything at all. Yet, with little more than a prayer in their hearts, they set out on a 1,200-kilometer journey to find those lost Saints. The journey began in 1975, when another young man thirsted for truth and turned to God in prayer. He found his answer in a dream. A dream that wouldn't let him rest. A dream that revealed to him the name of a church. This is the story of a faithful people who embraced The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints nearly 50 years ago, with the hope that someday they would be given priesthood authority to worship, to heal, and to one day enter a temple they had never seen.

Man: "I need to be baptized also to have a church here in this area. I'll be very happy."

Another man: "For me, I received this church from the hands of my parents."

Woman: "I have twelve children. All of them are members of the Church of Jesus Christ. But not yet baptized."

Words on screen: "They are waiting. They have lived in faith. Lost Saints of the DR Congo.
During a recent Interpreter Radio Show broadcast, cohost Terry Hutchinson mentioned the film project and asked if the lost Saints were ever found.

Hutchinson: "I'm still trying to find out--my wife is still trying to find out: did they ever find them?"

Dr. Peterson: "Well, the funny thing is..."

Hutchinson: "Or is there a spoiler alert and we're just not going to say..."

Peterson: "Well, it's worse than that. We've been sort of told, 'Don't tell this story.'"

Hutchinson: "Oh. Interesting."

Peterson: "'Tell a different story.' So we're going to tell other stories. But I think the Church wants to be really careful with that one. So they knew about it and at first we had a green light and then they said, 'Oh, uhhh, you need to change your focus a little bit.' So I think we won't be doing that."

Hutchinson: "Well, considering some of the political dynamics over there, I could see that."

Peterson: "Yeah."

Dr. Peterson didn't elaborate.

But not to worry: the Interpreter Foundation will be producing some short videos about the people and the history of the Church of Jesus Christ in the DR Congo. And Dr. Peterson is asking for contributions. He writes: "please let us know that your donations are for the 'Congo Project.'"
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Thanks Tom, this is incredibly revealing. So DCP is doing a film on Saints trying to find other Saints, and doesn't know if they were actually found? But when asked about it, and confirming it wasn't known if they were found, he says there's something worse than maybe the Saints never actually found each other, he isn't allowed to make his film about it?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Here's a rough transcript of the video's description of the film:
On June 15, 2021, two brothers--both returned missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--set out on a mission of discovery into a remote part of the DR Congo. Their hope was to find a group of believers who had been waiting for baptism for nearly 50 years. No one knew what they would find or if they would find anything at all. Yet, with little more than a prayer in their hearts, they set out on a 1,200-kilometer journey to find those lost Saints. The journey began in 1975, when another young man thirsted for truth and turned to God in prayer. He found his answer in a dream. A dream that wouldn't let him rest. A dream that revealed to him the name of a church. This is the story of a faithful people who embraced The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints nearly 50 years ago, with the hope that someday they would be given priesthood authority to worship, to heal, and to one day enter a temple they had never seen.
I feel like I've heard this Mormon myth about several other locations as well....