Hello Boys!! Atlanticmike here!! Just introducing myself

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Hello Boys!! Atlanticmike here!! Just introducing myself

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I found this:

http://www.utlm.org/newsletters/no89.htm

It appears Joseph Smith gleaned quite a few ideas from the apocrypha. I recommend critical race theory.+F “A LIST OF PARALLELS”. An excerpt:
In view of the evidence it seems obvious that Joseph Smith read at least portions of the Apocrypha before writing the book of First Nephi. He was apparently familiar with the book of Judith and both First and Second Maccabees. From these three books he absorbed portions that he combined into one story in the Book of Mormon.
There’s an excellent numbered list of parallels that follow the statement above.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:37 pm
Fence Sitter wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:04 pm
One coud pay extra to get a version with more pictures, the apocrypha and other things.
Speaking if apocrypha, and it appears you’re dialed into Bible things, so do you know if the apocrypha, any of its ideas, snuck into Mormon ideology?

-Doc
Yes it did.
Nephi is a name found in 2 Maccabees of the Apocrypha.

As to how extensive that influence was I suggest this short article by Thom Wayment.

Joseph Smith’s Developing Relationship with the Apocryph

Wayment concludes with:
The surviving evidence favors the conclusion that Joseph Smith was influenced directly by the Apocrypha. As a reader of the Bible, Joseph would have encountered the Apocrypha during personal or family reading of the Bible. Those early experiences are now rather difficult to trace, but the presence of several names in the Book of Mormon that have parallels to unique names in the Apocrypha suggest that these Apocryphal names may have influenced Joseph in some way. These names, places, and events might have become a part of Joseph’s vocabulary, surfacing perhaps randomly in the translation of the Book of Mormon.

Because those same apocryphal writings do not bear any direct influence on the narrative structure of the Book of Mormon, it is unlikely that the parallels between them are anything more than memories that surfaced in Joseph’s thoughts during the translation process; reports of the translation confirm that no outside books were used or consulted during that time. Joseph may not have even been aware that the parallels between some books of the Apocrypha and the Book of Mormon existed. The process of translation relied in part upon Joseph and his personal abilities.
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Post by Bought Yahoo »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:17 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:29 pm
Welcome, Mike.

Why are you guys so personally upset that most of us in the Terrestrial forum have no desire whatsoever to peek into the Paradise forum and pretend that drama is interesting? I mean I get Lem brought it here into one thread when she talked about a couple of trolls, which I assume is you and Cultellus. Can we at minimum leave it in that thread?

Also, I hate to be that guy, but, could you please fix all of your "could ofs" to "could haves"? It's eating at me like nothing has before.
dastardly stem, are you actually Scott Lloyd in disguise and have now followed me over here from MD&D so you can keep picking on my terrible grammar and punctuation skills?? 😂. Just kidding. I drove Scott crazy with my "unique" writing skills. Tell ya what, I'll work on my grammar in the next couple of days. But, I don't mind constructive criticism and if you want to save me the time of researching what the heck you are talking about feel free to give me a free lesson.
Moron.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:10 am

Moron.
Bought,

Acting like a dick hasn’t made yours any bigger.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Post by Bought Yahoo »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:15 am
Bought Yahoo wrote:

Moron.
Bought,

I see Bill Reel has lost weight. Good for him. No longer a dough boy.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Atlanticmike wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:17 pm

dastardly stem, are you actually Scott Lloyd in disguise and have now followed me over here from MD&D so you can keep picking on my terrible grammar and punctuation skills?? 😂. Just kidding. I drove Scott crazy with my "unique" writing skills. Tell ya what, I'll work on my grammar in the next couple of days. But, I don't mind constructive criticism and if you want to save me the time of researching what the heck you are talking about feel free to give me a free lesson.
Moron.
Hey!! Bought Yahoo!! Dastardly stem and I were having a great conversation, there was no need for you to come along and call him a moron. Be nice! Everybody Wang Chung was correct Bought Yahoo! Acting like a dick doesn't make your micro penis any bigger, so far, surgery is the only option for men with your "problem". 😁
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Bought Yahoo wrote:

Moron.
Bought,

It seems it's almost a universal thing that almost all boys want a bigger one. It's part of the human experience in learning to value and appreciate what we have even though it seems like less than what we want. It's my understanding that men who call other men a "dick" are very much focused on their own and may have negative thoughts about their own member. Men who have a healthy attitude and respect for their own member don't naturally use that word to insult other men.

Sorry, Bought, but you tipped your hand. You can't fool us boyz. We know about these things.

;)
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Post by Bought Yahoo »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:42 am
Bought Yahoo wrote:

Moron.
Hey!! Bought Yahoo!! Dastardly stem and I were having a great conversation, there was no need for you to come along and call him a moron. Be nice! Everybody Wang Chung was correct Bought Yahoo! Acting like a dick doesn't make your micro penis any bigger, so far, surgery is the only option for men with your "problem". 😁
There is no forgiveness for being moronic in a place like this. Tolerance perhaps yes. You need to think up your own insults, Bill.

And I own being a dick. To a select few however. You have proven over the years to be an uneducated attention whore, possibly with a learning disability, and with a very thin skin. I love it.
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Post by Bought Yahoo »

Shulem wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:12 am

Bought,

It seems it's almost a universal thing that almost all boys want a bigger one. It's part of the human experience in learning to value and appreciate what we have even though it seems like less than what we want. It's my understanding that men who call other men a "dick" are very much focused on their own and may have negative thoughts about their own member. Men who have a healthy attitude and respect for their own member don't naturally use that word to insult other men.

Sorry, Bought, but you tipped your hand. You can't fool us boyz. We know about these things.

;)
I hope you take no offense if I don't respond to your posts. I learn zero from them. Just me not you.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:23 am
I hope you take no offense if I don't respond to your posts. I learn zero from them. Just me not you.

I take no offense to your lack of response or your lack of learning. You carry on in any manner that floats your boat. I understand you have your problems and deal with them how you think best.