Numbers...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Re: Numbers...

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Valo wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:01 pm
If you're smart or maybe just following along, perhaps you are starting to see a theme here.

This man went to authority A to tell him what his life means. This man went to authority Y. This man pretends he doesn't care about meaning. While that man says, no, you'll find meaning right here with the authority of the many, etc. and so on.

But nobody really knows. Just because we've come to an agreement not to destroy one another doesn't mean we know. And while all of this is going on, most everyone is ignoring what they really want. Or pretending that what they really want is virtue and goodness and all the glory of God when in reality they want food, sex, and power.

That's the thing that most ignore or pretend doesn't exist. We have our social norms, you know. Gotta make sure I look my best. When I'm out here posting, I got my ego, my persona. "Hey, check it, I'm the cool cat! Yeah!" or whatever.

Underneath, however, unless you aren't human, maybe, then you have these needs, these wants, these desires. So when we were kids we wanted ice cream and were told if you do your chores you'll get ice cream. And so we did our chores, we followed the rules, and all of that, so we could get the price or not be destroyed. Then when we grow up, we get more sophisticated. Now instead of ice cream, we want "heaven"! :D And we play and pretend like we want holiness and goodness and virtue and to be honest! Oh we put on a good show every Sunday! Oh, I'm so sorry Lord for lusting after that woman, I know one day when I'm in heaven with you I won't do that, but hey I'd like to put my guilt and shame on you by taking this bread and water! Catch ya later Jesus, til next week!

So we have people here pretending they haven't just pawned off their sense of meaning to another supposed authority, or pretend they know, or pretending they don't care about meaning, all the while they have carefully constructed and most carefully each day they do things to maintain their fragile built on sand world view and meaning.
Get what you are saying but I don't think I personally follow this.

As a child, I knew there was no point wanting ice cream. As a child I wanted heaven.
Power, money, looking good has never been something I desire. Power feels tiresome. Money brings its own problems. I don't dress to impress. I wear comfort. I don't wear makeup unless I'm going on a date with my husband and purely because I am trying to make it feel like it's a big deal and not just a meal out.

I don't believe everyone is purely a Sunday Christian. There were plenty of Mormons I knew who lived it. Who prayed at all their mealtimes. I felt the spirit more in members homes than I did at church. Maybe that was just that some of them had a sense of peace around them. Their homes were decorated similar to the temple. Lots of white and creams.

I can see the point you are trying to make. There can be a sense of hypocrisy in this world. But I do believe there are people with kindness in their hearts.

Your dream sounds stressful lol. 3 is 8 split down the middle.

I have lots of cryptic dreams. I am able to lucid dream. I tend to visualise myself in the sun and feel the heat on me when I'm in pain and it soothes me.
Valo
Deacon

Post by Valo »

Marcus wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:15 pm
Valo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 3:17 pm
I was saying that? How do you know? How long are we gonna play this game where you make stuff up instead of engaging with me with sincerity?

I am playing a game. Here are the rules. If you want to play with me you have to play by the same rules:

1. I do not lie
2. I am authentic
3. I am sincere...
Yes, you've mentioned several times you do not lie. :roll: People who don't lie usually don't have to keep mentioning that, so you'll understand the skepticism.

What game are you playing?
Let me do a search and see how many times I've said "I do not lie" here. Brb... :)
Imwashingmypirate
God

Marcus wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 1:33 am
Valo wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:30 pm

What did you discover from my post that revealed to you what I am doing here?

Were curious about why I am here? You could've just asked me.
Didn't need to, your detailed self-description of why people post here was very clear.
I thought it was about life. Didn't pick up that it was about posting on the forums which might be why valo is asking what you are talking about.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Think the discussion got lost. People seem to end up nitpicking at each other instead of discussing.

Valo, you said what argument... This is a discussion forum and discussion in this sense can be translated as a debate which can be translated as an argument. So everything posted here is in some way or another an argument. ;) we have to just try our best to be constructive and make sense :P
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:40 pm
Marcus wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 1:33 am

Didn't need to, your detailed self-description of why people post here was very clear.
I thought it was about life. Didn't pick up that it was about posting on the forums which might be why valo is asking what you are talking about.
I was referring to this post:
Valo wrote:
So we have people here pretending they haven't just pawned off their sense of meaning to another supposed authority, or pretend they know, or pretending they don't care about meaning, all the while they have carefully constructed and most carefully each day they do things to maintain their fragile built on sand world view and meaning.
[bolding added.]
Valo
Deacon

Post by Valo »

Marcus wrote:
Valo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 3:17 pm
I was saying that? How do you know? How long are we gonna play this game where you make stuff up instead of engaging with me with sincerity?

I am playing a game. Here are the rules. If you want to play with me you have to play by the same rules:

1. I do not lie
2. I am authentic
3. I am sincere...
Yes, you've mentioned several times you do not lie. :roll: People who don't lie usually don't have to keep mentioning that, so you'll understand the skepticism.

Okay, as far as I can tell I have not mentioned that several times. I mean if I take my life as a whole, I've said it "several times" but not in this context, not to you, and not here. So, care to explain?

As far as what game? I just told you. :D

I am playing the game where the rules are:

1. I do not lie
2. I am sincere
3. I am authentic

Yeah, just being yourself is a game because life is a game, it's a play. I am playing and so are you. I am being upfront with you about the fact that I am playing and I am telling you what my rules are.

But that's not what you are apparently used to. Most people aren't. This is an example of the idea I have been teaching. We project on to other people our fears and our insecurities. If we haven't accepted ourselves as we are then we cannot accept others as they are. And so we see others the way we see ourselves, quite often.
Valo
Deacon

Post by Valo »

Marcus wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:51 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:

Valo wrote:
[bolding added.]
The Spirit said those words. Where is "Here" to the Spirit?

Did those words sting or cause you offense?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Valo wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Okay, as far as I can tell I have not mentioned that several times. I mean if I take my life as a whole, I've said it "several times" but not in this context, not to you, and not here. So, care to explain?

As far as what game? I just told you. :D

I am playing the game where the rules are:

1. I do not lie
2. I am sincere
3. I am authentic

Yeah, just being yourself is a game because life is a game, it's a play. I am playing and so are you. I am being upfront with you about the fact that I am playing and I am telling you what my rules are.

But that's not what you are apparently used to. Most people aren't. This is an example of the idea I have been teaching. We project on to other people our fears and our insecurities. If we haven't accepted ourselves as we are then we cannot accept others as they are. And so we see others the way we see ourselves, quite often.
Gotcha. Your last paragraph is a great explanation of why you seeing life as a game means you project that everyone sees life the same way, even when they don't.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Marcus wrote:
Imwashingmypirate wrote:

Valo wrote:
[bolding added.]
Thanks for explaining.

I just took it to mean a broad sense. Like the rest of the post was talking about people on general and then applying it to particular people as if to reaffirm and maybe have a dig.
As a sort of after thought.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Valo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:56 pm
Marcus wrote:
[bolding added.]
...Did those words sting or cause you offense?
Lol, no.